Nice article on reenacting history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice article on reenacting history

The latest issue of "Legacy" magazine, published by the National Association of Interpreters covers the theme of interpreting war. It has an article by a fellow name John C.F. Luzader titled Civil War, The Early Years of Reenactment. The little author bio at the end says he started reenacting during the centennial and has been doing at least one event each year since. Some of you fellows may know the gentleman.

I found his article to be quite interesting and would recommend it to folks if they can find it. It is not online but I thought I would quote a passage that show just how old this hobby of ours is.

"By the semicentennial of the American Civil War (1911-1915), a new approach had come to the reunions and reenactments of the conflicts...the theme and memorials took on a "Peace Jubilee" format. It began with Manassas in 1911 at activities that over 1,000 veterans and more than 10,000 spectators attended. Tours of the battlefield, speeches, demonstrations, drills by the 15th US Cavalry, and stories told by the veterans around campfires on the battlefield were all part of the celebration. The climax came when veterans from both sides of the conflict formed on Henry House Hill. The former Confederates in two ranks faced North and downhill, and a single rank of former Union soldiers faced South and uphill. Upon a given signal the veterans walked towards each in a 'reenactment' of their maneuvers of July 21, 1861. As they approached each other, they extended their arms and shook hands on the field where they fought 50 years prior. An official photographer and a film maker recorded this historic moment for over five minutes. A final picnic, a return to town, and a speech by President Taft concluded the activities."

The author continues to write about how the hobby changed every 25 years through the centennial. If you can obtain a copy I think you would find it an interesting read.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Re: Nice article on reenacting history

Here's the website for the National Association for Interpretation:

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Re: Nice article on reenacting history

The article itself is not online and you cannot bring it up through the NAI website but you might be able to contact them for a single issue. However, if you have historic sites in your area it might be worth asking if they subscribe to it if you are really interested in reading it. Goes without saying to check local libraries also.
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Working...
      X