A testimonial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A testimonial

There has been much discussion concerning the "infiltration." We need to remember we were "newbies" and "farbs" at one point.

I was a newbie 15 years ago. I took a tent, cooler, cot, and so forth. As time passed, I read more diaries and did more research. I realized I was doing the public, myself but most importantly the people of the era a great wrong. If I wanted the right to be called a Civil War reenactor I should reenact Civil War history and do as they did. So after 3 years of being a farb, I changed.

Some folks ask, "why go to all of the time, trouble, and money to be authentic? My polyester/cotton blend looks good." The men and women of 1860 to 1865 deserve no less than accurate portrayls. It was their lives and it is our history, our American history.

So, to "newbies", if you have questions, first look to the people who lived during the war. Learn their stories, read their dairies, look at their clothes, read their periodicals. There are many,many great modern books available on every subject. Yes, it takes time, effort, and money but you will have the satisfaction of gaining knowlegde through your own efforts.

Carrie Craddock
    Carrie Craddock

Re: A testimonial

Amen. :wink_smil
    Guy W. Gane III
    Casting Director/Owner
    Old Timey Casting, LLC.

Member of:
    49th NYVI Co. B
    The Filthy Mess

Historian since 1982 - Reenactor since birth - Proud Member of the 'A.C.' since September 2004.sigpic

Comment

Very well said, Carrie!! :D
      Elizabeth Landrum
      IR Team Mom

Comment

As I said in a phone call with the author of this thread, I couldn't agree more with her. The problem with the AC or the authentic community for that matter in my opinion has never been the free giving of research but rather the want for that research. How many times has someone asked the question about such in such an item based on just a vendors name. For example the Columbus Depot Jacket. The informed question would be "Why is vendor x's Columbus Depot a good choice and does it compare to the original (if it was even copied from one)". Ask questions about an item, learn about it and make an educated and well researched choice based on your findings.

Another problem I've had with the movement as of late is the constant big headed attitude that I thought ended when I at least stepped away from the mainstream. If I had a dollar for everytime I saw someone that has been around for 2 years act like they never asked a basic question, heck I could by myself and some buddies new complete federal uniforms (to be used at the Vicksburg LH in June- Website coming soon, please watch for details!), so it absolutely amazes me to watch fresh fish get slapped around by a guy who not that long ago was in the same place.

By no means am I a Scott Cross when it comes to research, but I've done my fair amount. A lot of that I owe to the husband of Mrs. Craddock and his way of not spoon feeding information, but giving a list of books or at least pointing me in the right direction for the question in which I ask. Thats the point of my ramble I guess, don't come out of the woodwork wanting to know who makes the best X, ask why its good or how it compares to the originals, or better yet, read through the vast numbers of journals and see if the item was used by the people you wish to portray, or if it's just another kewl thing to have around the campfire.
        Patrick Landrum
        Independent Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by coastaltrash
          By no means am I a Scott Cross when it comes to research, but I've done my fair amount.
          Sir,

I knew Scott Cross and you are no Scott Cross!

Just kidding Pat, thanks for the compliment! You brought out some very good points in your post. One thing the Authentic Movement has always needed and still needs is mentors. Paul McKee challenged me as a reenactor when I was 15 years old. He continued to challenge me when we met up again in 1982. He didn't spoon-feed me answers, but he showed me what was right by examining original artifacts, made me ask more questions, and encouraged me to do my own research. I owe a lot to Paul.

Back in the 80s and 90s, the only way to become a member of the Mudsills was to be sponsored by a current member in good standing. This placed the responsibility squarely on the sponsor's shoulders. We also had an Authenticity Committee that established uniform and equipment guidlines (based on research, and believe me you'd better back it up) and then enforced those guidelines. For the most part it worked, but it gave us a reputation for being elitist snobs and stitch counters.
          Scott Cross
          "Old and in the Way"

Comment

"For the most part it worked, but it gave us a reputation for being elitist snobs and stitch counters."

Scott, you act like something is wrong with that?? LOL. I know when I was first getting involved in the authentic side of the hobby you all were great examples and provided alot of pointers, but most importantly, encouraged me to read, read, read...which is what I did and still do. Sitting and LISTENING to the old hands taught me alot, and encourage me to learn more. You, Rock, McKee, etc. were great examples of living historians who KNEW history, not just what was "cool" according to so and so who was also "cool." It still amazes me how few living historians, even those who consider themselves "authentic" actually spend time reading and researching journals, periodicals, or studying period images, etc. Many can only quote what someone else told them. Back "in the day", everything wasn't available at your finger tips like it is now, and research was the only way to come by information instead of asking a question on a forum and getting instant results.

Off the soap box....

Chris Utley
            Peddler
            Chris Utley
            South Union Mills
            [url]www.southunionmills.com[/url]
            [url]www.facebook.com/southunionmills[/url]

Comment

Chris,

Let us not forget that "Back "in the day", the OR's did not appear on CD's. You actually had to learn how to use the index then; God forbid, actually use those books. :wink_smil

By the way, for you younger guys, the index was a volume all unto itself. I'm sure Scott remembers those days.
              Jim Kindred

Comment

To all,

Excellent posts and thoughts! I could not agree more.

Best Regards,
                Tom Klas
                Hard Head Mess
                Citizens Guard

Comment

Originally posted by ScottCross

One thing the Authentic Movement has always needed and still needs is mentors.
                  I just want to add my humble comments to this. I agree with this statement and consider myself fortunate to have a mentor in Doug Cooper. We live in the same town, lucky for me (maybe not for him....). I have made the decision to get back into the hobby after taking off several years. Doug has been most supportive and willing to help. For that I am grateful.
                  Thank you
                  Gary A. Keith
                  Last edited by dusty27; 10-27-2006, 06:34 AM.
                  Gary A. Keith
                  In memory of my great great grandfather Stephen A Matthews, Co D 116th NY Infantry
                  Member CWPT

Comment

I first fell in with the Mudsills in the fall of 1977. I became a "member" the next year--there was no organized process, our local unit had been invited to fall in by George Derenberger in 1976. We came as individuals belonging to the same home unit--much the same as the AoP today. I eagerly accepted the "rules of the game" as played by the Mudsills.

The educational focus was first on drill and military bearing and then uniforms and equipment. The mentoring that I received was on a group basis stemming from the desire to collectively portray the members of the Fifth Kentucky Infantry (US) as accurately as possible. The friendships forged in the ranks became basis for ongoing individual and group improvement. I "rose in the ranks" from a private to a company officer and eventually took on leadership roles in the Western Brigade and First Federal Division. Much of this later success I attribute to my Mudsill experience over twenty years.

Unfortunately, the demise of the Mudsills (in the late 1990s) occurred as recruiting efforts (and mentoring) slowed or nearly stopped. There was also an "us versus them" attitude that prevented, or perhaps hindred the majority of Mudsills from attending events where the expertise and skills could be positively demonstrated to the rest of the community. This insular behavior was the death knell for the organization.

Many of us continue the Mudsill traditions with our local groups, the AoP and WIGs and in doing other impressions. I feel strongly that any renewal or massive improvements within our community will only occur when we decide to work together and stop labelling each other (certainly the topic of another day).

I would like to thank Scott and Paul for the comradeship and the information that they shared with me. Part of continuing this traddition is my work with The Watchdog, which continues to be a source of information for impression improvement.

Comment

Well put.
                      Tim Czerow

Comment

Here, here well done,
                        Burt Page
                        Salt River Rifles/75th OVI

Comment

Re: A further vision

I want the long sights of the campaigner/authenticity community to be set on the 150th cycle of events for 2011-2015. It could be the last great hurrah for the 20th Century generation to commemorate the war. I would like to see good, long range plans made now and better events offered to the next generation of reenactors. I would like to see this side of the hobby take the lead for that cycle.

The AC could be the launching platform for the 150th Anniversary and I don't believe we should follow in the wagon ruts of mainstream ideas and the lack of imagination and innovation in reenacting. I would like the AC to regain it's cutting edge and promote accuracy in events and educate ACW reenactors on the proper way to represent those soldiers and civilians.

I want to recapture the same feeling I had when I left Re-Occ at Fort Sumter in 2005, when a visitor came up to me and shook my hand and while grinning from ear to ear said: "You guys looked great!" I looked back on the group that was leaving and I had to agree with him. I was genuinely proud to be an ACW "reenactor." That's the kind of result we ought to strive for.
                          Last edited by SCTiger; 11-21-2006, 05:24 AM. Reason: rewrite
                          Gregory Deese
                          Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
                          "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

It doesnt hurt to ask questions, especially from people that are experienced. We should be greatful that more reenactors are joining the p/c/h end of reenacting, I say we should help them out but also encourage them to read.

Tim, you must sign all posts with your full name - Mike Chapman
                            Last edited by dusty27; 11-21-2006, 09:25 AM. Reason: Signature

Comment

Working...
                            X