Hey Buddy Got a Match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hey Buddy Got a Match?

I hope you can reproduce some of these matches becasue I am interested in purchaseing some.
    -Dan Hart

Comment

About ten years ago I could have purchased a whole bunch of originals for ten dollars a strip in North Carolina if that is any encouragement to you.
      Brandon Sollars

Comment

Karl,

A) The first photo is the ones I reproduced, with the 1/16ish" cut between each match. As we talked before, I had a jig for a table saw with the kerf (blade width) and cut them in blocks of twelve. It was cumbersome and didn't leave very straight or consistent cuts with the wobbling of the jig, even ever so slight.

B) I also have an "original" pack from Shiloh Relics that have a stack of 10 or 12 sheets in a paper wrapper. Can't recall which type they were, the cut or scored type.

C) Can you repost the photo of the BLOCK of matches, it's not showing up.

D) Did you check out the german match manufacturer, what do you think of the longer sheet of about 16 matches... very close... worth trying to import some?

Happy matching...
        Your obedient servant.

Chris Sedlak
        [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][/FONT]
        Christopher Sedlak
        Iron City Guards
        (1st PA Light Art'y- Bt'y G / 9th PA Res. - Co. C)
        [B][FONT="Arial"][I]"Sole purveyor of the finest corn silk moustaches as seen in the image above, adhesive not included"[/I][/FONT][/B]

Comment

Chris;

I can't seen to get the block picture to show up. There is an example of a partial block on Jim Mayo's civil war show and tell web page (look at the bottom of the first post of this thread to find the link).
          Karl H. Pasch

Ol' Sipley Mess
          Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Here's something from Harper's, June 1850, well worth reading. It describes match production in detail, including chemistry of the match, forming the wood, and filling the boxes with about a hundred each.

"Illustrations of Cheapness, The Lucifer Match":

Some further information on match boxes, including a link to the British Matchbox Label and Booklet Society, can be found using the search function.
            Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

A bit more illumination on the subject.

UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.
              ALONZO D. PHILLIPS, OF SPRINGFIELD, MASSACHUSETTS.

MANUFACTURE OF FRICTION-MATCHES.

Specification of Letters Patent No. 68, dated October 24, 1836

To all whom it may concern:

Be it known that I, ALONZO D. PHILLIPS, of Springfield, in the county of Hampden and State of Massachusetts, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Modes of Manufacturing Friction-Matches for the Instantaneous Production of Light, which improvements consist in a new composition of matter for producing ignition and in a new mode of putting up the matches for use by which the danger of ignition from accidental friction or from other causes is obviated and I do hereby declare that the following is a full and exact description thereof.

The composition used in preparing the matches usually called loco foco and which light by slight friction, is a compound of phosphorus, chlorate of potash, sulfuret of antimony, and gum arabic or glue. That which I use consists simply of phosphorus, chalk, and glue and in preparing it I use the ingredients in the following, manner and proportions: I take one ounce of glue and dissolve it by the aid of water and heat in the usual manner; to this glue I add four ounces of finely-pulverized chalk or Spanish white, stirring it in so as to form a thick paste. I then put in one ounce of phosphorus, keeping the materials at such degree of heat as will suffice to melt the phosphorus and incorporate the whole together. Into this composition the matches are dipped after being previously dipped in sulfur in the usual manner.

The composition may be varied in its proportions, but those I have given I consider the best. The ingredients also may be varied, as gum arabic or other gum may be substituted for glue and other absorbent earths or materials may be used instead of the carbonate of lime.

In order to prevent the danger from accidental ignition I prepare the pine wood for my matches in the following manner: I cut my pine into thin slabs about the usual thickness of veneers. These I cross cut into lengths for matches, and by means of gangs of circular saws cut these comb fashion and lengthwise of the grain of the wood, leaving a portion at one end uncut holding the strips together like the back of a comb. The number of matches on each slab may be about a dozen. These are then dipped in the sulfur and afterward in the above named composition and put up for sale by laying the slabs upon long slips of paper, cut wide enough to lap over the ends of the matches. The slabs are then doubled up in the paper, in such in the manner of papering pins. A slab when wanted may be taken out without disturbing the remainder and the paper effectually removes all danger from friction.

What I claim as my invention is —

The use of a paste, or composition to ignite by friction, consisting of phosphorus and earthy material and a glutinous substance only without the addition of chlorate of potash or of any highly combustible material such as sulfuret of antimony in addition to the phosphorus. I also claim the mode herein described of putting up the matches in paper so as to secure them from accidental friction.

ALONZO D. PHILLIPS.

Witnesses:
              THOS. P. JONES,
              HENRY WILSON.
              [FONT=Century Gothic]Alan Poor/Independent[/FONT]

Comment

Try this experiment but be so very careful!
                Every sentence seems to be wrought with danger.

But to be able to create functioning period lucifers would be wicked good!
                Pvt. S.D. Henry
                Co. A 3rd Maine Volunteer Infantry
                "Bath City Greys"

Comment

I was recently asked again for that non-phosphorus recipe.
                  Here it is for anyone else who wants to try their hand at sheet match-making.

Best of luck. If anyone gets really good looking results, please contact me, I'd love to purchase some.

heres the non-phosphorus recipe. wish i could tell you the chemical co. i got them from... just google for chemicals...

50% Potassium Chlorate
                  15 Calcium Carbonate
                  15 Antimony (tri)sulfide
                  7 Silica (fine sand)
                  7 Zinc Oxide
                  6 Dextrin(e) sp?

I found just one more or so part of silica and anitmony trisulfide and just a part or less of Chlorate works a little better....

Also, it appears the originals had their tips dipped in wax so that it soaked in, not like a big drop of wax on the bottom.
                  The modern TV show "how it's made" recently showed wooden match making and they did dip their tips in parafin....

good luck,
                  Chris Sedlak
                  [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][/FONT]
                  Christopher Sedlak
                  Iron City Guards
                  (1st PA Light Art'y- Bt'y G / 9th PA Res. - Co. C)
                  [B][FONT="Arial"][I]"Sole purveyor of the finest corn silk moustaches as seen in the image above, adhesive not included"[/I][/FONT][/B]

Comment

Hey guys;

First attempt and very crude. I need to work on technique more than anything. Thanks to Cody Farrell in Texas for match cards!!!!
                    By the way, how do you put a picture in here? I do not want to be called an idiot though, since I can teach all you puter geeks how to use a slide rule.
                    Karl H. Pasch

Ol' Sipley Mess
                    Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Chris;

I have a question about the non-phosphorus based recipe. What did you use as a solvent to mix everything into a paste? I assume that you stayed away from water as a solvent. Did you use an anhydrous alcohol? An aliphilic? Petroleum naphtha perhaps? It's interesting that none of the patents make any mention of solvent (which I feel is just as important as the other chemicals used).
                      Also, is there a certain addition order that you followed, or just proceed down the list?

Thanks for the help pard!!!!!!!!
                      Karl H. Pasch

Ol' Sipley Mess
                      Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Working...
                      X