Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• preserving tin types

Hi list,
    just wondering the best way to preserve and display a tin type, searched several sources and haven't really found anything...
    thanks
    thanks

Will Coffey

Why did not the Southern States wait and see whether A. Lincoln would interfere with slavery before they seceded." A federal Soldier's words left in a court clerk's office in Bennetsville, SC

Re: preserving tin types

Will

Unless they are in bad shape there isn't much you need to do short of keeping them out of direct (sun) light and handling them as little as possible.

If you can provide the rough the measurements of your images my employer will supply to you free of charge the archival materials and instructions you need for enclosure. It’s a quick, easy, “non-permanent”, but extremely effective treatment.

Look here for additional information. http://www.loc.gov/preserv/care/photolea.html

The material we supply meets or exceeds specifications of the latest revision of ISO 18902 including the Photographic Activity Test (PAT) ISO 18916

PM me if you are interested.
    John-Owen Kline

Comment

And to partially answer the display question.

John-Owen Kline

Comment

Will,

John is correct and has provided a good link for you. Any UV light is going to be very harmful to a tintype, and that includes flourescent lighting. I have seen many original tintypes that have become so dark from continual exposure to light that the subject matter is unrecognizable now. Humidity is another concern. Moisture will effect the tin and cause rust. Once rust sets in, the emulsion will begin to flake off the tin base. Don't keep the tintype in a high humidity area.

Archivist
        Scott Cross
        "Old and in the Way"

Comment

I don't know about anyone else, but I took mine to a camera shop and had negatives made just in case. I keep mine on a shaded shelf.
          [FONT=Century Gothic]Alan Poor/Independent[/FONT]

Comment

...to a camera shop... had negatives made ...
            Before you go running out to do this remember that photographers are not necessarily conservators and may not have equipment that is safe for your images. Most flatbed scanners and photo strobes are very harmful to these historic artifacts. Bright focused light is bright focused light. It does not matter where it comes from.

Don’t confuse restoration with conservation either.
            John-Owen Kline

Comment

Just to add my two cents, even though a bit late. Try to find archival polypropylene or polyethylene (plastic) sleeves for your tintypes. They provided a great layer between the image and the environment. I second all of the other advice already given in regards to preventative conservation - avoiding humidity/moisture, avoiding long exposure light, and handling with care. Mechanical damage is the worst - bending etc.

Check this site out for great detail in conservation and more links to other sites online: AIC It was a great resource for me in my college course-work in Art Conservation.

I'll check for other suppliers of conservation materials and re-post.

Regards,
              [SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Matt Mickletz[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Garamond][COLOR="#800000"][/COLOR][I]Liberty Rifles[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

I have about 6 original tins that I would like to frame in a period-type frame like the one on AC cover. Is anyone producing such? Also, in my display cabinet, just for my tins, I place several of those preservative things you get with new shoes and coats, also works well in gun cases.

Josh Martin Harn

Comment

Originally posted by Cpl.Jmartin
                  I have about 6 original tins that I would like to frame in a period-type frame like the one on AC cover. Is anyone producing such? Also, in my display cabinet, just for my tins, I place several of those preservative things you get with new shoes and coats, also works well in gun cases.

Josh Martin Harn
                  Josh,

I'm not sure if anyone is reproducing the brass mats and preservers . . . that's what I think you mean. I know thre is someone reproducing the cases, but not cheaply. I tried doing a quick search on the forums for a link to the company, as I believe it was posted here once long ago, but haven't found it yet. I'll dig again.

Otherwise, check Ebay, you can find Lots of just preservers and mats for not too bad of a price. That dates of production may not match for the date of the image though. There is actually a whole book out dealing only with mats and cases. I have yet to get my hands on it, maybe a Christmas gift.

Most tins were left caseless back in the day anyhow. However, I understand the diplay purpose. I have mine in an archival binder with archival pages and have them away from heat, light and humidty.

Good point about the desicents (spelling is probably off, I'm tired) - those things you find in new shoes etc. They'll help suck up the humidty. Just keep an eye on how long the one you use will last, the material (silicon I believe) must be replaced after a while, or the whole thing replaced.

I'll repost after some more searching for mats.

Best,
                  [SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Matt Mickletz[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Garamond][COLOR="#800000"][/COLOR][I]Liberty Rifles[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

If I may, sir, about the dessicants:
                    If you don't have enough small packets, or if you have a large volume of stuff needing protection from humidity, check the cat section of your nearby large pet store for unscented, colorless crystal litter (NOT crystal blend, but the pure stuff.) Four pounds should cost five dollars or so. It's the same material in rather larger pieces. Sometimes it's easier to lay the larger pieces inside a frame, etc. It also works well for making dried flowers, since the period-correct silica sand is not that easy to come by in reasonable quantities these days.

When any silica gel is full of moisture, it can be dried overnight in an oven set to barely warm, or you can lay the packets or the larger granules in your modern dehydrator.

Becky Morgan
                    Becky Morgan

Comment

Working...
                    X