Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bombs Away.

Hey guys,

i was reading the other day from "A Distant Thunder" Michigan in the Civil war. this is a really interesting paragraph, and what do you think about it after you read?

" Bombs Away"

Pg. 39

the Homefront in Michigan had more than a few old-timers who enjoyoed playing armchair general around a cracker barrel or dining room table. At least one citizen, C.G. birbeck of Jonesville, was so bold to as to make suggestions directly to the Secretary of War. why not, Birbeck asked, Blast artillery shells filled with cayeene pepper at the Rebs? these would descend on the infidels like a "destroying Angel." he claimed. Secretary Edwin Stanton said no, thanks.
    However, birbeck's other idea for an alternative weapon was, in retrospect, not nearly as far-fetched. He suggested explosives be dropped on enemy positions from high-altitude balloons-a tactic that, while also rejected, eerily foreshadowed the massive aerial bombardments of the next century.

Best,
    Last edited by John Legg; 11-17-2006, 11:25 PM.
    [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]John R. Legg[/SIZE][/FONT]

[email]Johnlegg90@gmail.com[/email]

"Alright, Legg, what did you screw up now?" - C. Henderson
    Ft.Blakeley LH - May 25-27
    Maryland, My Maryland. - September 7-9
    6th Wisconsin Antietam LH - September 15-17
    150th Perryville - October 5-7
    Valley Forge - January 18-20, 2013

Re: Bombs Away.

WOW! What a thinker! Could this be the first documented thought of NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) warfare. I'm sure Cayenne pepper wouldn't be very pleasant. Think of the pepper spray or pepper bullets of non lethal forms of submission the law enforcement use. I thinks the baloons that were present in the period form were to fragile and not provide enough lift to carry enough bombs. Still though what a thought!
    [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
    Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
    Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
    The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

I know!!

also if they really did the balloon thing, i dont think he really thought of how the Wind Shifts.

Cheers,
      [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]John R. Legg[/SIZE][/FONT]

[email]Johnlegg90@gmail.com[/email]

"Alright, Legg, what did you screw up now?" - C. Henderson
      Ft.Blakeley LH - May 25-27
      Maryland, My Maryland. - September 7-9
      6th Wisconsin Antietam LH - September 15-17
      150th Perryville - October 5-7
      Valley Forge - January 18-20, 2013

Comment

The balloon idea works, ask the Japanese -- or better yet the few civilians in the NW that ended up on the receiving end of a balloon. I dont believe he was referring to saturation or carpet bombing with balloons but a single explosive device.

As far the dirty bombs and the like, this is far from the first idea. Do some looking around and youll find chemical and biological warfare predating our war by several centuries.
        Last edited by Justin Runyon; 11-19-2006, 08:37 PM.
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
        X