This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shiloh Farbfest & Assorted Offal

I won't go into the cluster that the event was for us BUT..

our unit went strictly campaign. And by gosh, we got a lot of attention. LOTS of folks dropping by and taking picture of us cooking up our salt pork and frying up hardtack in the grease.

and by god, I made coffee from beans successfully this time LOL

our shebangs looked good

we have 7 young men in thier mid teens that are working very hard getting thier kits correct. I'm very proud of them for thier effort. They have a long way to go, but they are at least trying, which is a lot more than I can say for most..

I looked good in my ************ stuff.. thanks nick!

Ronnie
    Last edited by JimKindred; 03-26-2007, 08:12 PM.
    Ronnie Hull
    Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
    Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
    Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
    2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
    Before the Breakout September 10-12

Re: Shiolh, the mainstream event

Let me get this right, you live in Louisiana and you didn't go to Banks Grand Retreat?

Shiolh was no comparison, it's more than getting your picture taken and being able to make coffee, please read our BGR threads.
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

We won't be discussing this mainstream event here on the A/C.

Go here to discuss http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3724
      Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Thanks to Gen King & Col. Zimmer for Shiloh Mar 16-18, 2007

A great thanks to Confederate Gen. King & Union Col. Mike Zimmer for their efforts at the March 16-18, 2007 Shiloh 145th Event. The Friday running battle in the woods with cav. & inf. was a realistic moment for the troops. The confederate pressing the Union with its cav. & inf . over the streams & up the hills gave the men a "taste' of realism. The Saturday battle in the woods with flanking issues & cannon was far different that the static battles that many have grown accustom to over the years. These two battles within the regular event was the highlight and made the drive "worth it" for us from Chicago metro. and two days of vacation. Hats off to these officers!!:)

Maj. Trevor Steinbach
        45th Illinois Vols.
        CWDOC 45
        [U]Dr Trevor Steinbach[/U]
        17th Corps Field Hospital - Surgeon
        Medical Director - First Federal Division
        Board of Directors - Society of Civil War Surgeons
        Armisted-Bingham Lodge 1862 - PWM Wisconsin

Comment

Re: Thanks to Gen King & Col. Zimmer for Shiloh Mar 16-18, 2007

Not even a clue, huh?
          Joe Smotherman

Comment

Not even close. ;-) Must have gotten lost on the way to OSz as well...

This event is more suited for discussion on a mainstream board.
            Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
            1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
            Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Mr. Steinbach if you wanted something realistic, you should of gone to BGR. It was something I never experienced before, and was well worth the 18 hour drive. By the way, Joe it was nice meeting you at BGR, see you in the near future.

Grant Wilson
              Grant Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by dusty27 View Post
                We won't be discussing this mainstream event here on the A/C.
                Dusty dispensed an incredibly useful clue free of charge.

Here is another clue, also gratis.

Just because a few select mainstream events with some vaguely redeeming merit (usually the presence of a company or more of CPH folks who want a laid back event) are not molested down in the depths of the "other events" folder, don't get the idea every happy and gay polyester draped, funnel cake provisioned, bizarre specialty impression festooned, coon bone enabling, toe-to-toe powder burning, overloaded enclosed utility trailer park creatin', parking in camp allowing, hillbilly hat encouraging, stainless steel dodging, styrofoam bedecked, Gone With The Wind wannabe-filled, triangle thingie infected, motorcycle camoflaging, speckleware laced, ironmongered, history raping, farbfest that comes down the road merits a full blown discussion of how grand strategy, an 8:1 Reb-to-Fed ratio, and how a snortin' chug of Sunny Delight and a big bowl of Cocoa Puffs on the company street won the day after "much hard fighting."

Special dispensations aside, this is the wrong forum for that sort of event happy hoohah.

Use the link Dusty provided, if you feel the need to gush about some 'fest.

Thank you, for your cooperation.
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

pregressive/ Hardocore unit from Texas

I went to Shiloh, and I was hoping that I would get a good experience with the off site campaign that was held and that maybe some of the men in my unit would want to start taking baby steps to being a more progressive unit. Though only thing that I got out of it was complaining from the men, saying it’s to cold, my feet hurt, and that the packs where to heavy. Its time to move on and I have wanted to move on since the first year of reenacting.

I’m looking for a progressive/ hardcore unit, Federal, that is in Texas. I’m only 17, but I am fed up with mainstream events after 3 years of reenacting, I am ready to move on...
                  any help, I know there are not that many events that are near Texas and that i just missed one that was the same week as Shiloh,,, but I am ready to make the jump into being an authentic reenactor. No more farb fests for me.
                  Best regards;
                  Taylor Clark
                  HCB, Lead Balls mess

Comment

Now this was a keel-hauling...

worthy of the old school mods who patrolled these forums.

Taylor Clark, I am friends with a lot of those guys in the 1st US. In my opinion, they will not begrudge if you seek a little more out of your re-enacting experience than the events they attend.

I'm a little busy these days, but there are guys in North Texas and our area who are progressivley minded. I know Sean Harla went to BGR as a Fed, and you easily could've hooked up with him. You can probably just google the 9th Texas for his contact info. He's a young kid like yourself.

As for Feds in general... You can't go wrong with Cal Kinzer, though he is up in Oklahoma. Also, there is the Texas Ground Hornets. They are as tough as it gets, but they are dual impression and don't do strictly Fed.

Lastly you can also drop me a PM, in the slim chance my personal soap opera lets me out of the house to do another event in my lifetime.

Good luck!

Mike Phineas
                    Arlington, TX
                    Mike Phineas
                    Arlington, TX
                    24th Missouri Infantry
                    Independent Volunteer Battalion
                    www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Working...
                    X