Stolen Fire Equipment ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen Fire Equipment ?

Attached is a Library of Congress image from Atlana in late 1864. It is titled "soldiers on boxcars". As I zoomed in on the image, I could see behind the last boxcar, flatcars loaded with two firefighting hand pumps and a hose tender. I thought it was pretty neat, but then thought, is the Atlanta Fire Department being shipped North? As history shows, Sherman didn't have much use for fire equipment during this time period. I have not seen any first hand accounts of the taking of fire equipment or if it was sent North by rail.

It can't really be seen without zooming in on the image, then it is very clear that fire equipment is on the train.
    Last edited by boozie; 02-08-2008, 08:31 PM.
    sigpic
    Grandad Wm. David Lee
    52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
    - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Re: Stolen Fire Equipment ?

Philadelphia-style engine, hose wagon, and a New York (Piano-style) engine. Good find!

While Sherman certainly wasn't Smokey the Bear when it came to fire safety, I have read of local fire apparatus being appropriated for stand-by use, particularly at dockside where munitions, etc. were being loaded/offloaded. Some of the Fire Zouaves were detailed for this purpose with a local fire engine in Virginia. Would be interesting to know if this was the intended purpose of this apparatus, or if the usually ornate hardware and painted condenser boxes of these rigs were prizes.

As a side note, the Columbia, SC Fire Department appealed for help in 1867, to replace the equipment they lost by Sherman's torches. The New York Fire Department raised the money very quickly and procured a hose wagon and personal gear, which was sent on its way south. Unfortunately, the ship carrying the rig sank off Cape Hatteras. More fundraising went on, and yet another wagon was purchased, and arrived intact.

After 9/11, Columbia repaid the favor by raising funds for Brooklyn's Ladder 101, who lost their crew and truck.
    Marc A. Hermann
    Liberty Rifles.
    MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Working...
    X