This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hatless--and in headscarfes

I dont have it handy, but in my book there are two references to soldiers seen wearing head scarfs or tied handkerchiefs (ala pirate) instead of hats-- The Gettysburg invasion was the oppurtunity for Lee's Army to bring back supplies to Virginia. They were short of everything including hats for the men. I do agree that as soon as a hat became available the soldier would put it on, better than bareheaded in the summertime.

csuniforms
    Tom Arliskas
    Tom Arliskas

Comment

Re: Hatless

A quote from "Covered With Glory- The 26th North Carolina Infantry At The Battle Of Gettysburg", by Rod Gragg:

"Pathetically short of headgear, the Johnny Rebs were always on the lookout for a sturdy hat, and when crowding accordian-like through the Pennsylvania towns they would nab any hat within grabbing range. 'As they marched along the streets, sometimes close to the pavements, and in a few cases upon them because of the mud...it required but an instant to grab a hat from the wondering on-looker and place it where it could not be recognized by the owner,' observed a Northern civilian. 'This was repeatedly done in the presence of officers, who invariably tried to have the offending person pointed out...but in the similarity of the men and the necessity for the column to keep moving on, not a single one was detected.' Passing through one Pennsylvania village, a soldier in the 26th North Carolina noticed a well-attired Northerner sneering at the passing Confederates. 'Bud, let's swap hats,' the soldier called out, as he snatched the man's expensive headgear and replaced it with a battered Confederate hat. The surprised critic said nothing."

Dan Hadley
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I think that a hat is not unlike any other piece of gear. Similar to everything from cartridge boxes to haversacks, to trousers, & shoes, at one time or another the men had to do without. It's just a simple fact that during battle or on campaign, equiptment gets lost.

Michael Fahle
        Co. F 2nd USSS

Comment

This kinda got off track. I was just asking who has gone without a hat before. I know they did and did not have them.
          Patrick Rooney

Comment

I was perusing Thomas Arliskas' book, Cadet Gray and Butternut Brownthis morning and came across a couple of references to hatless troops. The setting is after the Battle of Hanover Court House, fought on May 27-28, 1862. The soldiers mentioned are mostly prisoners from the 28th North Carolina. “...and their heads were bound with red handkerchiefs.”

The next reference is about Lee's veterans in the spring of 1863. “A group of some 200 prisoners, captured in the recent battles of the Rapphannock [Fredericksburg] were the most miserable looking lot I ever saw. Like Jacob's coat of many colors, no two garments were alike being of every imaginable pattern and mostly of gray and brow mixture. Some were barefooted, while others were near to it, only, two or three wore caps, the rest having on hats or handkerchiefs tied in turban shape to compare with their cloths.”

It does seem (at least in these situations) that soldiers tried to cover their heads in some fashion, be it cap, hat or handkerchief.
            Tristan Galloway

Comment

Here is some more info:

In a contemporary newspaper article it states; “ They saw them (Confederate soldiers) clad in ragged and worn out clothes; some of them without blankets and without hats.”

A Confederate soldier of the 14th Arkansas Infantry wrote that “our regiment is nearly gone to nothing. Our report to the General Herbert this morning was 225 men in all, 82 without shirts, 96 without shoe, and 38 without hats...”

During the Gettysburg Campaign, on veteran called the condition of the army, “most disgraceful, that fully ten thousand of the men were barefooted, blanketless, and hatless, [when they entered Pennsylvania].
              Tristan Galloway

Comment

I have never gone hatless, and most likely never will go hatless. It is strange, after a weekend of wearing my hat; afterwards, it’s hard to take it of. It has kept my head warm and dry for a weekend and I think that is enough reason not to go hatless.
                Best regards;
                Taylor Clark
                HCB, Lead Balls mess

Comment

I would sooner go headless than hatless. The hat has a definite function and purpose. Whereas.........

Robert Hooker

Comment

Unless you have no other option, hatless isn't practical for those that spend their time outdoors in any era.

In Iraq, we NEVER went without hats! But then again, the sun is much more intense there too. ;)

-Johnny Lloyd
                    Johnny Lloyd
                    John "Johnny" Lloyd
                    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                    SCAR
                    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

I seem to recall reading an account of Lincoln assassanation conspirator Lewis Payne loosing his hat in his attempt to stab Secratery Seward. Apparently he was so distraught about appearing hatless in public that he cut off the bottom of one pants leg and sewed it together to make a sort of cap.
                      Peter Julius
                      North State Rifles

"North Carolina - a vale of humility between two mountains of conceit." Unknown author

Comment

One needs to keep in mind that, because of the strictures of the times, it was considered gentlemanly for a man to wear his hat, and vest for that matter, when in public.
                        Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                        Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                        Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                        Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                        KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

A number of long time members have begged for this thread to be euthanized, even if it is in The Sinks. So be it.
                          Last edited by Charles Heath; 05-04-2007, 02:09 PM. Reason: Boxcar red crayon needed sharpening.
                          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Working...
                          X