Hey Buddy Got a Match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hey Buddy Got a Match?

I obtained some similar matches in France when I visited several years back. Perhaps there is still some significant production of this sort of matches in Europe?

Sean Foster
    [SIZE="2"][I][FONT="Garamond"]Sean Foster[/FONT][/I]
    Company D, 1st Minnesota
    Starr's Battery, NC Artillery[/SIZE]

Comment

If the mystery European matches folks are mentioning are the common Swan Vestas, they can be found in most tobacco shops or ordered online. Some have a waxed head, which can be an advantage in damp climates. These aren't quite right either, but they do lack the white spot on the tip, such as found on Diamond strike anywhere kitchen matches.

Anyone who wanted their fill of strip matches had their chance at the Antietam 2003 NPS LH. Chris really worked overtime to provide enough for a battalion. Yes, you read that correctly.
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

The Yankee Cartridge Company used to make matches very similar to these, though the match head was larger. Chris Sedlac was the maker, but since his deployment to Iraq and subsequent return, his small works has been set aside....for a 12 pound Napoleon. I will look for my set to post an image.

Is Chris still a user of this forum and what is his user name. I would like to get a hold of him to find out how he produced the match cards. Thanks!!
        Karl H. Pasch

Ol' Sipley Mess
        Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by edgeinwi View Post
          The Yankee Cartridge Company used to make matches very similar to these, though the match head was larger. Chris Sedlac was the maker, but since his deployment to Iraq and subsequent return, his small works has been set aside....for a 12 pound Napoleon. I will look for my set to post an image.

Is Chris still a user of this forum and what is his user name? I would like to get in touch with him and find out how he made the match cards. Thanks!!
          Karl H. Pasch

Ol' Sipley Mess
          Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Karl,

Check your PMs.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Hi all;

Update:

I need a source or ideas for obtaining 1/8" pine veneer. I have tried the mixture as specified in a article I have (Alonzo Phillips patent) on 1/8" redwood veneer that I found in a craft shop........success!!!!!! The match card has the look and feel as pine, but its not. I need to make my cards from the real thing. Anyone that has a modern surfacer plane want to make maybe 100 sheets for me? Let me know. Free match cards to who ever helps me!!!!!!!!!!!

Subnote.....If you are as sick as I am of not having proper fire lighting utensils (other than filnt and stone), please get involved.
              Karl H. Pasch

Ol' Sipley Mess
              Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Karl,
                Hey there, your old match buddy Chris here!

A) did you receive those alternate chemical receipes I sent you?

B) what dimensions other than 1/8" for the veneer?
                I'll be on the lookout. You want 3 or 4" wide or does it matter...

Chris Sedlak
                [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][/FONT]
                Christopher Sedlak
                Iron City Guards
                (1st PA Light Art'y- Bt'y G / 9th PA Res. - Co. C)
                [B][FONT="Arial"][I]"Sole purveyor of the finest corn silk moustaches as seen in the image above, adhesive not included"[/I][/FONT][/B]

Comment

Karl,

Was just looking online and thought these matches might be worth looking at. Not exact... but we may be on the right road....

Look under resale matches and advertising booklets.
                  Tell me those aren't wooden card sheet matches....

Chris Sedlak
                  [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][/FONT]
                  Christopher Sedlak
                  Iron City Guards
                  (1st PA Light Art'y- Bt'y G / 9th PA Res. - Co. C)
                  [B][FONT="Arial"][I]"Sole purveyor of the finest corn silk moustaches as seen in the image above, adhesive not included"[/I][/FONT][/B]

Comment

Hey Chris;

Yes. I did receive the recipe from you. It will come in handy if my source of red phosphorous dries up. I'm looking for sheet a minimum of 1 7/8" in width. Any help would be wonderful.
                    Last edited by edgeinwi; 02-25-2007, 03:02 PM. Reason: spelling
                    Karl H. Pasch

Ol' Sipley Mess
                    Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

About the original matches they are really nice.

Matt
                      Matthew Thompson

Comment

Charles,
                        Thanks for bring that up, At Antietam 2003 I grabed a few of them, and still have them! Everyone that see's them asks where i got them from. Chris did a great job making them. I carry them everywere I go on the field.
                        Thank for the name,
                        Art
                        Art Stone
                        13th N.J.V.
                        Co."K"
                        " Rally, Boys Rally"
                        Last order from Cpt. H.C. Irish at Antietam

Comment

Karl,
                          as for the 1/8 pine veneer, if you have a cabinet shop nearby, go by and ask if they have any pine scraps you can dig through. If not, find somebody that does woodworking and ask if they would be willing to cut or resaw some pine down for you. Eastern white or Southern yellow should do. It isn't hard and it's ALOT cheaper than spending hard earned money at the craft store. If you can't find anybody, pm me and I'll see what I can push through my saw for you.
                          Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                          WIG/GVB
                          In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Guys,

There's a large woodworking facility in the building I am considering moving my business into. They build just about everything you can think of and have no shortage of unused scraps laying around in heaps. I can run down there this Friday during the monthly Art Hop open-house and see what I can find.

Brian White
                            Wambaugh, White, & Co.
                            http://www.wwandcompany.com
                            Brian White
                            [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                            [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                            [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

There's something else you all should know. These sheets were not the only kind of matches. A more common (and way much more rarer to find originals of) was a BLOCK of matches rather than the sheet...in otherwords think three dimentional. These were the much more popular ones before the war and first patented in 1834 by A.D. Phillips but were used right on into the 3rd quarter of the 19th century.
                              I think the most lilkely reason that extant examples are so rare is that it was easy to strike them while still on the block (or remains of one) and set the whole thing ablaze to really be sure to start a fire. I would imagine that is how virtually all of these ended up.
                              If I had a way to do photos I would show you samples of blocks of matches.
                              Spence Waldron~
                              Coffee cooler

"Straggled out and did not catch up."

Comment

Guys;

Here is a photo of one type that I want to reproduce. I think this is the variety that Mr. Sedlak reproduced.

I also want to make this type.
                                Which were issued in packs of three or four.

And here is the third type (block type). (sorry for the numerous other pictures.
                                Karl H. Pasch

Ol' Sipley Mess
                                Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Working...
                                X