The Good Old Days!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Good Old Days!

The photo is from the 100th anniversary reenactment of Manassas back in 1961. I had the same pic in an old newspaper scrapbook I collected of the event when I was 14 years old. Note the use of dummies for casualties. They may not have the most authentic uniforms, but they sure are younger and thinner than their counterparts today. So much for McDonalds and Coca Cola.
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Someone above mentioned the Natl Geographics single volume book on the war, that book has a photo of a federal wearing a frock coat, forage cap, hardpack cooling his feet in a stream and that image helped push me to want to re-enact back in 1977. That image was from 1962-63 I think and that guy had the sand. If you ever get a chance to see that book page through it and see what a world apart from the Sears work clothes/Garand crowd this guy was. I have talked to guys years ago who were at the 100th anniversary battles and seen their photos and they had "hardcores" back then! If I can find any old phtos I'll try to post them here. And I can attest that there was a HELLUVA lot less ego back in the late 70's early 80's and more of a "WOW new reasearch" lets all share attitude. Hmmm I remember when you counted stiches for fun and education.....

Ted Parrott
      who's first uniform was an original 1880's 5 button blouse, marine corp dress trousers and a borrowed Zouave rifle......
      Edward Anthony Parrott
      "Humbug"

Comment

that book has a photo of a federal wearing a frock coat, forage cap, hardpack cooling his feet in a stream and that image helped push me to want to re-enact back in 1977. That image was from 1962-63 I think and that guy had the sand.
        I remember that photo! Saw it back when as a kid and thought he was really, really cool looking.

When I started the hobby in the late 70's I had to borrow a bunch of stuff because I was just a poor student. But, I remember my shell jacket I wore all the time was made from a West Point great coat. It looked pretty good.
        Michael Comer
        one of the moderator guys

Comment

This may sound wierd (considering I'm 20), but I was feeling old because a pard was playing some music going to an event that I hadn't heard since the 8th grade. This thread made me feel like I was still in the 8th grade. Thanks guys ;).

I can see a lot of the things in the pics still a major problem in reenacting today (low hanging equipment).

Hearing the veteran living historians talk about the early days, I really wish I had been there. It sounds more like it involved a lot less politics.
          - Pvt. S. Martin Aksentowitz
          1st California Co. F
          Carleton's Cannibals

[CENTER][COLOR="Red"]Angst kommt; da werden sie Heil suchen, aber es wird nicht zu finden sein.- HESEKIEL 7.25[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"To day we. . . stopped a few minutes to examine the crumbling ruins the walls were defaced with Texians traitors names and Texican Braggodocia but nary a Texican thare to answer to his name or make good his writing on the wall."
          -Eli W. Hazen, 1st California Vol. Inf.[/CENTER]

[RIGHT][COLOR="Silver"]"Credo Quio Absurdum" - ECV[/COLOR][/RIGHT]

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Guard
            It sounds more like it involved a lot less politics.
            It did but the internet ruined it all.
            Jim Kindred

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Peck
              Someone above mentioned the Natl Geographics single volume book on the war, that book has a photo of a federal wearing a frock coat, forage cap, hardpack cooling his feet in a stream and that image helped push me to want to re-enact back in 1977. That image was from 1962-63 I think and that guy had the sand. If you ever get a chance to see that book page through it and see what a world apart from the Sears work clothes/Garand crowd this guy was. I have talked to guys years ago who were at the 100th anniversary battles and seen their photos and they had "hardcores" back then! If I can find any old phtos I'll try to post them here. And I can attest that there was a HELLUVA lot less ego back in the late 70's early 80's and more of a "WOW new reasearch" lets all share attitude. Hmmm I remember when you counted stiches for fun and education.....

Ted Parrott
              who's first uniform was an original 1880's 5 button blouse, marine corp dress trousers and a borrowed Zouave rifle......

there is a good chance that this guy was wearing all original equipment.

thanks,
              Jurgitem Valetem
              Thanks,
              Patrick Skeese
              "[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="6"]Jurgitem Valetem[/SIZE][/FONT]"

Western Federal Blues

[url]www.westernfederalblues.org[/url]

[url]www.30thovi.com[/url]

[I]"Of all the words both tongue and pen, the saddest of all are what might have been.---[/I]

Comment

Jurgitem:
                Actually his traps may have been original but his frock, trousers and cap were not. I wish I had copies of the photos a guy showed me of his Federal company from about 61-62, they had researched their uniforms by looking at originals and had made all their stuff. They looked GOOD, and were wearing their stuff well, I mean these guys looked really, really good.

There have been HUGE strides made, particularly in Confederate uniforms and more importantly in the textiles used to produce those uniforms but at times I think the "hobby" has lost something of the "fun factor" or enjoyment factor it once had. I remember talking to Nick ************ years ago on the phone, he was really nice and shared a lot of knowledge and info with me, as did Lynn Bull, Joe Covias, Charley Childs etc.. etc.. My memory may be skewed but there was a real sense of sharing new info and not of one upmanship as I perceive now. Oh and again thanks to the old Mudsills & Shermans Bummers for sharing & showing me the benefits of being a bad soldier! FUN!

Being on the west coast we used to go back east and you would see another guy wearing good kit and beeline for him, and they would do the same to you and next thing you know you have new pards. But you tended to be "unit" oriented, rather than bands of indivduals who would sometimes come together at events. You saw units change & improve & better their impressions from within rather than the big rift that seems to have developed over the years between mainstream units and "messes" and other "authentic" oriented organizations. There seems to be a lot less of a "lead by example & catch em' with honey" & a more "us & them & never the two shall mix" outlook now. Now that baseline mainstream uniforms have come leaps and bounds from what they were it seems the bar has been raised (not a bad thing in itself) but with it has come an elitism that far surpasses anything that I used to see in the hobby, and I could be a "hardcore" little p*&%ck in my day.

I guess I like to look back on the "good old days" and there was a lot different back then, some things much better than today but there was a lot of screwy stuff too. I will admit I'd still rather see a true unit of pards dressed in Jarnagin stuff, wearing their gear well, like it is second nature to them, who act as a unit (ie: that has jelled together) than a bunch of guys in the BEST kit out there who still are just a bunch of small groups come together for one event who are eyeballing each other to see who has the best stuff rather than just really being in the moment. If you focus to much on the minutiae, you miss the big picture which is if you want the "Civil War" experiance I think the thing the veterans remembered best was the "comradeship", not the fine deatils of what they wore....

The best thing from the "good old days" is that I still pard with guys who knew me when I was 14 & I'm 43 now! I've made lifelong friends who, even if out of the hobby now, still mean the world to me. I've got more than friends, I've got comrades. Remember next time you go to an event that you are living your future "good old days" and make the most of em'

Ted Parrott
                Edward Anthony Parrott
                "Humbug"

Comment

Guys,

Let us stick to comparing equipment and uniform improvements. That is the reason the topic was allowed to stay up. How authentics and mainstreamers conduct their business is not part of the discussion.
                  Jim Kindred

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Vittles
                    Ahhh, the good ole' days where you could charge across the battlefield in your white or gray t-shirt and feel every bit authentic doing it! There are at least two guys wearing white t-shirts and one guy wearing a gray one. One guy appears to even be wearing shorts but they are pants that have been pushed up to the knees. Man, we've come along way, haven't we? Courtesy of our boys of 1968/69.
                    Charles,
                    Interesting Picture. While reproduction gear may have improved a great deal, it seems to illustrate the great decline in body shape (weight) and age represented on most of todays reenacting battlefields.
                    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Originally posted by JimKindred
                      Guys,

Let us stick to comparing equipment and uniform improvements. That is the reason the topic was allowed to stay up. How authentics and mainstreamers conduct their business is not part of the discussion.

Jim:

Point taken, I apologize if I seemed to be passing judgement on how folks participate in the hobby. It was just my take on things.

The ease of access to good research and the number of vendors making good stuff has greatly improved since the old days. Man I remember when you were an authentic in California if you had a 3 band musket and in the case of the Federals a 4 button blouse. I still remember my excitment when I got my big box from Jarnagin with all my kit in it. Oh yeah anyone else remember Ordanance Park? I got my first cartridge box from them, it was not some folded up piece of crap that looked like an ugly purse which is what a lot of guys had. Oh lord some of the stuff that people wore was just horrible.....

Kids today can't imagine how good they have it!

Ted Parrott
                      Edward Anthony Parrott
                      "Humbug"

Comment

Originally posted by AZReenactor
                        Charles,
                        Interesting Picture. While reproduction gear may have improved a great deal, it seems to illustrate the great decline in body shape (weight) and age represented on most of todays reenacting battlefields.
                        Regardless of their attire, and oddball weaponry, the participants in this event on average are at least close to the right age and build to portray a soldier. Several members have posted comments noting the apparent younger age and improved physiques relative to todays reenactment community. I think most of the men in the picture could easily fit into period-size uniforms. Maybe that's an area where some of us could dramatically improve our impression, without spending any money on more authentic gear, a targeted program to acquire a 'period' physique.

Now, if I would just follow my own advice....
                        Lawrence E. Kingsley
                        BTTY F, 1st PA LT ATTY

Comment

I've never seen so many skinny American men in one place in my life. How we have changed. (I write this as a crack open a big mac and supersized fries. I do have a diet coke!) :D
                          Frank Perkin

Comment

Working...
                          X