Civil War Gun Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War Gun Kits

I have been looking for some company that well sell a decent reproduction rifle or musket kit. Sadly though I can't find any. So can anyone help me find someone who sell weapon kits?

Michael Mumaugh
    51st ALA. INF.
    Michael Mumaugh
    Interpretive Ranger Mansfield SHS
    Independent Rifles

"Fall of the Rebellion"
    Outpost III
    Pickett's Mill
    Bummers

"Desertion of Alabama troops in the Civil War was a manifestation of sectionalism in the state, due largely to the prevalence of poverty"-Bessie Martin

Re: Civil War Gun Kits

Hallo!

IMHO, to get decent answers, you may wnat to perhaps define your vision of "kit?"

Meaning, "kits" can be a rectangular plank of walnut and "component" parts straight from the casting mold.
    And range up the ladder of "completeness" or "prefinished work" such as morticing by percentages. Such as a "90-95% kit" that is "finished in the white" and just needs disaasembled, metal final polished, and wood stained and oil/finished.
    (Just about ANY Civil War longarm can be "built" from "parts." However, the
    80-95% range of "kits" IMHO is limited to just a few the Italian Springfield or Enfield offerings.)

Plus, the range of "kits" from a collection of components to a "finished in the white" requires a number of things such as some experience in gun building or gun smithing, sundry tools, and a place to work. (I am thinking Once Upon a Time when I started out with a Navy Arms "Brown Bess" 80% kit with no instructions, and me with no experience or knowledge, and a few screwdrivers and a power drill. Thank Goodness for walnut colored PLASTIC WOOD...)

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

well I don't think I am good enough for the more primitive starting kits. I looking for something that will take some skill but yet something that an armature gun enthusiast can do.

So what I am asking is for a kit that will take some work on my part but most of the metal pieces are near complete (may need sanding and assembly) by the company.

Michael Mumaugh
      51st Alabama
      Michael Mumaugh
      Independent Rifles

"Fall of the Rebellion"
      Outpost III
      Pickett's Mill
      Bummers

"Desertion of Alabama troops in the Civil War was a manifestation of sectionalism in the state, due largely to the prevalence of poverty"-Bessie Martin

Comment

Mike-
        To more or less echo what Kurt just said, most of the gun "kits"
        available on today's market, requite mid to advanced skill level
        to assemble. Almost all require some form of inletting, as well as
        sanding, filing and etc. It totally depends on how much time and
        effort you want to devote to the gun. The rifle shoppe, probably
        has the parts to most pre-cartridge firearms available...IF you
        have the time to wait on them, aslo track of the wolf is another
        company that deals with parts, kits and custom to semi-custom
        pre 1900 fire arms. Track is faster that the rifle shoppe as far
        as parts goes. Buying a repro navy armes,armi sport or etc
        ACW era firearm may be your best bet, and then "de-farbing"
        it your self may be a route you may want to explore.

You can find more on the subject of de-farbing by
        using the search feature on this site.

Good luck

Jeff Prechtel
        Jeff Prechtel

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
        -Cezanne

Comment

A couple of years ago a friend found a CVA kit for a Colt .31 pocket pistol at a gun show, which I purchased and assembled. "Assembly" (in the sense of screwing everything together) was fairly easy, but getting it to actually work required considerable careful fitting of parts. In particular, the bolt hole on the cylinder stop was about a mm or so off, which meant that the pistol jammed every time the hammer was pulled back. Taking off just the right amount of metal to get it working smoothly required much careful filing. The grip also required considerable work, as it was simply a blank. (I'm still working on the final sanding for the grip.)
          A very satisfying and educational project, once done, but not something to be undertaken lightly.
          Mick Cole

Comment

Hallo!

That helps, thanks.
            It is always difficult making "recommendations" over a board or forum because it is hard to know what experience, skills, tools, faciities a lad may have or not have.
            I would hate to recommend a $1,000 worth of components to a lad who can only build a $200 gun. Or recommend an Italian or Japanese kit for say $500 to lad who wants and can built an exacting copy from historically accurate component parts.

That being said, have a look at the commercial Japanese or Italian M1861 and/or M1863 Springfield kits on the market, such as those offered by Dixie Gun Works. (Navy Arms used to but I do not have a recent catalog...)???
            If they match your building "skill set" and "tool chest" range, see if that meets your needs and wants?

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I am a great wood worker but when it comes to metal it is touch and go on that. But agian thanks for the leads and Ideas! :D

Michael Mumaugh
              51st Alabama INF
              Michael Mumaugh
              Independent Rifles

"Fall of the Rebellion"
              Outpost III
              Pickett's Mill
              Bummers

Comment

Working...
              X