Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: plug chewing tobacco

Thank you comrades!
    I will try the liinks amd keep my eye open the next time I'm in the US.
    Viele Grüße
    Jan H.Berger
    Jan H.Berger
    Hornist

German Mess
    http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Take it from a tobbacco chewer. The best is "Black Maria". Even thu I grew up and live in the area of the world where the most chewing tobbacco is grown and "Red Man" is made 5 blocks from my house, I still go with Black Maria. I order it by the case, takes about 4 days to get. Ready for the years campaigns.

John M. Wedeward
      33d Wisconsin
      Edgerton, Wisconsin

Edgerton was named in 1920 as the "tobbacco capital of the world". In 1960's the town still had 37 LARGE tobbacco warehouses. when i was doing research 2 weeks ago at The Wisconsin State Historical Society, I brought up a copy of "The Wisconsin Tobbacco Reporter", the local town paper, for the date my mom was born, 1912.

I could not believe it, the FRONT PAGE had business card side adds for 47 tobbacco companies. The school song still "Tobbacco City" in it and the local summer festival is "Tobbacco Days", complete with tobbacco spitting contests and the whole works!

1-800 - chewers for "BLACK MARIA

weed
      John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
      The Hard Head Mess
      The Old Northwest Volunteers
      5th Kentucky Vol's (Thomas' Mudsills)

Company of Military Historians
      Civil War Battlefield Preservation
      Sons of American Revolution
      Sons of Union Veterans

http://www.cwuniforms.net

Ancestors:

Pvt. John Wedeward, Co. A, 42 Illinois Vol. Infantry
      Cpl. Arnold Rader, Co. C, 46th Illinois Vol. Infantry
      Brigadier Gen. John Fellows, 21st Continental Regiment

Comment

I too can speak for the taste and potency of Black Maria. It be not for the faint hearted. The first time I experienced this tasty brick of southern sweetness was at Picket's Mill many years back, it blew a fuse in my brain causing me to become lost in the woods. After some length of time wandering about looking for my pards, I finally spied a camp fire in the distance, only to find that I had stumbled into the enemy camp. The rebs were nice enough to point me, the young tobacco stupered lad from Minnesota, in the direction of the Federal camp and not take me prisoner.

Good but dangerous stuff, that Black Maria!

-Tad
        Tad Salyards
        Mpls, MN - 33d Wisconsin

Comment

Nice "soldier with cigar" image

Greetings,

After a hard day of killing butternuts and suppressing vile, unholy rebellion it's always nice to relax with your favorite cheroot.....

He's got a nice sack coat too!

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Re: Nice "soldier with cigar" image

Hey Mark,
            This must be a fake. As so many EBUFU authenticity standards clearly state, cigars/seegars/cheroots/havanas are smoked only by officers. The troops smoked pipes or chewed. :party:

Cordially,

Comment

Re: Nice "soldier with cigar" image

Hallo Kameraden!

It is indeed, a fake.
              Upon close examination with a lens, one can see that the cigar is actually a photographer's rubber cigar studio "prop."

Wait. Using a stronger lens, I see that I was wrong. I can barely make out the the faint imprint of the words "General Orders 191."

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
              Nicht Rauchen Mess
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Cigars

As mentioned in a previous thread, several EFUBU authenticity standards state that cigars are to be smoked by officers only. I find this to be rather silly. What are your thoughts?
                Attached Files
                Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Re: Cigars

Originally posted by hireddutchcutthroat
                  As mentioned in a previous thread, several EFUBU authenticity standards state that cigars are to be smoked by officers only. I find this to be rather silly. What are your thoughts?
                  I'd tend to agree with you, that it wouldn't be odd to see an enlisted man smoking one, however I often read of soldiers writing about tobacco in loose (i.e. for pipes) form. So does the PEC-ness of pipes necessarily preclude the use of cigars? Hmm. Maybe, maybe not.
                  Marc A. Hermann
                  Liberty Rifles.
                  MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
                  Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Here's another one for you.

Jason R. Wickersty
                    http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
                    Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
                    Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
                    Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
                    Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Regarding the 149th NYSV at Atlanta;

Upon the entering of the evacuated city of Atlanta by the 20th Corp, a detail of 900 men of the third division under Col. John Coburn was met by Mayor Calhoun, who surrendered the city to Col. Coburn saying that he only asks for protection for persons and property. Second division was the first to reach City Hall. The 20th Corps remained in Atlanta for over two months, during that time they were well fed, well housed, and had a pleasant time. As soon as they entered the city, the contents of several large tobacco houses was confiscated. During that time there was a great profusion of plug and fine cut tobacco in the camps, causing the men to discard their briar wood pipes and everyone smoked cigars for a while, much to the detriment of the regimental sutler, who lamented the lack of disipline that permitted the looting of the tobacco shops.

Just thought I'd share it.

Regards;

Dan Houde
                      149th NYSV
                      Last edited by dahoude; 08-21-2004, 04:46 PM.
                      Daniel A. Houde - Proprietor
                      Orchard Hill Cutlery
                      On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OrchardHillCutlery

149th NYSV Co. B
                      www.149thnewyork.com

PM Cobleskill Lodge #394 F.& A.M.
                      A.A.S.R. Valley of Schenectady
                      Oneonta Chapter #277 R.A.M.

"Uncal Sam has about as much care for his nefews as he has for his horses and mules" (Unidentified Union Soldier)

Comment

Not to squelch a perfectly informative thread, but I've never actually seen that in any EBUFU authenticity standards and I've been involved in writing up some of them. Since I don't use tobacco anyway, it is quite conceivable I simply missed it -- but is this a written-up standard or just one of those unchallenged assumptions that makes the rounds of the history-heavy wing every now and then?
                        Bill Watson
                        Stroudsburg

Comment

Originally posted by billwatson
                          Not to squelch a perfectly informative thread, but I've never actually seen that in any EBUFU authenticity standards and I've been involved in writing up some of them. Since I don't use tobacco anyway, it is quite conceivable I simply missed it -- but is this a written-up standard or just one of those unchallenged assumptions that makes the rounds of the history-heavy wing every now and then?

I have seen it in more than one events standard to date, and in my opinion it is more somebodys opinion of what "looked right" rather than any real case of documentaion. If we are to gauge the popularity of cigars to the American public in the 19th century by the number of cigars imported (mostly from Germany) to California in the 1850s-1860s I would have to say they were very popular in general. This does not mean that soldiers in the east had infinant access to cigars, but cigars were cheep and plentiful during the time period.
                          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I have seen it in more than one events standard to date, and in my opinion it is more somebodys opinion of what "looked right" rather than any real case of documentaion. If we are to gauge the popularity of cigars to the American public in the 19th century by the number of cigars imported (mostly from Germany) to California in the 1850s-1860s I would have to say they were very popular in general. This does not mean that soldiers in the east had infinant access to cigars, but cigars were cheep and plentiful during the time period.
                            I checked in _Historic Accounts_ and found in the rual VA store in 1859-1861 there were 99 sales of cigars and quite a few of those sales were for boxes of cigars, which sold for $1.80 to $2.00. One man purchased 200 cigars at one time.

Other tobacco products were sold as well. Pipes and pipe stems were sold, sometime to the same purchaser who purchased cigars at the same time. 9 sales of papers of smoking tobacco were sold for six to ten cents each. There were 48 sales of chewing tobacco ranging in number from individual pieces, twists or plugs to pounds. Plug tobacco was also sold and seemed to be different than chewing tobacco since they were listed separately.
                            Virginia Mescher
                            vmescher@vt.edu
                            http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Originally posted by VIrginia Mescher
                              boxes of cigars, which sold for $1.80 to $2.00. One man purchased 200 cigars at one time.

9 sales of papers of smoking tobacco were sold for six to ten cents each.
                              Is there any way of estimating the cost per smoke? In other words, how many cigars would have been in a box, vs. how many pipes could be filled from a paper of smoking tobacco? That might show how much (or how little) of a luxury a cigar was, compared to a pipe of tobacco.

Hank Trent
                              hanktrent@voyager.net
                              Hank Trent

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Trent
                                Is there any way of estimating the cost per smoke? In other words, how many cigars would have been in a box, vs. how many pipes could be filled from a paper of smoking tobacco? That might show how much (or how little) of a luxury a cigar was, compared to a pipe of tobacco.

Hank Trent
                                hanktrent@voyager.net
                                Okay. Let's assume the cigar boxes in question contained 20 cigars -- an average for purposes of this exercise, and within the range of possibility for the period. At the low end of the price cited at $1.80 per box, that's .09 per cigar. Let's also assume that the paper envelopes of smoking tobacco contained 30 grams of pipe tobacco -- again, typical. You can probably manage at least 10 pipefulls from that package so that comes out to a penny a bowl, even at the high end of .10 per package per the citation.

I therefore submit, that just like today, pipesmoking is a more economical way to take tobacco than cigar smoking, after excluding the initial expense of pipe purchase, which was actually quite low for the clays which were so common as shown by the archeological evidence. We also know some men fashioned pipes themselves at virtually no cost. Of course, some folks just prefer cigars, and it's difficult to quantify subjective criteria.

Not scientific, and not meant to be the last word on the subject, but I think my analysis would hold up pretty well.

Cordially,

Comment

Working...
                                X