Need help with a card game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with a card game

Several ago a few of us learned a game at a living history called Wagon Wheel. It was sort of a solitaire concept in so much as suits had to match others on the table, mixed with dominoes (as all the cards formed a large wheel with spokes) and played with mulitple players.

We all had a great time, but lacking people in our everyday lives that could play with us, have all forgotten how to play. I have scoured the internet for rules to this thing and have come up with nothing. If any of you guys have played this and can remember the particualrs, I would love to hear from you.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Re: Need help with a card game

Justin,
    I do not have the book on hand (packed in storage), but I have a book called something like Hoyle's Card Game Rules. It give rules for all sorts of games including various solitaire games. The game you mention sounds familiar. This book also gives time frame when games were first noted being played.
    I got it at Borders a long time ago. Try that. The book was cheap.
    cheers
    Kurt Loewe
    Botsford Mess
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

I have a Book of Hoyle and don't find anything under the solitaire or domino section that resembles this game and nothing with the name of 'Wagon Wheel' listed.
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

While Hoyle's was in print in the 1860s and earlier, they were the editions of those years and not more recent ones. Rules and games have changed over time and although they can be hard to find we should use the primary resources as references.

Just saying...
        [FONT=Times New Roman]-steve tyler-[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by styler View Post
          While Hoyle's was in print in the 1860s and earlier, they were the editions of those years and not more recent ones. Rules and games have changed over time and although they can be hard to find we should use the primary resources as references.

Just saying...
          I looked in both of my period Hoyles (1857 and 1864) and there were no rules for Patience [English name for Solitaire] or Solitaire.

The first book of rules for Patience/Solitaire was written by Lady Adelaide Cadogan in the early 1870s and had 24 games in it. I have a copy of the 1874 edition and there is a game in there that the layout or tableaux resemebles a wagon wheel. It was called "Le Shah."

It was not until 1883 that Dick & Fitzgerald published an American book on Patience and had 64 games in it. In the latter part of the 19th and early part of the 20th centuries, there were many Patience/Solitaire rule books published and many new variations were being introduced.

There are a few mentions of the card game of patience or solitaire that date to the early 19th century but no rules or explanations accompany the citations. Many secondary sources indicate that solitaire may have been invented near the end of the 16th century but I've not done enough research to confirm the supposition.

There are many games of solitaire on the internet and the Wagon Wheel one may be known by another name, but from what I can tell, it would not have been a game played in during the CW.
          Virginia Mescher
          vmescher@vt.edu
          http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Originally posted by styler View Post
            While Hoyle's was in print in the 1860s and earlier, they were the editions of those years and not more recent ones.
            That's true and your point is well taken. And, of course a period edition is the best as we see in the above post. However, I think that a modern edition of Hoyle can be of value if one is looking for a common game because, as stated earlier, it does have a synoptic history of most of the games which can give the casual reader an idea of some period correct games they can learn to play. Plus, it is a handy source of basic rules for games we know were period, i.e. Euchre, Cribbage.
            Michael Comer
            one of the moderator guys

Comment

I know a card game that sounds exactly like what you described minus the use of dominos. It is called Kings in the Corner and is played just like solitaire but with up to 4 players. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need to know more on how its played.
              Brad Ireland
              Old Line Mess
              4th VA CO. A
              SWB

Comment

Originally posted by cprljohnivey View Post
                I know a card game that sounds exactly like what you described minus the use of dominos. It is called Kings in the Corner and is played just like solitaire but with up to 4 players. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need to know more on how its played.
                If you do a google search there are quite a few hits for " Kings in the Corner" card game but I didn't see any that used dominoes.

I also looked the game, by name, up in all of the period Hoyle's we have and did not find it.
                Virginia Mescher
                vmescher@vt.edu
                http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Well... like I said: "like what you described minus the use of dominos. "
                  Brad Ireland
                  Old Line Mess
                  4th VA CO. A
                  SWB

Comment

Thanks all.

For the Record, I never indicated that I thought this was a period game, I really had no idea, Just figured that someone else may have played it.

John,
                    I found the rule to Kings in the Corner the night I first posted this, seemed pretty close to me. BTW, I never said we used dominoes, it was merely a Dominoe like game.

Thanks to all
                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                    X