Reenacting In The Centennial Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reenacting In The Centennial Years

Don't know if anyone is familiar with this site, however if you want to get a first hand account of what reenacting was like during the Centennial Years 1961 to 1965 go to the web-site below and read Ross Kimmel's account. Makes for some great reading.

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Re: Reenacting In The Centennial Years

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Don't know if anyone is familiar with this site, however if you want to get a first hand account of what reenacting was like during the Centennial Years 1961 to 1965 go to the web-site below and read Ross Kimmel's account. Makes for some great reading.

http://wesclark.com/jw/kimmel.html
    Mr. Raia,
    Many thanks for posting the above link to Centennial reenacting. Great memories & insight to the hobby!

Couple years ago I spoke at length with a fellow who had reenacted in Virginia during the Centennial. He regaled all around the campfire with how the CSA troops were outfitted in Texaco issue grey service station uniforms & armed with m-1 & m-14 rifles.

There were some great threads regarding Centennial kids toys & trading cards on
    this forum prior to the last crash. Unfortunately, my toy soldiers, "Johnny Reb" uniform, cap pistols & musket were consumed by younger brothers as toys were passed down. Somehow everything printed from the Centennial I got as a kid survives in good condition. Rereading how the war was presented in those 1960's pamphlets, in light of subsequent scholarship, makes me dread how the war will doubtless be painted with the PC brush during the Sesquicentennial.

Regards,
    [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
    [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
    16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
    22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
    &
    [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
    4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

I had the pleasure of "camping out" in the back yard of a Member of the 1st Maryland before the 1981 Battle of Gettysburg. I wanted to "reenact EXAXCTLY what Meridath's Brigade (The Iron Brigade) did on the night of and the first day of the battle. So, I drove down The Emmttsburg Road to Marsh Creek (about where the 1st Corps spent the night of June 30, 1863). Here I had a problem. To the left, just passed Marsh Creek, was a very nice house and beautiful front yard, to the right was an average house. I decided that might be my better choise. So, I drove up (wearing a Federal Uniform, complete with frock coat and Hardee Hat, probably looking like I had escaped from an isane asylum (remember this is 1981, not 2006). I knocked on the front door and the lady who answered probably thought I belonged to the asylum. Anyway, I tried to explain what I wanted to do and could I use their land by Marsh Creek as a "bivoack" area. To my astonishment, she did not think it would be much of a problem, she had to ask her husband when he got home, BUT he had PARTICIPATED in the 100 year Centenial Battles. No problem, when he got home, they just had to go out for a while.

So I made my bivwak, complete with campfire, cooked coffee, salt pork, and eat hard tack. They got home a few hours later, but went into the house. About 1/2 hour later, I hear "You'all Yankee is my prisoner" This guy had come out to see and talk with me in an ORIGINAL CONFEDERATE UNIFORM COMPLETE WITH ORIGINAL ACCOUTRAMENTS AND TOWER ENFIELD. We talked around the campfire for about 2 hours before he had to get to bed as he had to work the next day.

John W
      John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
      The Hard Head Mess
      The Old Northwest Volunteers
      5th Kentucky Vol's (Thomas' Mudsills)

Company of Military Historians
      Civil War Battlefield Preservation
      Sons of American Revolution
      Sons of Union Veterans

http://www.cwuniforms.net

Ancestors:

Pvt. John Wedeward, Co. A, 42 Illinois Vol. Infantry
      Cpl. Arnold Rader, Co. C, 46th Illinois Vol. Infantry
      Brigadier Gen. John Fellows, 21st Continental Regiment

Comment

Part 2

I went to sleep as I had a full day also. I wolk up about 6:00 am, made the fire and cooked coffee and salt pork. About 8:00 am, I donned full field gear (the only thing incorrect was I used a toy wooden Springfield instead of a real musket), as this was nothing the NPS agreed too, and I eventually would be on the National Battlefield. I started down the Emmitsburg Road, getting strange looks from people in cars passing by. When I got to the Codorvi House, I cut accoss the fields toward the Lutheran Theological Cemminary and then straight to McPheason's Woolds. There I "fought" an immaginary battle thru the woods towards Willeby Run. After about an hour I retreated to the woods and took the break, just like the real action on the 1st day. After about an hour, I again started "fighting" at McPhearson's Woods, retreating to the breast works at the Theological Cemminary, still fighting my immaginary foe, and finnally taking every bind, back alley I could towards Cemetary Hill and the Gate House.Totally duplicating what the Iron Brigade did on the first day, July 1, 1863.

When I got back to my "host's" house later, I was invited in and had supper and a few drinks with him. I ended up "camping" in his back yard for 4 days before the 1981 reenactment. He had lived in Gettysburg his entire life and had an AMAZING ORIGINAL COLLECTION. I cannot even begin to describe the ID'd things he owned. AMAZING EVEN NOW.

As I mentioned, he was a member of the 1st Maryland in 1961-1965 Centenial Reenactments. He did give me an original program to the 100 year anniverery of The Battle of Antietam and unused tickes to the 100 year anniversery Battle of Gettysburg. I still have both of these.

This experience still AMAZES ME 25 years later.

John Wedeward
        John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
        The Hard Head Mess

Sons of Union Veterans

Ancestors:

Comment

Ken -
          I was sifting through some back-issues of the Military Collector & Historian last night and ran across a report from the Fall of '61 issue regarding the Centennial First Manassas Re-enactment.

Apparently there were dress rehearsals for participants on Friday and the Saturday reenactment went poorly. On Sunday however, they had gotten the hang of it and it went more smoothly.

John L. Miller writes -
          "The North-South Skirmish Association furnished many available uniformed units, armed, and equipped in the manner of the Civil War soldiers; something that could scarely have been achieved without the Association. This organization established safety rules for the re-enactment, and provided leadership in the field. Similar, but unorganized, groups were also present, some of which were provided with authentic weapons loaned to them by "buffs" and collectors. These numbers were bolstered by National Guardsmen, rather sketchily uniformed, and firing blanks in modern weapons. The result was about 2500 men, an estimated fourth of those whose actions were simulated."
          The author goes on to note how "atonishing" it was that there were so few casualties in face of a "considerable display of firepower." The more things change, the more things stay the same.

Several images were included in the article of the 100th Manassas - you might be surprised to know that they had horse-drawn artillery!

Source:
          Military Collector & History: Journal of the Company of Military Collectors & Historians. Washington, D.C. Vol XIII, No. 3. Fall 1961. pp-97-99
          Paul Calloway
          Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
          Proud Member of the GHTI
          Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
          Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Before the most recent crash, there was a young man looking for recollections of centennial events for a compliation he was working on.

I owe him some pictures, and recollections of childhood, but have lost the information. I'd be greatful for his contact information.
            Terre Hood Biederman
            Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
            Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Thanks, Ken for bringing this topic up. Over Christmas I was able to go through my Dad's collection of American Rifleman magazines from the 1960s and began to notice the growing number of technical articles covering such things as how to load a cap and ball revolver, listing the parts of a musket lock, etc. There were several very informative pages covering the Confederate Springfields, early breachloaders and different types of paper and combustible cartridges. The only logic I have as to why these articles were written is the growing interest in the Centennial then taking place, and many members were seeking advice of the safe handling of these old firearms who were unfamiliar with them. I have started post-it noting each article in an effort to some day compile my own three-ring binder of handing information.

Also, one birthday found me in possession of a 1960s printing of a book about the civil war (don't have it here at the time). It was from the perspective of a college professor touring the battle sites with his 10 year old son. In the chapter on Gettysburg is a photograph of one of the "reenactments". With a magnifying glass I could make out cowboy boots, M1 garands, khaki pants and light gray button up dress shirts. There was no attempt for the fellows to keep in ranks or files, much less companies - they just seemed to straggle all over the field. A few souls did have a musket, kepi or cartridge box here and there, and I figure the accoutrements, at least, had to be original.

I recall the CCG article. I found it interesting to read about the reactions the original "hardcores" got from N/SSA participants and the "sewing parties". Whew! And I thought I did weird stuff.

- Jay Reid
              9th Texas
              Jay Reid

Comment

One source for an easy-to-find photo of a 'typical' centennial re-enactor is the National Georgraphic Society book "The Civil War." It is in most public libraries. Near the back of the book is a photo of a Confederate Bugler - Luther Sowers of Salisbury, North Carolina. Look it up - typical gray "Sears" button down shirt, striped suspenders....as bad a farb as one might today imagine.

I haven't seen Luther since Bull Run 1986 (the 125th), but I know that he loves to hate that photo! Not long after it was taken, he looked in the mirror while holding a CdV of a North Carolinian from the war, and began researching, and reproducing, authentic uniforms. He, along with a very few others (mostly from Maryland and Pennsylvania) began the revolution that has made our part of this hobby, and by extension this website, possible. He still makes some of the finest reproductions out there - "Anvil Arms" - though I believe today specializes in metal items, like armour and edged weapons... He made my Federal company-grade frock and kepi back in the early '70s. I got to know him during the bicentennial of the Revolutionary War. He and other members of the First Maryland Regiment had a huge impact on what we would now call C/P/H living history (Bill Brown, Ross Kimmel, Burt Kummerow, Les Jensen, Fred Gaede, Brice Workman - to name but a few). I owe these men a great deal - they set me on the right path!

Jim Moffet
                Co. A, Minnesota First

Comment

During the Centennial Years, both Life magazine and the National Geographic ran annual articles on the "doings." During those years, I had the opportunity to speak with a couple of the participants including Luther Sowers. In the years following, Luther was extremely "shy" regarding one photo of him that was included in the National Geographic. As I recall, the kepi was less then "regulation." He wore what I believe was a light blue chambray work shirt, a red handkerchief (of the "farmer's variety) around his neck, and elastic suspenders with alternating green, blue and white stripes!

Over the years lost contact with Luther who as I recall "repented his ways" and ultimately became a major power on the "dark side."

Might add there are some great photos of the Centennial in both of those magazines as well as some original, full-color artwork.
                  [FONT=Times New Roman]H. L. "Jack" Hanger[/FONT]
                  [I]"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at with a rest, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!"[/I] Chickamauga, 1863

Comment

I have the book, and will make it downstairs to my "war room" and scan the pictures and post them thisafternoon. The pictures also include artillerymen wearing ret T-shirts, National Guardsmen carrying M-1 Garrands with NO type of Military Formation, much less a Civil War "Line of Battle". It all looks like Monty Python's Civil War Curcuis gone made. I think the "short" The Three Stooges Made was more athentic than the cenenial guys,again except for the 1st Maryland.

The best to come out of these "feascals" was groups like "Sherman's Bummers", and in a round about way, Thomas' Mudsills. A number of the original members of the Mudsills had participated in the centenial battles, including foundining member George Durenberger Look for the pictures as I will go down, scan them and post them right now.

John Wedeward
                    John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
                    The Hard Head Mess

Sons of Union Veterans

Ancestors:

Comment

Civil War Centenial Pictures.

Also include is an invatation to probably the 1st Farb Ball and a program For the 100 Aniversery of Manassas Battle

(Sorry, the program got put up in reverse order)

John W
                      Last edited by weed; 05-21-2007, 08:33 PM.
                      John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
                      The Hard Head Mess

Sons of Union Veterans

Ancestors:

Comment

Some nice black and white photographs of the reenactment here.
                        Paul Calloway
                        Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                        Proud Member of the GHTI
                        Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                        Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Wow great photos! keep em coming...
                          Well;

Here is something pretty interesting on the topic. Just go to the County Cloth site and check out some of the great photos in "Old times not forgotten" http://www.crchilds.com/id48.htm
                          I really hope he updates those soon, as they are pretty interesting:) Great photos.

Regards;
                          Harold Adams
                          Co. F, 48th NYVI
                          "On occupation duty in Florida"

Here we are, some with whole skins, and some not so whole. Others have been left behind. For myself, I can only wonder if there is a bone left in my carcass when I think of the wholesale carnage through which I have passed. My bruises are inward.
                          Pvt. J. Haley, Co I, 17th Maine Vols., 9 June 1865

Comment

Growing up in that time period, just for curiosity, I allways ask guys these questions.
                            Does anybody but me and Chris Sullivan remember the Civil War TV series "The Americans" with Jeff and his brother Ben Canfield? I think it ran for about 6 months. Jeff fought for the South and Ben fought for the North.

How about "Willie and the Yank" by Walt Disney, we all know about "Johnny Shiloh" - real person, 12 year old Johnny Clemm - who by the why was not even at that battle, but at The Battle of Chickamaugua.

Besides me, does anybody have a copy of "The Great Locamotive Chase" or "The Making of the Great Locamotive Chase" by Walt Disney?

Off Civil War : "The Swamp Fox" series or "The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh" series" We all know about the Davy Crockett fiasco by Disney, but how about these good ones.

Also, remember the Civil War "Army Men"?. They came in two differant sizes and were great, complete with horses, limbers and guns. Me and my younger brother used to "fight the "Battle of Vicksburg" by digging trenches in the backyard for them, then trying to kill them with .22's and M-80's.

Fun times...

Still have my copy of sholoarly books:

"We were there at The Battle of Gettysburg", c1963
                            Children's Digest " "The Drumber Boy of Shiloh" ,1962
                            "The Stolden Train" (The Andrews Raid) Scholastic Book Club, 1964

John W:)
                            John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
                            The Hard Head Mess

Sons of Union Veterans

Ancestors:

Comment

Originally posted by weed View Post
                              Growing up in that time period, just for curiosity, I allways ask guys these questions.
                              Does anybody but me and Chris Sullivan remember the Civil War TV series "The Americans" with Jeff and his brother Ben Canfield? I think it ran for about 6 months. Jeff fought for the South and Ben fought for the North.

How about "Willie and the Yank" by Walt Disney, we all know about "Johnny Shiloh" - real person, 12 year old Johnny Clemm - who by the why was not even at that battle, but at The Battle of Chickamaugua.

Besides me, does anybody have a copy of "The Great Locamotive Chase" or "The Making of the Great Locamotive Chase" by Walt Disney?

Off Civil War : "The Swamp Fox" series or "The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh" series" We all know about the Davy Crockett fiasco by Disney, but how about these good ones.

Also, remember the Civil War "Army Men"?. They came in two differant sizes and were great, complete with horses, limbers and guns. Me and my younger brother used to "fight the "Battle of Vicksburg" by digging trenches in the backyard for them, then trying to kill them with .22's and M-80's.

Fun times...

Still have my copy of sholoarly books:

"We were there at The Battle of Gettysburg", c1963
                              Children's Digest " "The Drumber Boy of Shiloh" ,1962
                              "The Stolden Train" (The Andrews Raid) Scholastic Book Club, 1964

John W:)
                              John,

Having grown up during the Centennial years and being a Civil War nut at that time, I remember watching all the shows you mentioned. Anything remotely involving a Civil War theme I watched including The Rebel with Nick Adams. There was one episode where Johnny Yuma (the Rebel) is flashing back to the last days of the Civil War. In the episode he is an angry defeated soldier who blames Grant for the defeat of the Confederate Army and he plans to assassinate Grant. In the episode he climbs into some type of air shaft in the McLean house (remember folks this is 1960's Hollywood) and observes the surrender through an air grate with revolver in hand waiting to shoot Grant. Well to make a long story short, Grant is so generous in his surrender terms that the Rebel is brought to tears when he considers what he was about to do. By today’s standards hokey fiction, to a ten year old boy who was into the Civil War at the time of the Centennial it was fantastic stuff!!
                              [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X