Now in color!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now in color!

While taking a break from cramming for the huge PRAXIS teaching exam I have to take next weekend, I took some time to clear my mind and have some fun colorising one of the most intensely clear and in-focus images in the entire LOC Civil Wr collection, LC-DIG-cwpb-01007, "The Peninsula, Va. Lts. George A. Custer, Nicolas Bowen, and William G. Jones," May 1862.

Thought you all might enjoy the results. I took all of the colours from modern photographs of original garments.
    Attached Files
    Jason R. Wickersty
    http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
    Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
    Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
    Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
    Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Re: Now in color!

George thanks you for not drawing attention to the finger wart.
    Marc A. Hermann
    Liberty Rifles.
    MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

I did about 60 colorizations, uh.....while working at an ad agency back in Cincinnati. Business was slow. Very slow.

That looks really good....now let's see the background colorized!

Brian White
      Wambaugh, White, & Co.
      Producers of museum-grade Civil War uniforms and accessories for the historian who demands accurate reproductions.
      Brian White
      [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
      [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
      [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

I thought about colourising the background for a moment, and then instantly decided that I didn't want to spend the rest of my late twenties in this seat working in Photoshop and melting my eyes out.

Oh, yeah. Thanks for reminding me, Hermann...
        Attached Files
        Jason R. Wickersty

Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

Comment

Nice job! I still like the AT-AT pursuing the fleeing Federals though. Any chance you still have that one in your files? I'd love to have that as a desktop.

And don't sweat the PRAXIS test. I've taken two of them -- didn't study for either of them and passed both with flying colors. Which one do you have to take?

Regards
          Matthew Easley

Comment

Hi Matt!

I'm taking the 0081 Social Studies Content Knowledge exam. All the study guides have gotten me worried... asking seemingly random questions about obscure things (one guide had a practice question about the Chinese Opium Wars... I seriously never learned that in any world history course), and I never had economics courses, and I don't have every psychologist and sociologist and their practices and theories memorised, which it also seemed they wanted you to know. These books are supposed to help, but they're making it worse!

Found the AT-AT image... I'm glad you liked it! It was fun to make. I wish I could draw better... I'd so be sketching a bunch of these sorts of oddball scenes. It's a great fun release after spending days in libraries researching. You can't be serious all the time!
            Attached Files
            Jason R. Wickersty

Comment

Great job on the image. You are right about how intense it is. They just about leap off the screen and shake your hand.

Kace
              Kevin 'Kace' Christensen
              7th & 30th Missouri Volunteers

Comment

Jason,

Thanks for the picture.

And as for the 0081 PRAXIS -- don't worry. When I left the room after taking that test, I seriously wondered if I might be able to get my old job with the state back! I completely thought I'd bombed it and would never be certified as a teacher. I was like you -- never took an economics class and there's no hope of me remembering/memorizing the different theories and such.

Two years later, I'm still teaching. Do you have to take the PLT PRAXIS as well?

Regards,
                Matthew Easley

Comment

Jason-
                  you oughtta send that to troiani, he'd probably
                  get a kick out of it. Nice job on the colorized
                  Custer photo! It looks better than 1/2 the stuff
                  I see on a daily basis.

-Jeff
                  Jeff Prechtel

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
                  -Cezanne

Comment

Glad everyone likes them! Thanks! Can't forget this one, too...

I don't think I have to take the PLT PRAXIS... I'm doing the alternate route thing. The thought of spending another year and a half languishing here at a school I can't stand to get through the official teaching programme literally makes my neck freeze up and hurt. I've been waiting to get married for a year already. My fiancée and I would freak out if we had to wait longer than we have to already!You'd have more of a chance seeing me drink a keg of cole slaw while wrestling a pack of bears.
                    Attached Files
                    Jason R. Wickersty

Comment

Jason,
                      those are great! You actually had me in tears laughing at the last two! Great job on the colorization, too!
                      Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                      WIG/GVB
                      In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Jason,

Good luck on the Social Studies Content test! I too was left wondering about my future after leaving the testing site. However, I passed on the first try and have been teaching ever since (2 years). If I remember correctly there were not a lot of questions on economics, sociology, etc. Most were U.S. and World history questions. Some of the questions will initially leave you wondering, "How the heck am I supposed to know that?" because they can get pretty specific, but after a little thought the correct answers started to stand out. Just stay focused and you should be fine.

Bob Bowser
                        Bob Bowser

Comment

A keg of coleslaw? Now I can see you chugging a keg of rice pudding...

Awesome colorization. Gotta love the wart.
                          Your Obedient,

Matthew B. Bursig
                          52nd New York Regt. "German Rangers",
                          & The Daybreak B'hoys Mess

Researching the Life and Times of the 20th NYSV Regt. The "United Turner Rifles"

"Bahn Frei!!"

Comment

Mr. Bursig -

There is no such thing as rice pudding.
                            Marc A. Hermann
                            Liberty Rifles.
                            MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
                            Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Mr. Burisg -

Please tell Mr. Hermann that I have it on good word that Cherry Fizzies, in fact, never existed.
                              Jason R. Wickersty

Comment

Working...
                              X