• Show
Clear All

• AC mentioned in Lexington, KY Newspaper

Two horses die at re-enactment
    PARTICIPATED IN BATTLE OF PERRYVILLE EVENT OCT. 7-8
    By Greg Kocher
    CENTRAL KENTUCKY BUREAU

David Stephenson/Staff
    Horses were an integral part of the Battle of Perryville Civil War re-enactment on Oct. 7 and 8. Two horses died during the event, which took place at the Perryville Battlefield.As it turns out, there were two casualties at last weekend's national re-enactment of the Battle of Perryville: Two horses died.

The animals died during the Oct. 7 and 8 re-enactment of Kentucky's largest Civil War battle, said Gil Lawson, spokesman for the state Department of Parks.

"About all I know is that we had two horses that had to be put down," Lawson said. "We did have a veterinarian on site because we had so many horses. This was something that the veterinarian and horse owners made decisions about, but I don't have any other details. ... I'm sure these owners were devastated."

Chris Kolakowski, director of the Perryville Battlefield Preservation Association, was out Friday, and other park employees were not available for comment. Lawson said he'd heard that one horse died of a heart attack and another was put down after its leg was broken.

Lawson did not know how many horses were involved in the re-enactment. "I would guess several hundred, but I don't have a count," he said.

The re-enactment of the two-day 1862 battle drew more than 37,000 people, including 3,800 who portrayed soldiers and civilians, to the western Boyle County city.

Posts on Authentic Campaigner.com, a Web site for Civil War re-enactors, said one horse named Blue stepped in a hole and snapped its leg. And an artillery wagon horse named Clyde apparently died of a heart attack while standing in the harnesses and waiting to go on the field of Sunday's battle.

Some Web site posts indicate that the horses would be buried at the Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site, but Lawson said he had no information about that, and did not know whether that would be permitted.

One person posted a poem titled "To Clyde, in Remembrance."

We lost our Clyde this past weekend.

A steady offwheel artillery horse, faithful, tried and true.

The tearstained faces of we artillerymen,

A fitting tribute, sadly bidding a fond adieu.

We batterymates revered him, a favorite to each and all.

His calm strength and demeanor, his bright eyes and bushy mane.

To pull or brake, piece or caisson, he more than met the call,

Our memories of his loyal service shall evermore remain.

He fought his final battle on an emerald Bluegrass field

And fell at his offwheel duty post giving, to the last, his best.

The Kentucky Rangers gently laid him on a ridge near Perryville,

The Cap'n said goodbye old friend, you met our every test.

May his empty place, by Edith, on the battery picket line

Be reserved forever, as a memorial, to temper our remorse.

For surely there's a heaven for beloved artillery equine

Where old Clyde will graze forever, a truly faithful horse.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Reach Greg Kocher in the Nicholasville bureau at (859) 885-5775 or gkocher1@herald-leader.com.
    Last edited by Amtmann; 10-17-2006, 05:47 PM.
    Rick Bailey
    Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.
Working...
X