Medical Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Cards

As a near 10-year veteran of reenacting, and a near 20-year veteran of emergency medicine, I cannot over empahsize the importance of medical cards for reenactors. Since I began reenacting I have seen all types of medical emergencies, from the minor to the grave. I have seen reenactors suffer heat exhaustion, dehydration, broken bones, heart attack and stroke. There has even been one instance of death by exposure since I took up this hobby. Although we do not want authenticiy to suffer, neither do we wish 19th century medicine to be practiced upon us.
    Company D of the 3rd ARK recently adopted a practice of requiring all reenactors to carry a medical card when particiapating in an event. The cards are small, and are carried in the cartridge box. (I recommend carrying an additional card in the haver/knapsack.) The information required on the card is name, date of birth, emergency contact information, known medical conditions and/or allergies, current medications, physician's name and telephone number, insurance information and unit designation. The 1st Sgt. and/or 1st Lt. keep a supply to be given to reenactors who fall in with the 3rd ARK from other units. In addition to the adoption of the medical card requirement, I personally recommend the following practices for reenactors.
    All non-coms, company officers and battalion staff should know who among their men are trained to respond to medical emergencies. Although EMS is provided by event sponsors, and is readily on hand during spectator battles, this is often not the case during tacticals and campaigns. Crucial moments should never be lost by not knowing who is quaified to render aid in an emergency. Reenactors should NEVER remove "Medic-Alert" bracelets or necklaces for the sake of authenticity. Historical preservation and education, while important, do not warrant the risk of life. Event sponsors should adopt the practice of "tagging" reenactors at registration to identify those who wear a "Medic-Alert" ID. There should be adopted a universal color, such as solid yellow, green, or red cloth to be tied to a participants right wrist so that anyone called upon to administer aid would be aware to look for the "Medic-Alert" ID. This would be a simple and inexpensive means to provide critical information to emergency responders.
    On a final note, while participating in a recent national event, I was asked to asses the extent of an injury suffered by a reenactor. While I was attempting to asses the patient, an unknown officer on horseback rode up and "ordered" me back in line. All reenactors who are qualified to render aid should remember this, treating the patient comes BEFORE following orders, maintaining first person portrayals and fighting the battle. While all of these elements of the hobby are important, again, none of them are so important as to risk the loss of life.
    [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Re: Medical Cards

Could not agree with you more.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
    X