CW note pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CW note pad

This is something you don't see very often. It is a CW era weekly note pad. It's made of ivory with a silver shield on the cover with initials. Inside are 7 ivory pages labled for the days of the week. Wednesday is missing on this one. Pencil notes on the ivory pages can be wiped off when no longer needed.
    Also, the owner said the pencil has a 1861 patent date. It was too hard to get out of the display case to verify or get a picture of the pencil. I thought this was a neat little item.
    Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-30-2008, 08:27 AM.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Re: CW note pad

Jim,

That's pretty darn neat. Modern vegetable ivory is often sold in milled sheets, but they may not be quite large enough. Still, it looks like a reasonable item to reproduce -- as long as the modern legalities concerning ivory are observed.
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Neat item. Thanks for posting Jim.
      William L. Shifflett
      Valley Light Horse and Lord of Louisa

"We are still expecting the enemy. Why dont he come?" -JEB Stuart

In Memory of 3 Sox, 4th Va Cavalry horse, my mount, my friend. Killed in action January 9th, 2005.

Comment

Townsend's has been reproducing a similiar item for years for pre-CW use, and they noted in their catalog that they were made from "old ivory" - harvested before a certain cut-off year when it became illegal. Lord's Encyclopedia has one or more notebooks like you have pictured and I've always been on the lookout for one in my travels but have yet to see it up close. Thanks for posting that one.
        Ross L. Lamoreaux
        rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

http://jas-townsend.com/product_info...roducts_id=762

"No batteries needed." Indeed.
          [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
          [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
          [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
          [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Comrades,

These can actually be found (originals) on a faorly regular basis on ebay. Not just CW Militaria listings, but alo in writing instruments, etc. Qite a lot of neat things for our period in the pens, writing, and stationary sections as well.

Respects,
            Tim Kindred
            Medical Mess
            Solar Star Lodge #14
            Bath, Maine

Comment

Working...
            X