Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National Archives to raise photocopy rates (significantly!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Archives to raise photocopy rates (significantly!)

Folks,
    I received this through the New England Historic Genealogical Society today. While I understand the need to recoup costs, I believe this to be just a bit excessive...

NARA Raising Photocopy Rates
    The National Archives and Records Administration is raising rates for photocopying records. The most drastic raise concerns Civil War Pension files. Researchers can currently order a complete Civil War pension file for thirty-seven dollars. Under the new pricing structure, it will now cost $125. NARA is welcoming commentary on the new pricing structure. You can read more and make your comments at http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/01jan20071800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2007/E7-3162.htm.
    Matt Adair

Re: National Archives to raise photocopy rates (significantly!)

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to send for a pension file of a recently found relavtive that served with Company "A" of the 27th Michigan. I guess I will have to save up a few more coins to do this now.

Best Regards,
    Tom Klas
    Hard Head Mess
    Citizens Guard

Comment

If the price does actually go up, you may want to check on ordering the microfilm itself and make your own copies. A few years back I was going to order the service records of 6 family members who fought in the same regiment. The cost would have been $17 each, howevre I bought the microfilm reel at a cost of $36 and made my own copies. And was able to make copies for others because of the hundreds of other people on the reel.
      just a thought,
      everett taylor
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Comment

Another option would be to hire an independent researcher or a contractor who does that type of work. Tom Broadfoot, long-time publisher in Wilmington, N.C, offers just such a service. According to his website, a Union pension file costs $50 for the first 20 pages and $1 per page after that.

Eric
        Eric J. Mink
        Co. A, 4th Va Inf
        Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Keep in mind that NARA raised the price on microfilm a while back. It is now up to $65/roll.

Fortunately interlibrary loan can often be used to obtain the film and it can also be rented from NARA for just $2.50 a roll for 30 days. Of course the records I most want isn't available to rent at present.
          Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
          1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
          Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Any ideas as to why such a drastic jump in pricing? I can see prices going up over time but that much at one time seems a bit much! Any idea of other services increasing in price?

-Kyle M. Stetz
            Respectfully,
            -Kyle M. Stetz
            Liberty Rifles

"I think the prospect for an active and laborious campaign in Virginia is pretty clear and we will again this spring renew our old occupation and struggle between life and death for six more weary months." Capt. Samuel S. Brooke 47th Va. Infantry-- March 27, 1864

Comment

Just for further info, the SUVCW has posted a page with additional links and information on the matter.

Matt Adair

Comment

Thanks for posting this info on the NARA's proposal, Matt. I added my comment to the growing list. Thanks also, Everett, for the advice on purchasing the microfilm. That's a great idea.
                Dale Campbell
                The Pine River Boys - 7th Wis., Co. I

Comment

Working...
                X