Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Licensing Fees for Reproducing Museum Items?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Licensing Fees for Reproducing Museum Items?

Tim,

It's probably just a difference of perception, but I view museums as neeeding to govern their actions in a manner that differs from how individual people govern theirs.

As I said above, I take no issue with a museum that wants to be reimbursed for its time and trouble to assist with a special request. I also said nothing that would indicate that I felt the practice under discussion should be illegal or otherwise disallowed. I just wish that institutions would choose otherwise.

To take this down the "can of worms" path, what all is involved with such an agreement? Wouldn't the museum want some sort of inspection process to verify that the reproduction meets its standards? What if it is indeed a shabby reproduction? What if the museum's expectations are too high or inauthentic? No original item appears exactly the same now as it did nearly 150 years ago. Let's say a Confederate jacket whose trim and buttons were removed postwar is reproduced in its original configuration. Does the kickback still apply? How many attributes of the original article must be incorporated into a reproduction to qualify the kickback? Does the museum have the right to inspect the vendor's orders and financial records to see if the fees are paid correctly? What if the museum deaccessions the article? Would the new owner have the right to demand a similar arrangement? It is, after all, from reproductions of his item that someone else is making a profit.

Even without all the above, I still don't think such an arrangement fits into the purpose of a museum. This is the definition of a museum (or very close) that I was taught when I begun work on my Museum Studies degree: http://www.aam-us.org/aboutmuseums/whatis.cfm The part that was most emphasized in classes was "essentially educational." "Making a buck wherever possible" somehow didn't make the list. I also think the AAM's Code of Ethics (http://www.aam-us.org/museumresources/ethics/coe.cfm) relates well, especially the section on collections. Yes, it does explicitly state that the museum has full ownership of its collections, but it also seems to state very clear that the collections are maintained for the benefit of the public, and not for the purpose of making money off that same public.

I don't personally expect private individuals to behave in the same manner. Your reaction to the author wanting access to your research for free sounds quite reasonable to me.

I'm sure you didn't mean that one individual should not be allowed to profit at all from reproducing something owned by another. If that were true, this discussion would be pointless, as the motivation for selling the reproductions would be removed.
    Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Hello,

I'm in the book and document reproduction business. When I first started, I talked to a copyright lawyer about what I do, and in a nutshell here's what he said:

I can reproduce any original form issued by a Federal or State government as it existed in it's original condition without fear of any copyright restriction. It's a government form, and me reproducing is basically the same as picking up a tax form today and photocopying it. I can reproduce any privately published book that is out of copyright and in the Public Domain in it's original form.

The key for me is "in it's original form". See, if I go to a location and see a document I like, if I copy it as it exists in the collection, then I am reproducing their document and must receive permission to do so. If I make a blank document, then I have reproduced a government form, and there is no copyright restriction on it. For the record, I inform the location of my intentions. I mean, I have a website and it's not like they can't find out about it. Most times they don't care. Sometimes they do. For example, Adams Express company doesn't mind me copying their old shipping receipts and money envelopes. American Express does not want me to do this, and this is why, even though I own an original American Express shipping receipt, I do not reproduce them.

As for books, let's say that you made a reproduction of an old book. If I copy your reproduction, I have violated your copyright. But if I go to the original source and make a copy of the same book, then I have produced my own copy and I have not violated your copyright.

For example, I purchased a copy of the very first Dime novel, Malaeska. That book is out of copyright and in the Public Domain. So I made a copy of it. Now let's say that you want to make your own copy of Malaeska without buying mine. If you get your own original copy, fine. But if you copy my reprint, you are violating my copyright.
      Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
      Elverson, PA

Comment

Bob I suppose the water gets a little murkier when we are talking an item as opposed to a book or a form. Copyright is a well established principle but for example you can't patent or copyright a particular suit jacket unless it is highly unique.

And as far as Confederate Artifacts are concerned the definition of "government" also becomes very very suspect. No other government anywhere ever recoginized the CSA or the individual state governments as 'legitimate' governments in the sense of international law. As far as the US government was concerned they were illegitimate power structures in rebellion against the lawful government of America.

Therefore that almost puts anything created by those governments into the realm of private property. You can't copy or reproduce private property without the owners permission.

For example my stepfather is a painter, he can not create and sell a picture of your house without your permission.

I would think the same rules would apply to CSA property and their owners (in the case being discussed a museum).

I think that rule would also apply to former 'government' property that winds up in the hands of a private individual. Using your copyright example, suppose I owned the only original of a Federal form known to be in existance. You could not come to my house and say that because the form once belonged to the government I have to let you copy it. Now if I owned the only original and there were copies in the Smithsonian you could make copies of the copies and I wouldn't be able to stop you.

So in the original case, the museum is the owner of the flag and therefore has the right to 'license' any reproductions of their originals. I think they are well within their rights and the fee seems very reasonable considering what the museum has to go though to preserve and display the flag.

We should think of the 'fee' as a donation toward preserving the artifact we want to make a copy of.
        Bob Sandusky
        Co C 125th NYSVI
        Esperance, NY

Comment

Working...
        X