This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who makes the best coffee boiler?

my boiler gave up the ghost last weekend in Deridder, Louisiana. I happens when ya fall asleep and all the liquid boils out and it unsolders itself :)
    Anyway, I need a new boiler, or billy cup, or mucket as some call it. I never was impressed with the one I had from the Village Tin Smith. Whom do y'all recommend?
    You know what I want, the one about as big around as a coffee cup, but taller with the lid, a bail and loop on the top.

Ronnie Hull
    Ronnie Hull
    Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
    Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
    Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
    2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
    Before the Breakout September 10-12

Re: who makes the best coffee boiler?

Check out the Approved Vendors link. I recommend Otter Tin.

Regards,
    Tim Blackmon
    Hedgesville Blues
    SHOCKER MESS

Comment

TheWisconsin Veterans Museum has excxellent tinware. [url]museum.dva.state.wi.us
      Terry Sorchy

Comment

Ronnie,

The smallest of the three issue nesting kettles makes a perfect coffee serving size for two. Anything more would be gluttony, and anything less is not worthy of starting a fire.
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Now Chawls, be very clear here--if the man goes to sleep on that small issue kettle, he's still going to melt the solder out. Might take the better part of the night, but nonetheless.......

The fine and skilled blacksmith at Fort Gaines has been chasing a leak around my large issue pot for a couple of months now, the result of an ill-considered loan on my part . Either that, or he's worked his way through years of grease to make one mend, only to find that grease was holding the whole pot together.

Since I've got to make coffee for three at Banks Grand Retreat, I'm seriously considering packing the iron washpot.
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

okay okay I fess up, I went to sleep after eating too much :) My faithful boiler sacrificed its life on the fire instead of waking me up like a good boiler should!

as for coffee gluttony Mr Heath, I'm reminded of a line from GWTW
            "good heavens mrs mead, remember yourself' meaning... hey, I'm from louisiana.. there aint no such thing as too much coffee!!!

ronnie
            Ronnie Hull
            Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
            Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
            Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
            2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
            Before the Breakout September 10-12

Comment

Originally posted by Spinster View Post
              The fine and skilled blacksmith at Fort Gaines has been chasing a leak around my large issue pot for a couple of months now, the result of an ill-considered loan on my part.
              Terre,

Take it on down to the local radiator repair shop. Have him use a little brass rod, and it will be as good as new. I had to do the same thing on one of my kettles, as the shipping gremlins evidently tried to wrap it around a loading dock on the way from Minnesota to warmer climes. Of course, you may have fun explaining how this is NOT a glorified roofing paint bucket. :p
              [B]Charles Heath[/B]
              [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Yet another loose comparison of field coffee and roof paint. Well...better that than anti-fouling hull coatings.

And Nick ************'s (uncovered) boilers with the cast ears are fantastic
                Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 03-01-2007, 06:11 PM.
                B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Garrison,
                  That uncovered boiler was a collaberation between Nick and Otter Creek, truely the best of two worlds colliding and possibly a once in a great while deal to boot.
                  Joseph Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by lthull3rdla View Post
                    my boiler gave up the ghost last weekend in Deridder, Louisiana. I happens when ya fall asleep and all the liquid boils out and it unsolders itself :)
                    Anyway, I need a new boiler, or billy cup, or mucket as some call it. I never was impressed with the one I had from the Village Tin Smith. Whom do y'all recommend?
                    You know what I want, the one about as big around as a coffee cup, but taller with the lid, a bail and loop on the top.

Ronnie Hull
                    Szabos will reopen shortly.

And there goes the LOCK.
                    Paul Calloway
                    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                    Proud Member of the GHTI
                    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Working...
                    X