The Good Old Days!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Good Old Days!

Ahhh, the good ole' days where you could charge across the battlefield in your white or gray t-shirt and feel every bit authentic doing it! There are at least two guys wearing white t-shirts and one guy wearing a gray one. One guy appears to even be wearing shorts but they are pants that have been pushed up to the knees. Man, we've come along way, haven't we? Courtesy of our boys of 1968/69.
    Attached Files
    Charles Thomas

Re: The Good Old Days!

Personally I find the little vignette in the lower left rather charming.

Does anyone have photos (this is the Sinks on AC, let's do a little research) of the late 70's, late 80's, late 90's? Preferrably massed troops with detail, so we can get an idea of evolving authenticity. Nice photo essay project. Even better if we can cover the various Infantry, Artillery and Cavalry, both Federal and Confederate.

Or if the Mods prefer, we could take this over to Szabos....
    John Taylor

Comment

What I am looking at is the apparent ages of some of these people. They all look like a bunch of teenagers as compared to today. Or are my eyes that bad :) . Some of the uniforms are quite interesting.
      Jim "Doc" Bruce
      Jim "Doc" Bruce
      War means fightn and fightn means killn.
      L 'audace, l 'audace, Toujours l 'audace.
      Every man must know his limitations.

Comment

What a great picture! What is the artillery doing charging across the field with a musket?

Comment

Here are two. One from the 130 Gettysburg and the other from 125 Surrender at Appomattox. Not as early as the thread starter. Lots of butternut in the 125th one.
          Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-30-2008, 08:27 AM.
          Jim Mayo
          Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
          http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

John,

This is one Mod that feels this discussion is appropriate on the AC. Hopefully many of the photos submitted will show folks who would have been considered authentics at the time the photos were taken. I know I have some photos from the late 70's and early 80's that show guys who for the time were very authentic but may not cut the grade now. Authenticity has evolved over time and it is a topic worth looking at.

And, yes, before any one asks, we had farbs in the 80's too. :wink_smil

Originally posted by JohnTaylorCW
            Personally I find the little vignette in the lower left rather charming.

Does anyone have photos (this is the Sinks on AC, let's do a little research) of the late 70's, late 80's, late 90's? Preferrably massed troops with detail, so we can get an idea of evolving authenticity. Nice photo essay project. Even better if we can cover the various Infantry, Artillery and Cavalry, both Federal and Confederate.

Or if the Mods prefer, we could take this over to Szabos....
            Jim Kindred

Comment

Actually, this mod agrees also.

It is history, after all, and we all like history. Maybe once the system is stablized, we can have a sub forum set up with the title "History of Reenacting", or something like that, where "old timers" could share pictures and stories of the "old days".

Not a place to pick things apart, but one where "veterans" can share pictures and experiences. We've heard about them, let's see and hear some of them.

I encourage others to share here.
              Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

It would appear that some of them are carrying M1 Garand rifles as well...

Originally posted by Mr. Vittles
                Ahhh, the good ole' days where you could charge across the battlefield in your white or gray t-shirt and feel every bit authentic doing it! There are at least two guys wearing white t-shirts and one guy wearing a gray one. One guy appears to even be wearing shorts but they are pants that have been pushed up to the knees. Man, we've come along way, haven't we? Courtesy of our boys of 1968/69.
                Matt Adair

Comment

I think I recall seeing the first image in the thread published in a 1970's single-volume pictorial history of the Civil War published by National Geographic.
                  Greg Forquer
                  1st (Statehouse) Ohio Light Artillery, Btty A
                  30th OVI, Co. B

Comment

Hallo!

THESE are the Good Old Daze... :)

Curt
                    I though we had burned all of those prints and negatives that show we were not born or hatched H/A-ers? :wink_smil
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

If I managed to attach this file properly, enclosed is a tintype of my former group in 1996. At the time, the group was what I'd call today "heavy dog-tent campers" that bought the vast majority of its kit from either Jarnagin or Old Sutler John. The group didn't have much discussion about things like the appropriateness of hat brass or tailoring one's portrayal to fit the scenario.

Kind of neat to look through the hard drive and see some old "snapshots in time" like the enclosed.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Found this on a shelf in the office. The back of the image reads 53 PA/2nd Corps staff '79-'80. The father of two of our AC members is the Sgt sitting front left. Not bad for then.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by John-Owen Kline; 10-22-2006, 09:22 PM. Reason: added ''AC''
                        John-Owen Kline

Comment

Every living historian needs a bright yellow kepi :tounge_sm

Comment

A friend of mine took part in many of the 125th events. Talking to him has made me wish that some things could be the same as it was then. The main thing I'm talking about is the old timers' lack of EGO!
                            John Spain
                            4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
                            "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Comment

Garands! Wow! I didn't know the South was so advanced in weaponry. Too bad they didn't have a couple of thousand of them along with the tactics and training to go with them.

Then again, you might have a lot of soldiers visiting the surgeon for Garand-thumb. :o
                              GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
                              High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Comment

Working...
                              X