Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooded jacket?

Hi All,

While exploring the Civil War Drawing Collection of the LOC Prints and Photographs Online Catalog I found this drawing by Ed. Forbes of a "Group of Collis' Zouaves, Gen. Banks body guard, etc." Dated 17 April 1862.

Hope this link works:

OR
    http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...cpub,tgmi,lamb,

LOC Reproduction number - LC-USZC4-50107

The item of interest is the hood or hooded jacket worn by the soldier laying in front of the others. At first it I thought it might be a balaclava, but it looks like it is attached to a buttoned jacket, rather similar to a modern hooded sweatjacket. What do you all think?

If the link does not work or if it is possible, can someone a bit more computer savvy than me please post the image for me?

Regards,
    Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Re: Hooded jacket?

Nice post. Not only does that look like a hood of some sort (I'm still not sure if that was attached or not) but look at how many buttons go down the front of that jacket/coat. Has anyone else out there seen an image or an example like this?
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Working...
    X