A few years too early but

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few years too early but

I know it's not Civil War related but it's such a great quote I thought it might be allowed in the Sinks. Sir Colin Campbell at the Alma when told the Guards Brigade must withdraw or surely be destroyed:

"It is better, Sir, that every man of Her Majesty's Guards should lie dead upon the field than they should now turn their back upon the enemy."
    John Duffer
    Independence Mess
    MOOCOWS
    WIG
    "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Re: A few years too early but

Turning your back to the enemy.....

That made me think for a minute. When you deploy out as skirmishers and fall back, do you walk backwards facing the enemy or turn tail until you are in position. I know walking backwards could be a safety issue but I'm curious to learn what was actually supposed to be done. I've heard many soldiers didn't want shot in the back as it would make them appear to be a coward.

1st Cpl. A Witt
    52nd Geo Co. I
    Captain Andy Witt
    52nd Geo Vol Inf Co I CSA
    Blue Ridge Mess

http://www.52ndgeorgia.webs.com

Comment

There are probably several references in the O.R. but one that comes to mind
      regards the 4th U.S., at 2nd Bull Run, while under the command of Captain
      Hiram Dryer. Per his report in the O.Rs., after delivering 3 volleys into
      Confederate forces (the regiment firing by battalion), Captain Dryer gave the
      4th an about face, marched about 30 yards, gave another about face, and
      delivered another volley. He then ordered another about face, marched
      another 60 yards, ordered another about face and delivered another volley
      (from 1 wing only - the regiment being partially covered).

Per Casey's a Direct Step is 28 inches at 90 steps per minute, Double quick
      is 33 inches at 165 steps per minute - it lists a backwards step at 14
      inches. Did not find the steps per minute but even if the steps per minute
      is the same as for Direct Step then a Backwards Step would only cover half
      the distance in a given length of time.

In my opinion it seems that at some points it may make sense to turn your
      back. For example - if you have superior enemy forces advancing on you -
      and they are at a Direct Step and your intent / need is to widen the gap
      between you - that is not going to happen if you order a backwards march -
      because, by the book, it is a much slower pace.

The men may not like to turn their backs - but 1 way - at a backwards
      march you may be over-run or at the least you will be under your enemy's
      guns longer and thus suffer higher casualties. If, however, the command is
      given to about face, and a double quick is given, then the gap will be increased
      faster, etc.
      John S. Harmon
      Co. K, 4th US

Comment

Admiral,

Perhaps "Retire as individuals, by running like the wind" will be a suitable command for late next week.
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Being my memory is still in place but placing things in place has become a chore, I do think I remember reading where an officer in an Arkansas unit gave the command to run to the rear and reform. Don't think that came from Hardee's or Scott's but sure makes sense to me.
          Tom Yearby
          Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Originally posted by rebelfirefighter07 View Post
            Turning your back to the enemy.....

That made me think for a minute. When you deploy out as skirmishers and fall back, do you walk backwards facing the enemy or turn tail until you are in position. I know walking backwards could be a safety issue but I'm curious to learn what was actually supposed to be done. I've heard many soldiers didn't want shot in the back as it would make them appear to be a coward.

1st Cpl. A Witt
            52nd Geo Co. I
            Andy,

PM'd ya!
            Robert W. Hughes
            Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
            Thrasher Mess
            Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
            ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
            Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
            And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Originally posted by straggler View Post
              There are probably several references in the O.R. but one that comes to mind
              regards the 4th U.S., at 2nd Bull Run, while under the command of Captain
              Hiram Dryer. Per his report in the O.Rs., after delivering 3 volleys into
              Confederate forces (the regiment firing by battalion), Captain Dryer gave the
              4th an about face, marched about 30 yards, gave another about face, and
              delivered another volley. He then ordered another about face, marched
              another 60 yards, ordered another about face and delivered another volley
              (from 1 wing only - the regiment being partially covered).

Per Casey's a Direct Step is 28 inches at 90 steps per minute, Double quick
              is 33 inches at 165 steps per minute - it lists a backwards step at 14
              inches. Did not find the steps per minute but even if the steps per minute
              is the same as for Direct Step then a Backwards Step would only cover half
              the distance in a given length of time.

In my opinion it seems that at some points it may make sense to turn your
              back. For example - if you have superior enemy forces advancing on you -
              and they are at a Direct Step and your intent / need is to widen the gap
              between you - that is not going to happen if you order a backwards march -
              because, by the book, it is a much slower pace.

The men may not like to turn their backs - but 1 way - at a backwards
              march you may be over-run or at the least you will be under your enemy's
              guns longer and thus suffer higher casualties. If, however, the command is
              given to about face, and a double quick is given, then the gap will be increased
              faster, etc.
              Yes, that is a very logical point. If you about turn tail you will get away faster. In my opinion though, this quote is an example of the soldier's feelings about doing that. I believe that in some cases it was preferred by soldiers to not turn but face the enemy just like the Sir Colin Campbell is saying. In a sense he is saying 'I would rather we all die then dishonor ourself s'.

I believe that sometimes people read to much into what the manuals say and fail to put into account what the men that where their said. For example, the organization I am in has caught a lot of flak for "creating commands" and marching to the rear when the regimental history for the 79th N.Y. mentions doing that. Not in the manuals, but indeed done.

Comment

Working...
              X