Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State Seal Buttons

Gentleman

as an officer in the 48th OVI, I am in the process of updating my kit. I wonder, during the late unpleasantries, were there Ohio State Seal Buttons that an officer would have had put on his private purchase, single breasted frock? I admit I have never seen them.
    Nor do I see any in from the mid 19th century in the several button books I have. A quick peek through the various sutlers who supply ovi belt and box plates has turned up nothing.

Just curious.

Ronnie
    Ronnie Hull
    Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
    Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
    Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
    2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
    Before the Breakout September 10-12

Re: Ohio State Seal Buttons

Ohio state seal buttons are very, very scarce. For use on a junior officers single breasted frock, eagle I buttons would be more common. There were Ohio school buttons but these would probably be as scarce as the state seal buttons.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Jim. I figgered they would be scarce as real coffee in Bobby Lee's camp. I have ONE that I found at the Mansfield, LA battlefield in 1980 but it is rough rough rough. I found it in the position of the 48th OVI which we portray federal. Found a nice KY state seal about ten feet from it. Go figure. The only other state seals I have found in the red river campaign area were NY of course, a Massachusetts and one lonesome Connecticut. I don't even know of any Connecticut units that served at Pleasant Hill, La where this one came from. Anyway, thanks

Ronnie
      Ronnie Hull
      Shreveport, La

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

Comment

Ronnie -

Whatever you do, please don't mistake the Ohio buttons that a number of sutlers sell as correct. As far as I am aware, neither Waterbury nor anyone else is reproducing them.

The correct buttons will have the original state seal which includes, not only what is considered the modern seal with the sun rising over the hills with a sheaf of wheat and a bundle of arrows, but also a canal boat on the water at the bottom of the design. The button that you find sold today is of the modern seal within a shield. This is a post-war button that is currently used by the Ohio Highway Patrol on their uniforms.
        Last edited by Forquer; 04-17-2007, 11:46 AM.
        Greg Forquer
        1st (Statehouse) Ohio Light Artillery, Btty A
        30th OVI, Co. B

Comment

Greg thanks for that info. The one i have IS as you describe as I remember. Its been locked in a safety deposit box for ten years or more LOL. I have decided just to go with Eagle I buttons but this info is good. Thanks again
          Ronnie
          Ronnie Hull
          Shreveport, La

Comment

For a a good reference on buttons see Warren K Tice's book on buttons "Uniform Buttons Of The United States 1776-1865. As others have said these buttons are rare
            Even for private purchase best to stay with general service officer buttons. Hope this helps
            Paul
            Paul E Sparks
            Handsome Company Mess

Comment

Hallo!

Indeed! The pre Civil War Ohio State "seal" is a different beastie.

I know of one set of such pre War "militia" type buttons.

Thirty-some years ago, a pard was at a bar discussing our N-SSA unit "Sherman's Bodyguard- or "C" Company of "Squire's Sharpshooters," 7th Independent Company Ohio Volunteer Sharpshooters."
              A lady, a few seats down, overhearing, came up, and said that she was a descendant of Watson Squire, and had some of his "stuff." She said she bring them in the next time.
              My friend figured it was a scam or one of those family "history" lore things.

At the next gathering, the lady came with a very small box containing the Ohio seal buttons and an officer's Eagle swordbelt plate. She said she did not want them, and wanted them to go to someone with an interest in the Civil War who would appreciate and take care of them. Free...
              When asked about the uniform, she said they had thrown it out as it had been extensively eaten by mothes- but they saved the buttons.

Sigh. Nothing like that ever happened to me...
              Although, nearly once. An elderly gentleman came up to me at an event with a CW album of CDV's of all of the officers down to 2nd LT's, of the 63rd Ohio Infantry, identified and with their signatures. He said that as a teenager during WWII he worked as a garbage collector and found it lying on a garbage can.
              (My wife had a relative in the 63rd).

I offered him what I thought was a fair market value (holding a brief fantasy that he would want it to go to someone with an interest in the Civil War who would appreciate and take care of it. Free...)

He declined, saying that a dealer at the last state Civil War show multiplied each picture by XXX dollars.

I never heard or seen of it or the individual pictures likely stripped out of the album and sold separately to generate a higher dollar return...

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

While we're on the topic of rare state seal buttons, I bought a 3-piece muffin style coat-sized Illinois state seal button at a local shop here in Kalamazoo a while back. It was pinned to a large scrap of cloth along with Michigan state seal buttons, musician's harp buttons, U.S. staff officer buttons, Gold Era buttons, coin buttons, etc....of course I picked up most of these but the Illinois state seal button is starting to get to me.

I do not have access to Warren Tice's work and I have yet to run across another Illinois state seal button from any era. The backmark is "Work (or Workman) Bros., Chicago." On the front is an image of an eagle flying over a body of water, with a ship in the water, and a banner in the eagle's beak that I believe says "National Union League".

Brian White
                Wambaugh, White, & Co.
                Brian White
                [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

As far as state seal buttons from Illinos there is no known war time state seal it is most likely post war they appear to be quite common. The only war time Illinois button is a school button from Western Union College and Military Academy Fulton,the button pictures a cannon and a sword crossed with a musket over the cannon. The backmark on the button is either HORTSMAN & CO,HORTSMAN BROS. & CO, OR SUPERIOR QUALITY
                  hope that helps
                  Paul
                  Paul E Sparks
                  Handsome Company Mess

Comment

If you want to send me a private e-mail. I have some orginals I would be willing to sell you.
                    Dave Prince
                    4th Texas Co. E
                    Dave Prince

Comment

Working...
                    X