Latest Civil War Historian magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Civil War Historian magazine

What type of weapon is the reenactor holding on the front cover? We were looking it over and can't quite tell!

Re: Latest Civil War Historian magazine

According to photographer Tim Parson, it's a flintrock rifle belonging to Eli (Eli Geery). Other than that, we've no other details.

Thanks for your interest!
    Christy Martin
    Managing Editor, CWH magazine

Comment

The detail was kind of hazy, but it had characteristics of an 1816 Springfield or an 1777 Charleville, with what appears to be a flat flashguard over the lockplate.
      Ross L. Lamoreaux
      rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Guys,
        Is anyone else missing a sizeable chunk of pages, or is it just my copy? The article about RI soldiers and the candy article, as well as a later article are all missing pages?!
        Take care,
        Tom Craig
        Tom Craig

Comment

Tom,

Rumor has it the nefarious Nutmeg Boys quietly removed those now-missing pages. Did you find any little note left behind with bad poetry? That's their M.O., as you may remember. :tounge_sm
          Last edited by Charles Heath; 10-20-2006, 08:52 PM.
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Craig
            Is anyone else missing a sizeable chunk of pages, or is it just my copy? The article about RI soldiers and the candy article, as well as a later article are all missing pages?!
            I don't think my copy is missing pages, but about 12 pages in the front half of the magazine weren't cut apart from each other; I had to use a razor blade to slice 'em into separate pages so I could see what was inside. :)

It may appear they had some printing problems with this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin O'Beirne
              I don't think my copy is missing pages, but about 12 pages in the front half of the magazine weren't cut apart from each other; I had to use a razor blade to slice 'em into separate pages so I could see what was inside.
              It's probably just an authenticity upgrade. Trivia fact: that's how publications used to come.

As a reader wrote in to Harper's Monthly, September 1858, "You can form no idea how home-like and refreshing it is to cut the pages of your mirth-provoking Drawer, and enjoy the feast of good things, away over the seas, and among a strange people."

Hank Trent
              hanktrent@voyager.net
              Hank Trent

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Craig
                Guys,
                Take care,
                Tom Craig
                Tom, Send me your mailing address and I'll make sure you get another, complete, copy. I'll check with our printer to see what could have happened.

Regards,
                Christy Martin
                Managing Editor
                Civil War Historian magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin O'Beirne
                  I don't think my copy is missing pages, but about 12 pages in the front half of the magazine weren't cut apart from each other; I had to use a razor blade to slice 'em into separate pages so I could see what was inside. :)

It may appear they had some printing problems with this issue.
                  Thanks, Kevin, for letting us know about this. I'll check with our printer.

Regards,
                  Christy Martin
                  Managing Editor
                  Civil War Historian magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Ross L. Lamoreaux
                    The detail was kind of hazy, but it had characteristics of an 1816 Springfield or an 1777 Charleville, with what appears to be a flat flashguard over the lockplate.
                    I would like to say thank you. The picture was a bit hazy. It is very interesting that it is a flintlock and he is wearing I believe an English cap pouch. I am not going to dig to much deeper into this as you all have answered my question.

Thanks again,
                    Jason

Comment

Working...
                    X