Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tobacco care

Greetings,
    I am currently involved in helping to raise a crop of tobacco at a local living history site. This is our first year really trying to do it right (to the 18th C. actually). Everything is going well, save that we've had beetles or afids attacking the plants pretty viciously the past few days. Does anyone know of a good period soloution to these pests?
    Thanks!
    Scott Douglas

Comment

Re: tobacco care

How much are you growing? Burley? How old/tall are your plants?
      Are you going to blend and smoke it?
      I can help if you can provide that bit of information.

Field hands had to inspect and rub each leaf and stalk on every plant in the entire field with soapy water to remove aphids, beetles, three kind of worms from hell and mole crickets at the roots too. You will need to do so as well. Period leaf means more work than you can imagine.

Anywhere you can hide Pheromone Traps for the beetles? (The beetles will also attack household items so make sure they are not on your clothes.)

Here is a link to ''good bugs'' if you don't have a large stand of leaf.

Be aware that if you intend to smoke the leaf you will need to remove or neutralize any treatment after you have controlled the pests.
      Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 05-12-2004, 11:39 PM. Reason: spellin'
      B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Originally posted by 33rdfoot
        Greetings,
        I am currently involved in helping to raise a crop of tobacco at a local living history site. This is our first year really trying to do it right (to the 18th C. actually). Everything is going well, save that we've had beetles or afids attacking the plants pretty viciously the past few days. Does anyone know of a good period soloution to these pests?
        Thanks!
        Scott Douglas
        Bugs are simple, I am afraid you have only to begin your journey. Wait until the TOBACCO WORM discovers your plants. :tounge_sm You will discover, as other may have already told you, that raising tobacco is very labor intensive. Historicaly speaking, I am not sure what remedies were used other than hand picking the worms and bugs.

On a serous note, I will post or message a good remedy to use consisting of, and using natural tobacco only. I do not have the link in front of me.
        [SIZE=2][B]Mark Mason[/B][/SIZE] :cool:
        [SIZE=2][I]Tar Water Mess[/I][/SIZE]
        [SIZE=2][I]GHTI[/I][/SIZE]
        [URL]http://http://www.ghti.homestead.com/[/URL]

Comment

Thank you gentlemen.
          Yes, we are familiar with the worms, work, etc., but this particular problem I had not found a rememdy for. I HAVE heard about the soap and water before, so I will try that.
          We are growing a very small plot (only about 40) plants. The majority are heirloom Oronoco, while the rest are Rustica. The plants were only transplanted about 8 days ago and are roughly 5-8" tall. We are going to be produce fine cut pipe tobacco with it (at least for demonstration purposes).
          Thanks once more!
          Scott Douglas

Originally posted by Vuhginyuh
          How much are you growing? Burley? How old/tall are your plants?
          Are you going to blend and smoke it?
          I can help if you can provide that bit of information.

Field hands had to inspect and rub each leaf and stalk on every plant in the entire field with soapy water to remove aphids, beetles, three kind of worms from hell and mole crickets at the roots too. You will need to do so as well. Period leaf means more work than you can imagine.

Anywhere you can hide Pheromone Traps for the beetles? (The beetles will also attack household items so make sure they are not on your clothes.)

Here is a link to ''good bugs'' if you don't have a large stand of leaf.

Be aware that if you intend to smoke the leaf you will need to remove or neutralize any treatment after you have controlled the pests.

Comment

Good luck. I'm sure you will succeed. This is still a rewarding crop.
            B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

plug chewing tobacco

Hello comrades,
              I'm searching for a good source for authentic plug chewing tobacco.
              I know that you can get Red Man and Levi Garret as plug in the US but they are rather small and thinly cut. As far as I know plug chewing tobacco used to be larger and more crudely cut than this one.
              I would appreciate any suggestion.
              Thank you from Germany
              J.H.Berger
              Jan H.Berger
              Hornist

German Mess
              http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Re: plug chewing tobacco

Plug tobacco? Get Cannonball or if you can stand it, Black Mariah(sic?). Cannonball is NC made and mild whereas Black Mariah is tough and will make hair grow on your chest! They made these plugs by mashing flat the sheets and cutting them into squares that can easily fit into a pocket.

If you cannot get plug, then just go with Cumberland Twist. Both ways are correct. The twist has been around as well and I remember a diarist account of several slaves rolling the twists.

I don't know if these are available in Germany or not. But you may can get it at a base over there. Spittle at your leisure!

Mark Berrier
                North State Rifles
                combinations@northstate.net
                Mark Berrier

Comment

I want to say that about 16 years ago, "Days O' Work" was available in Germany (but I might be thinking of the PX). That's a dark plug you can chew almost all morning.

Comment

Day's Work and cannonball are terrible tasting. My favorite is bloodhound. I pick it up whenever I'm south of the Ohio river. I keep it in the freezer.
                    Brian Baird

Comment

Thank you comrades,
                      actually there is nearly no chewing tobacco in plug available in Germany, I get it from the US as well.
                      I have tasted Red Man and Levi Garret and like both, cannon ball not!
                      I have also tried some twist tobacco as well but not my taste neither.
                      I was searching for the one mentioned by you made of layers of tobacco but in the taste of Garret or Red Man.
                      The next time in the US I will have to start a chewing tobacco tasting trip I fear;-)
                      Thank you again boys.
                      Viele Grüsse
                      Jan H.Berger
                      Jan H.Berger
                      Hornist

German Mess
                      http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

I use the Taylor's Pride plug when at a reenactment. Although it is smaller than what the orginals were, it tastes good and also comes in a long cut like Levi and Red Man. Personally I think it tates better than most of the brands out there. Another brand not widely known about is Bowie. It is in a green pouch and has a Bowie knife on it. When you open it up it smells like cherry pipe tobacco. It is also one of my favorites, although it doesn't come in a plug. Just another option you might think about.
                        [B]Yours in the Cause,
                        Jason R. Fowler
                        Blue Ridge Mess
                        Armory Guards[/b]

Comment

OK....Having formally been the webmaster for The Haversack I can answer this question for you. If you are looking for good period plug you need to find some Samuel Gawith. It is and has been made in England since the mid-1800's in the same presses and using the same formulas.

This page will give you a review of the plugs they offer as well as a picture of them:

The thing to remember about tobaccos made in the original fasion is that the nicotine level is MUCH higher than in most comercially available tobaccos produced today. The 1792 plug will sit you down...we're talking feet going numb light-headedness. We've sold some of this English tobacco to life-long chewers who got sick on it so take it easy and slowly. It is VERY good but hard to get used to at first.

Richard (Russ) Russell
                          Co. A 1st Tenn Inf CSA
                          Rock City Guards

Comment

If checking on Gawith tobacco, here's another review page.

(Looks like the same reviews, LOL)

It can be bought in country at Knoxville Cigar.

I like it as far as a smoking tobacco, don't care much for it to chew.

For chew I'll stick to Cumberland Twist and Mammoth Cave twist.

BTW, what happened to The Haversack?
                            Last edited by Amtmann; 06-12-2004, 07:53 AM.
                            Rick Bailey
                            Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

Cumberland is good but doesn't have much taste. Although it is available at your local Food Lion.

Comment

Chew some Mammoth Cave then report back.
                                Rick Bailey
                                Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

Working...
                                X