Homemade Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Gear

To all who make their own gear, my hat is off to you. To those who have ever wondered why quality gear is so expensive, try making it yourself. Over the last several days I have worked very hard to make a few things to add to my kit. A shelter half, a gum blanket, and then I tried a haversack. First, let me explain that I am not the greatest person with a sewing needle, and before three days ago I have never used a sewing machine in my life. So, here I am using my grandmothers 60 year old machine and practicing on extra material. I get confident enough to try the real thing and then it all goes to $#%*. I never made a single seam in that tent. The cuss words were flying everywhere, and then so was the tent. The gum blanket was not the worst thing ever to come out of South Carolina, but it was not the greatest either. I just did not apply the cornstarch as good as I should have, so the paint went right through to the other side. It is usable, I think, but I doubt an authentic gum blanket would have been this bad. In my defense; the measurements are in good order, the grommets are properly sized and spaced, and the black side is smooth and somewhat glossy. Now, to the haversack; I did not even think about trying this until I was really frustrated with the tent. The first attempt did not even resemble a mess, much less a haversack. But, I tried again and actually made something that resembles a working model. The stitching was not straight, the cuts were even worse, but I am still proud of it. The buttonholes were handstiched, and that was the hardest part. I really have no clue how to do this kind of work, but it was fun trying, and will try again. Nobody here, including myself, would ever wear such a poor reproduction, but alas, at least I accomplished something. So, here I will offer up an image of what I have named "Brians Poor Reproduction Cotton Haversack."

[I][B]Brian T. McGarrahan[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.trampbrigade.com"]Tramp Brigade Mess[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.scarreenactors.com"]Southeast Coalition of Authentic Reenactors[/URL]
    [I][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]GAME 07[/B][/COLOR][/I]

[CENTER]"[B][SIZE="2"]I am just here to get my name in the program. Wildcats![/SIZE][/B]."[/CENTER]

Re: Homemade Gear

Brian,

I feel your pain. I have been working on drawers for almost 2 weeks now. And what I have isn't perfect but it'll do. It turns out taking Home-Ec in high school was worth something after. I have shirt on deck. I'm just hoping it will be a little more straight forward.

Evan O'Dell

Comment

Keep at it! Most folks don't even try, so your ahead of the curve in the attempt alone!

One thought:
      Sewing canvas can be heck on the hands. You might try some easier fabrics first, so you can get your technique down. Hem a handkerchief, make some poke sacks, etc. ...small easy projects that don't take too much time or money (and won't break your heart or pocket book if they turn out cruddy). Once you have some practice and a bit of confidence, move on to a haversack, a shirt, and so on.

Keep at it!
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

...I just did not apply the cornstarch as good as I should have, so the paint went right through to the other side...
        Brian, the finish should bleed through and not just stick to the surface of the obverse. You did it right.
        B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Congrats on your work. You have to start somewhere and as others have said, keep going. I started with a shelter half, Federal issue shirt (I am assuming your doing a Confederate impression so a Country Cloth Hollyday shirt pattern might be a good idea). Drawers, etc. etc. Keep on doing it ... every additional project will give you experience. With time and doing more period patterns correctly, you will be able to figure out how to do more complex patterns. Also there are many sites on the net that give advice and instruction on period sewing... http://vintagesewing.info/ is one that has helped me a lot. Use the search function here for more information as well. Another idea might be to get a kit. Mr. Waumbaugh, one of the approved vendors here, has them. I have learned a lot by sewing some of my own stuff and especially have gained an appreciation for the women who toiled making many of these items for pennies...

John Feagin
          John Feagin
          Member of the "currently out of the hobby but somehow can't keep away from it" mess
          Carroll Valley, PA
          Good Samaritan Lodge #336 F.&A.M. Gettysburg, PA

Comment

My first project is a pair of drawers, and I have to say that they are progressing capitally (probably because I have the guidance of an experienced seamstress). I'm hoping to get a shell jacket made after this, though I am daunted by how complicated it seems.
            Pvt. Emilio Vallecillo
            "No Mess at All" Mess

Comment

Looks Good to me!!! I agree keep going!!! You only learn by experience! Even the major dealers will tell you, They did have, and still do occasionlally have, a pile of rejects!!! The important thing is not to rush, and look at and study originals. Most reenacting gear is probably actually made to good!!! Some of the stitching i have seen on originals look like a 7 year old sewed them, and probably did if it came from the South!!!! Making your own gear does give one pride!!! Who knkows next year you will probably have your own store!!!

Jeremy

The Mad Mick!!!
              Jeremy G. Richardson

Preserving History by Recreating the Past!

Comment

Mr. McGarrahan,

That was one of the funniest post I've heard in a while. I definitly feel your pain. But I agree with others here. KEEP AT IT! You'll appraciate it in the end. Also being able to not frown upon those $185.00 + trousers that just ripped. "I'll mend it in camp". Nothing authentic like a guy sewing with his housewife in camp. (not that housewife either!)

I recall the day one of my mess said "Let's make groundcloths".
                4 ground. . .well they looked almost like them, later we had one. But now we could make a dozen! Just don't ask me to.

I'll keep at it if you do Mr. MacGarrahan. Good luck in your endevors. Thanks for the laugh. :D
                Regards,
                [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I]J.L. Hurst[/I][/FONT]

[B][FONT="Arial Black"]Independant Rifles[/FONT][/B]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I]Like vandals of old through our land they did ride
                With Hunger and Death always close by their side.
                Came Terror, his herald - but the wailing comes first . . .
                We know he is coming, That demon called Hurst[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I] Who ate my Nutter Butter!?!? Said the angry yet still hungry fellow from Gulf Port[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

Comment

It gets easier with time and practice.
                  So far, I have made probably 2 dozen haversacks, a couple of painted cloth belts, 1 cartridge box, 2 cap pouches, 2 mechanic's hats, countless poke sacks, a Federal issue shirt, and a pair of SA trousers. My next project is a SA fatigue blouse.

Keep at it, and you'll find that your skill will improve the more stuff you make.
                  John Spain
                  4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
                  "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Comment

I have been there. It always feels like I end up spending more on the stuff I am trying to make than if I just bought it from a vendor. But that never seems to stop me. I have made three shirts and my last one wasn't bad.
                    Jake Beckstrand
                    CWPT
                    Member of The Iron Rooster Mess

Comment

Don't be discouraged, we all have some projects that we would rather throw away or burn than try doing it again, but you have a drive that will make you take up the needle again and try to master it. I have made several shirts, jackets, and few trousers in my time as well as haversacks. I can definately tell the old from the new by looking at the stitching and the crispness of the seams. My first shirt never made it to the finished product, but was torn up in a blind fit of rage and later was recycled into poke sacks and a handkerchief:baring_te . The haversacks, like mentioned before are hard on your hands, so practicing on small projects such poke sacks are a great way to get your thread spacing and hand eye coordination down. There are so many people that just want to "buy it now" and not take the time to construct it themselves. I personally prefer the kits, so that I can feel a "connection" with the garment. This is also the reason that I handsew everything I make. I feel that you will learn more by constructing the garment yourself than to have someone else do it for you. My hat is off to you Sir for your attempt, no matter how farby or terrible the construction is. Keep working at it and maybe you will be the tailor for your company, like I have been recently elected to do.

Good Job and keep the fingers bleeding!:cry_smile

Dale Winch

Comment

Mr. Vallecillo:

As for the shell jacket construction, it is not as hard as it may look. Just don't cut some pieces "with the grain" and the rest "against the grain" like I did my first time. Getting a kit from an approved vendor could be a good start, since many of them have very good instructions that take you step by step. IMHO There are flaws in every garment, just the maker knows where they are. Good luck on the Shell.

Dale Winch

Comment

I thought "I'll start easy with a shirt", then said "what the heck is a gussett?" Three shirts (one sort of a shirt) and one haversack later I wanted to try my hand at a pair of trousers. For over a month I have been looking at the pattern and break into a sweat. I'll work up the courage soon (I hope). At least with my shirts I can say, they were made this way. I can just see some poor Confed wearing a shirt his widowed father tried to make for him. I wear it proudly, even though it looks like I made it.
                          To all of you who, like myself, are working on their kit, trying to hand make as much as you can, I say be steady, be brave and we will win our freedom in the end.

Regards
                          Cpl Maxwell
                          1st Texas
                          Battery K
                          Arthur Lee Maxwell
                          Shepherd TX

Comment

Using photo research archives can take much of the mystery out of trouser construction, particularly since most instructions leave some degree of ambiguity. Galla Rock has some excellent pics of Federal SA trousers: http://www.gallarock.com/GettysburgFedMountedPants.html. And Chris Daley has these fine shots of some CS trousers on his site: http://www.cjdaley.com/csartytrowsers.htm Of course, there are other pics out there in cyberspace as well.
                            Bob Williams
                            26th North Carolina Troops
                            Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Originally posted by dwinch View Post
                              Mr. Vallecillo:

As for the shell jacket construction, it is not as hard as it may look. Just don't cut some pieces "with the grain" and the rest "against the grain" like I did my first time. Getting a kit from an approved vendor could be a good start, since many of them have very good instructions that take you step by step. IMHO There are flaws in every garment, just the maker knows where they are. Good luck on the Shell.

Dale Winch
                              Thanks for the advice Mr. Winch :) I was planning on getting a kit from County Cloth and going from there. Your advice is much appreciated!
                              Pvt. Emilio Vallecillo
                              "No Mess at All" Mess

Comment

Working...
                              X