X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: pipe tobacco

Edward,
    You should be able to find something here:

Their prices and selection are pretty good.
    John Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by Son of Eire View Post
      There is a very old company out of England called Samuel Gawith that has been making pipe tobacco on the same machinery for 200 years.
      Here's the Samuel Gawith site:

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Although only marginally related to the question at hand, this link is worth perusing:

http://www.tobacco.org/resources/his...History19.html
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Re: Carving Authentic Pipes

I know this post is several years old, but I thought I'd add a little bit of info from my experiences. I have hand carved two briar pipes, one from a pre-cut kit, and one from a whole briar ball. Briar is tough to come by but makes one of the toughest and most durable pipes. When you're getting ready to carve briar, I suggest soaking it in vinegar for about two weeks prior, and then leaving it in the vinegar in between carvings. This softens the wood appreciably. If you're going to use a dremel tool, then ignore me. I used a knife.

If you're going to use a wood that you've picked up, hickory works very well as it is very tough and durable. Stay away from softwoods like poplar, which will burn through very quickly, stay away from evergreens which will make you vomit, and stay away from cedar, which releases nasty fumes and pops when hot. I've gotten in the habit of trying to find a suitable piece of wood at events that I go to on original battlefields, (recent deadfall only) for use as a later pipe. I have a Pickett's Mill pipe, Nash Farm, Alatoona Pass, Resaca, and Kennesaw Mountain, etc. I use a red hot nail to bore the stem-hole, and a similar technique to bore the bowl. The advantage of doing this is that it prevents a nasty first smoke, and two, I like burning things. River reed is pretty easy to come by here in the south, cut some long pieces and let them air dry for a few weeks before cutting them. If they have funk in the middle a piece of wire can be used to push the funk out.The bowl can be carved at will, as boredom dictates, and if you're set on sealing it, I've taken beeswax drippings from a candle and rubbed them into my briar pipe, and rubbed with a soft cloth. It deepens the red a lot, and prevents staining.

Kind Regards,
          Andrew Jerram
          Kind Regards,
          Andrew Jerram

Comment

Re: plug chewing tobacco

Does anyone have an online source where I can get Black Maria?

Andrew Jerram
            Kind Regards,
            Andrew Jerram

Comment

Does anyone have an online source for Black Maria?

Andrew Jerram
              Kind Regards,
              Andrew Jerram

Comment

Re: Carving Authentic Pipes

If you do not want to attempt to carve you own pipe, you can not go wrong with one of Randy Ubben's pipes. I love mine and it always generates positive and envious comments. Randy is great to work with and really helps you create the exact pipe that fits your needs and vision.

Kace
                Kevin 'Kace' Christensen
                7th & 30th Missouri Volunteers

Comment

"Does anyone have an online source for Black Maria?"

They don't have a web site but I know Fred Stoker & Sons carries this nasty stuff!

I use to get their catalogs now and then.

Phone: 901-364-5419
                  Phone: 1-800-243-9377
                  PO Box 707 Dresden, TN 38250
                  Bill Young
                  WIG/GHTI and a Hoosier by the grace of God
                  Jubilee Lodge #746 F&AM Whiteland, IN

[URL=http://ghti.authentic-campaigner.com/]G.H. Thomas' Invincibles[/URL]

[URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]

Comment

Jan,

I have a reproduced period press for cylindrical plugs, copied off the one at Carriage Hill Living History Farm. I can make plugs for you using any type chew you would prefer.

Crabby
                    Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
                    John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

• Re: Carving Authentic Pipes

I also realize this is an old thread, but this might still be useful.

Where can you get apple wood? Check your local phone book. Orchards prune their trees on a regular basis and sometimes cut whole trees that have died or otherwise gone beyond use. Call an orchard, explain that you're a woodcarver and would like some apple to use, and you'll probably get a branch or two, at least. lternatively, check with a commercial tree service and/or firewood seller. If they know you're looking for a specific type of wood for carving, they'll generally save you some. When we heated with wood, we liked to buy ours from a service that cleaned up after storms and removed dead trees from yards. They had just about everything at one time or another and would supply hickory to those who made their own smoked meat, apple and walnut to carvers, etc.

--Becky Morgan
                      Becky Morgan

Comment

• Re: plug chewing tobacco

John,
                        If I send you two pounds of Apple flavored, how much would you charge me to press and wrap into plugs? No need to label it.
                        Kind Regards,
                        Andrew Jerram

Comment

Hope you don't mind if I join in. Also, I realize this question is a bit off topic, but here goes. Has anyone attempted to make a clay pipe? I have done some research into 18th and 19th century (clay) pipes and decided to give it a go. I'm an art teacher with pottery wheels and a kiln in my room, so last spring I made a bowl w/ a short stem on the wheel in the likeness of a molded pipe. I haven't made a reed stem to try it out, yet. I'm pleased with the shape, but I believe I made the mistake of applying a glaze - looks too modern. Next go I believe I'll just fire it once and leave it at that. Has anyone ever tried this before?

Jay Reid
                          9th Texas/165th NY
                          Jay Reid

Comment

Jay,
                            There's nothing wrong with applying a glaze, as all of the originals I have seen have been glazed. I've got two originals that are identical to each other that are both glazed. I think the trick is going to be finding a glaze formula that is closer to what was available. I know the Atlanta History Center has a big demo on homestead-type stuff, and pottery glazes is one of the features. I need to go back and research them. Here's a pic for you.
                            Attached Files
                            Kind Regards,
                            Andrew Jerram

Comment

Nice Image. I think I need a glaze that is clearer/white when applied. I'll try that next time, eh?
                              BTW, hope I didn't crash the discussion throwing a clay statement in there when you all were discussing some very interesting ideas concerning wood. My apologies.
                              I am now looking for some good wood to make a pipe, thak's to this thread. Koodos!

- Jay Reid
                              Jay Reid

Comment

• Re: plug chewing tobacco

As I said earlier, B. J. Stockers phone number is 1- 800 - chewers. It takes about 1 week to get a case of Black Maria from them.;)

Weed
                                John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
                                The Hard Head Mess
                                The Old Northwest Volunteers
                                5th Kentucky Vol's (Thomas' Mudsills)

Company of Military Historians
                                Civil War Battlefield Preservation
                                Sons of American Revolution
                                Sons of Union Veterans

http://www.cwuniforms.net

Ancestors:

Pvt. John Wedeward, Co. A, 42 Illinois Vol. Infantry
                                Cpl. Arnold Rader, Co. C, 46th Illinois Vol. Infantry
                                Brigadier Gen. John Fellows, 21st Continental Regiment

Comment

Working...
                                X