Candle holder for bayonet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candle holder for bayonet?

Not sure of this one. It appears to be a period tallow candle.
    Last edited by Jimmayo; 01-20-2008, 03:45 PM.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Re: Candle holder for bayonet?

Jim, it’s a bobeche*, this one being the removable guard for candle lighting that served a couple of purposes. They protected finer furniture and textiles from drip stains. Being detachable they also made the cleaning of sockets and the replacing of candles on cumbersome or overhead lighting easier. These bobeche would fit directly into the sockets and were typically made of the same materials as the holder or light.**

I’ve seen a few with much smaller interior dimensions that act as an adaptor for smaller candles and tapers.

My folks have a large three piece gilded mantle girandole (Bear in the Bee Gum pattern, marked S.& B. Brower : New Orleans , ca 1830) and the center piece has a bobeche in each of the five sockets. The side pieces, which are singles and easier to handle, never had them.

----------------------

*I'm not sure if bobeche is period term but the gadget shows up on lighting in the 18th century.

**Later 19th century versions could be purchased separately and were typically glass or crystal.
    Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 10-26-2006, 10:28 PM. Reason: added the *
    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Thanks Garrison. This is in the same collection that some of the other items I have been posting are in. There is some good stuff and some questionable stuff. Guess this item falls in the latter catagory.
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

But if Jim says its a bayonet candle holder then its a bayonet candle holder...
        B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Working...
        X