Hey Buddy Got a Match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Buddy Got a Match?

These came from a collection which originated in the Bannerman's era. These are the only matches I have seen which are positively Identified to the CW era. Looks similar to some sold on sutler row or on e-bay (can't remember where I have seen them) but I have always had my doubts. From the qualitity of other items in the collection I am confident they are right. The stamp is "US" but almost appears to be "CS"
    Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-30-2008, 08:27 AM.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Re: Hey Buddy Got a Match?

I have yet to see anything like that on sutler's row.
    Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

I agree with Phil. Wouldn't small-headed strike-anywhere sheets of matches like that pretty much be the holy grail of match reproductions? People make non-functioning ones for show, but I'd sure like to know what sutlers are selling functioning repros like that. Or are you talking about the originals that sometimes come up for sale?

Hank Trent
      hanktrent@voyager.net
      Hank Trent

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Trent
        I agree with Phil. Wouldn't small-headed strike-anywhere sheets of matches like that pretty much be the holy grail of match reproductions? People make non-functioning ones for show, but I'd sure like to know what sutlers are selling functioning repros like that. Or are you talking about the originals that sometimes come up for sale?

Hank Trent
        hanktrent@voyager.net

I think I saw them on e-bay not at sutlers.
        Jim Mayo
        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

I picked up mine at a Richmond Civil War Show many years ago.

matches
          Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
          Elverson, PA

Comment

I began a thread about reproducing match cards a couple of years ago. This is my winter project. I'm actually in the process of putting together a die that will cut out the cards as shown above. I already have the red phosphorous, sulphur, gypsum and binder. Once I have the die perfected, I will begin reproducing match cards. So far, the ones I've made seem to separate too easily at the base. I think pine was the wood of choice, but I'm experimenting with different species to determine which (ie red pine, white pine, jack pine, etc) will give the best results. I have found no reference as to which species of pine was used.
            Karl H. Pasch

Ol' Sipley Mess
            Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by edgeinwi
              So far, the ones I've made seem to separate too easily at the base. I think pine was the wood of choice, but I'm experimenting with different species to determine which (ie red pine, white pine, jack pine, etc) will give the best results. I have found no reference as to which species of pine was used.
              Ironically, I've been able to get the wood, but not the chemical part of it. What I started with was the thin end of some sawn wood shingles we had lying around. It's just the right thickness, and the taper isn't noticeable over the short length of the matches. They happened to be white cedar shingles, and I cut them with a fine-bladed saw across the grain, and an exacto knife with the grain. I scored between the matches almost all the way through in depth, though of course some split through as I was doing it, leaving the normal amount of base uncut.

They function great with tips dipped in red paint, except for that little detail of lighting. :) They hold together under normal conditions, and break off one by one when you want, and look like vintage ones I bought on eBay a while ago. The cutting method I used would be too cumbersome for commercial production, and using only the bottom quarter of shingles would be too wasteful unless you could get scraps, but maybe there's something useful there that you could adapt to production.

Hank Trent
              hanktrent@voyager.net
              Hank Trent

Comment

Surprisingly, I had a similar set a few years ago (no more than 2-3) from a high end Toronto restaurant (novelty sovenier.) If you took off the paper cover, they would be identical, (wood, narrow heads, joined at the base) except for the US mark. So somewhere they are still being made. Unfortunately, the remaining matches are in Toronto, and I'm in Japan for several months, so I can't track down who made them at this time....
                John Taylor

Comment

Looks like a definite C.S. rather than U.S. to me.

But then, I was wrong once before... :)
                  Bernard Biederman
                  30th OVI
                  Co. B
                  Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
                  Outpost III

Comment

Originally posted by JohnTaylorCW
                    Surprisingly, I had a similar set a few years ago (no more than 2-3) from a high end Toronto restaurant (novelty sovenier.) If you took off the paper cover, they would be identical, (wood, narrow heads, joined at the base) except for the US mark. So somewhere they are still being made. Unfortunately, the remaining matches are in Toronto, and I'm in Japan for several months, so I can't track down who made them at this time....

Yes, someone out there IS making these. I saw some that were given out as "perks" by a tobacco company while I was living in Wales. As John said, they were EXACTLY like the originals pictured above (minus the US stamp). My one flat mate that smoked had them and when questioned couldn't remember where he got them other than "some bloke with the tobacconist gave them to me as a promo."

Anyway, that was 12 years ago. However, there HAS GOT to be someone out there making these.
                    PATRICK CRADDOCK
                    Prometheus No. 851
                    Franklin, Tennessee
                    Widows' Sons Mess
                    www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

Originally posted by edgeinwi
                      I began a thread about reproducing match cards a couple of years ago. This is my winter project. I'm actually in the process of putting together a die that will cut out the cards as shown above. I already have the red phosphorous, sulphur, gypsum and binder. Once I have the die perfected, I will begin reproducing match cards. So far, the ones I've made seem to separate too easily at the base...
                      Well, I for one would be interested in buying some from you -- should you ever succeed in this "project" and be interested in selling the product. Using individually boxed wooden matches is one of the non-realistic parts of my impression I've been wanting to better.

So, at the very least, you have at least one buyer waiting impatiently in the wings!
                      Charles Kibler
                      Co. A, Chesapeake Volunteer Guard
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      [I]"I have been up to see the Congress and they do not seem to be able to do anything except to eat peanuts and chew tobacco, while my army is starving."[/I]
                      Robert E. Lee

Comment

Charles,

Have you tracked down any of that twist? I am out now and no longer in the same location where I found it the last time. I might be going there to visit sometime but was wondering if you had found any stores that carry it.

Brandon Sollars
                        Brandon Sollars

Comment

The Yankee Cartridge Company used to make matches very similar to these, though the match head was larger. Chris Sedlac was the maker, but since his deployment to Iraq and subsequent return, his small works has been set aside....for a 12 pound Napoleon. I will look for my set to post an image.
                          Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
                          Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
                          Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

I have a handful of functioning matches that are VERY close to these originals. Only thing different is that they are the proportions of a standard book of matches and a hair wider per match. I got them (of all places) in Rome, Italy at a hotel. Of course, I snatched up as many books as I could find.

I am in Chicago right now, but when I get home I will scan them.
                            Paul Boccadoro
                            Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck A Luck View Post
                              Well, I for one would be interested in buying some from you -- should you ever succeed in this "project" and be interested in selling the product. Using individually boxed wooden matches is one of the non-realistic parts of my impression I've been wanting to better.

So, at the very least, you have at least one buyer waiting impatiently in the
                              wings!
                              I too would be interested in buying some.

Comment

Working...
                              X