Are you ready for some Football!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are you ready for some Football!?!

Here's a print currently for sale on Ebay Express: This one is entitled "1865 Civil War Soldiers Football Soccer" by Winslow Homer.

George "Ranger" Walters
    Co. D, 27th VA
    Stonewall Brigade
    Last edited by RangerSWB; 03-25-2007, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Very interesting topic. I don't recall this sport being mentioned in any of the few dozen ACW diaries & books I've read, altho most (but not all) were by Confederates -- and I don't think this sport had taken much to the South of the country by the time of the war (or so it seems).
      Great pictures, too, especially that photograph! And this drawing directly preceding, also good! It looks pretty physical, alright -- and like most of the "action" is taking place off the field of play! :p
      Also looks like both balls depicted (in the photo & the preceding illustration) are more-or-less spheroid -- tho obviously not perfectly so.
      Charles Kibler
      Co. A, Chesapeake Volunteer Guard
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      [I]"I have been up to see the Congress and they do not seem to be able to do anything except to eat peanuts and chew tobacco, while my army is starving."[/I]
      Robert E. Lee

Comment

Page 90. William Tunnard of the 3rd Louisiana describes football played in the regiment in Camp Jackson, Arkansas in the late summer of 1861.
        Bill Backus

Comment

Since we are back on the topic, the image once again.

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Not a description of the game, but a reference which would indicate common knowledge. When Galveston, Texas, was threatened with being bombarded by the federal fleet in May, 1862, Provost Marshal J. C. Massie was charged with moving excess supplies and stock off of the island. He told a local newspaper "after a few more days the enemy can have all that is left; and if they can make much use of it, they may have my head for a football."--Edward T. Cotham, Jr., _Battle on the Bay: The Civil War Struggle for Galveston_ (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1998), 54.

Vicki Betts

Comment

From a letter to his wife, written by Colonel Robert Bullock of the 7th Florida Infantry,

In camp at Zollicoffer, Tenn. July 17th, 1863.

"The evening of the day I last wrote you, I think I mentioned to you that the In[ ]s stationed at this place would have a ball-play - They did play & entertained me much - about fifty of them came out on ther play ground, divided themselves into two parties - 25 to the side- their play ground was about three hundred yards long - the parties met in the center - throw up a ball, which each party strove to carry back to their end of the ground. They contested very violently with each other for the ball - [ ]d frequently throw each other the hardest falls I ever witnessed - They stripped off [ ] clothing except thier drawers, and when they got through, the perspiration, was [ ]ering off of them. Their play ground was on the bank of a river & immediatly after play, while they were wet with perspiration, they jumped into the river and took a - This ended the play."
              James Permane,

15th U.S. Infantry/ 4th Fla. Vol. Inf'y

http://battleofolustee.org/

Comment

Gen. H. B. Granbury, when imprisoned at Ft Warren wrote to a fellow officer imprisoned at Johnson Island: "we spend an hour every day (except Sunday) playing football and pitching quoit" (March 1862)

From "Lone Star General"-

Joe Walker

Comment

"Four Years in the Iron Brigade," William Ray specifically mentions men of Co F 7th Wisconsin playing football. A set of rules that I have from the 1820s uses the name football, but it's really more like rugby. American football, in the early days was quite a pushing match. The teams huddled together and tried to force the ball downfield, or at least to breakout into the running game. The forward pass hadn't been invented yet. Thankfully, neither had the flying wedge.
                  Rob Weaver
                  Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
                  "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
                  [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Well being from Louisiana I guess I can say "Gooooo Tigers"
                    Sorry had to do that :)
                    Dennis Neal
                    "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
                    David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
                    Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
                    [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
                    J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Originally posted by boreguard View Post
                      Well being from Louisiana I guess I can say "Gooooo Tigers"
                      Sorry had to do that :)
                      "On, Wisconsin..."
                      Rob Weaver
                      Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
                      "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
                      [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

By Mansfield P. Hatch a Musician in the 20th Massachusetts. Written on November 16th 1861 near Washington D.C.

....It is quite cold & chilly here today & the only way I got warm was to go out with the band fellers & play football. We had, I should think, some 30 or 40 at it before dinner. Just got interested in it when the horn was sounded for us to eat grub.....
                        Dane Utter
                        Washington Guard

Comment

Harper's Weekly:

"Holiday in Camp - Soldiers playing Foot-Ball" Sketched by Winslow Homer

Source:
                          Harpers' Weekly, July 15, 1865
                          Paul Calloway
                          Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                          Proud Member of the GHTI
                          Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                          Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

I am reading James Henry Gooding's "On the Alter of Freedom" and he states that the 54th Mass received "a couple of foot-balls". This made me look into the history of football and I found one of the early predecessors to the game we know today was known as the "Boston game", and was played by a group known as the Oneida Football Club who were out of Boston. The Oneida Football Club was formed in 1862 by schoolboys who played the "Boston game" on Boston Common.
                            Marvin Greer
                            Snake Nation Disciples

"Now bounce the Bullies!" -- Lt. David Cornwell 9th Louisiana Colored Troops, Battle of Milliken's Bend.

sigpic

Comment

This website provides some insight into the origins of Rugby. It also suggests that the ball's shape--at least until a rubber bladder was developed--depended completely on the size and shape of the pig's bladder used to inflate it, and was "more plum shaped" than oval. As described, the job of inflating the bladder (through a broken-off clay pipe stem!) does not sound like a desirable one.

-JSK
                              Joe Knight

Armory Guards
                              Yocona Rip Raps
                              "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

In doing my research on the unit I portray, I came across a mention of "football". After searching the forms for more research, and finding this old thread, I thought to add to it with what little I found. Is anyone aware of a "vintage" team playing this sport today, much like "vintage base ball"?

From "History of LaGrange Military Academy and the Cadet Corps" by John A. Wyeth, published in 1907.
                                "Our Saturday vacations were often spent in the rough games of “foot-and-a-half” and “football,” the latter of which was a much milder game than the rough and tumble affair of the college life of to-day. We had the same ball, but we were not permitted to fall upon it, or to pick it up from the ground, but to keep it in motion by kicking in the effort to carry it over the enemy’s goal. The ball could be caught in the air before it struck the ground and then kicked, but if it hit the ground nothing but the foot could touch it."

This website has some nice pictures and information on the "Oldest Soccer Ball", used in 1863, and made by Charles Goodyear.[/URL]

This website has some pictures of "melon" type footballs, including one used in 1907, when Dr. Wyeth's book was published.
                                Captain Matthew Joe Mallory
                                Co E, 35th Alabama Infantry Regiment
                                Co E, 73rd Indiana Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Working...
                                X