Revival in the ranks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revival in the ranks

In early 1864 the AOT saw many of her men take a deep interest in religion.

" Near Dalton, Georgia April 5th, 1864 - I have never seen such a spirit as there is now in the army. Religion is the theme. Everywhere, you hear around the campfires at night the sweet songs of Zion... I witnessed a scene the other evening, which did my heart good - the baptism of three men in the creek near the encampment... What a change, what a change! when a year ago card playing and profane language seemed to be the order of the day."

" In camp, Near Dalton, Ga.April 18, 1864 - The good work still does on here. Thirty-one men where baptized at the creek below our brigade yesterday, and I have heard from several other brigades in which the proportion is equally large. Taking the proportion in the whole army as heard from, and I have heard from only a part of one corps, the must have been baptized yesterday 150 persons- maybe 200."

"Near Dalton, May 5th, 1864 - The great revival is still going on with widening and depening interest. Last Sabbath I saw eighty-three immersed at the creek below our brigade... Yesterday I saw sixty-five more baptized."

"Army of Tennessee, May 31st, 1864 - Well, perhaps you would like to hear something from me of the battle of New Hope Church, on Friday evening,27th inst... Major Kennard, was, as usual, encouraging the men by his battle-cry of, ' Put your trust in God, men, for He is with us', but concluding to talk to the Yankees awhile , sang out to them, 'Come on, we are demoralized', when the Major was pretty severely wounded in the head, though not seriously, raising himself up, he said, 'Boys, I told them lie, and I believe that is the reason I got shot'."

Letters of Officer Thomas J. Stokes, AOT, from the book "Life in Dixi during the War" Mary A.H. Gay

I am curious to know if there were similar revivals taking place in other armies, and the cause. My guess is after years of killing, deprivation and the like, men wanted to find some measure of peace in their lives.

Thoughts?

Carrie Craddock
    Carrie Craddock

Re: Revival in the ranks

I am curious to know if there were similar revivals taking place in other armies, and the cause. My guess is after years of killing, deprivation and the like, men wanted to find some measure of peace in their lives.

Carrie,

Yes. Probably the revivals of the Civil War years, particularly during the winter of 1863-1864, were more prevalent in the Confederate armies, but they had the effect in the blue ranks as well.

For a good summary of the revivals in the Army of Northern Virginia in 1864, see the book, "Lee's Miserables: Life in the Army of Northern Virginia from the Wilderness to Appomattox", http://www.amazon.com/Lees-Miserable...e=UTF8&s=books. I have this book, which is a modern work, and believe it to be a well-written and informative work.

Comment

The collected letter of Grant and Malinda Taylor of Pickens County, Alabama, published under the title "This Cruel War", details a number of religious singings in the camps down on the Dog River (a few miles north of Fort Gaines), as well as ones near Citronelle, and some fervernt prayers as the troops moved up towards Corinth.

Grant also reproves Malinda at one point, as word has reached him that the young folks in his home church were doing a bit too much cavorting at the home place, which Malinda had made hospitable for the teenagers to gather.
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Another good source for the Great Revival that swept through the Confederate armies in the winter of 63-64 is Steven Woodworth's While God is Marching On: The Religious World of Civil War Soldiers. Mine's at home but I think Woodworth devoted something like three chapters to the Revival and its causes. Its been a while since I've read it but one of the major causes of the Revival, which Woodworth supported with a good amount of primary accounts, was the situation of the Confederacy in 63-64. Many Southerns believed that they were being punished by God (The loss of Vicksburg and Chattanooga and the defeat at Gettysburg) because they weren't pious enough during the beginning of the War. Anyway Woodworth's book is an excellent source on this very interesting subject.
        Bill Backus

Comment

Working...
        X