X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The job hunt begins.

Justin:

If you're not totally discouraged by now, I recall a statistic in Time magazine about ten or twelve years ago which discussed the percentage of liberal arts majors who were employed in their field five years out of college. History was lowest by far. The three worst were English majors, (50%), Philosophy majors (45%), and yes, the lowest, History majors (30%). My guess it's only become worse.

If I hadn't become 4F at the age of 14 I would have joined the military. As it was, I went to law school and have now practiced law for 14 years. if you still want to hack it out, I would go into the service, do a hitch, and you should be more employable then. The NPS is also where I would focus, too. Drop Lee White a line. Teaching isn't bad, either. Male teachers are in short supply. In any event, you have a long row to hoe.

Good luck.
    Bob Muehleisen
    Furious Five
    Cin, O.

Comment

Originally posted by Clarkbowman View Post
      Can't beat that job.:D
      Good luck with what ever you do.

Wow,
      looks like I am just one more Soldier with a B.A. in History...how the heck does that happen?....oh wait i had a minor in Military Science ..i guess that explains it

best of luck...inner city school are always looking for teachers..my mother spent 35 years in the New York City Public Schools
      Jared Nichols

Liberty Rifles
      - The French Mess

Comment

If you like history and would like to remain in history, perhaps as a teacher, might consider continuing your education and persue post-graduate work. Military history, for example. Consider Ohio State or Kansas as they both have excellent militatary history programs.

High school history teachers are "dime a dozen". For example, in Nebraska, for every history teaching job there are usually 3 to 4 dozen applicants....plus, you have to contend with the old history teacher bugaboo, the coach, who is more interested in athletics! Currently, in my high school we have 6 history/social science teachers. Four of the six are coaches, number 5 is a retired coach (me) and number 6 is pregnant and a non-coach. I suspect when they hire my replacement this year (I am retiring) they will be looking for a coach as well.

Fortunately, for me, I pursued a post-graduate degree and also serve as a member of the adjunct faculty at the local college and I will continue in this capacity.

If you choose the post-graduate route and become a college prof, the rewards are great....although not necessarily in terms of dollars. While working on my Master's, I was able to teach survey courses, had free tuition, received a small stipend and completed my research thesis (History of the Fifth Iowa Cavalry).....plus you are able to establish a network that will remain invaluable in later years.

Best of luck!

J
        [FONT=Times New Roman]H. L. "Jack" Hanger[/FONT]
        [I]"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at with a rest, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!"[/I] Chickamauga, 1863

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I'm not at a point where I'm going to leave my field, that's what I trained for, and that's what I'll do.

I have considered a historians gig for the military after I found out that I was'nt too old for OCS, talked to my father the Col. about that one.

Teaching is a no go, that's not what I trained to do and with all the bull curriculum these days I could'nt handle it.

Again, I appreciate all the responses so far. I'm closing this down as I did'nt really want it to turn into a thread. If anyone hears of anything, drop me a line.

Thanks again.
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
          X