Jno?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jno?

This is an odd place to post this odd question. On another thread "Johnny" abbreviated his name "Jno.". This, of course, is common to the period, and before. We've all seen it. But does anyone know how "John" got perverted to "Jno.", and why? Even given that writing with pen and ink was more of a chore than writing with today's Bic, was it worth eliminating one letter?

Just wondering here.

Ron Myzie

Re: Jno?

I had always thought it was the abbreviation for Johnathan rather than John.

oh well,
    everett taylor
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Comment

To tell the truth, so did I. But then why not "Jna"? The abbreviation is still out of sequence.

Ron Myzie

Comment

Johnny here...
        I noticed random period documents using 3 letters "Jos." for Joseph or Josiah, "Eph." for Ephraim, "Phl." for Philander, etc. as examples I've seen, but can't recollect where at exactly. I know George Washington abbreviated his name "Geo." a few time I've seen in letters that he wrote- sometimes just "G. Wash".

Another question along these lines: Why did people use an underscore under their names with ... (think "John Hancock" or any other seemingly superfluous scrollwork under people's names. I know about Hancock wanting the British to see his name, but other than that legend you get the idea.). By our modern standards, it is useless, but to them... it was a matter of pride. I guess people before the 20th Century just took time to make stuff look pretty- especially penmanship.

Which bring us back to our first question... if they took time to make their penmanship "look pretty" can't they write 3 or four extra letters?

;)- Jno. Lloyd
        Johnny Lloyd
        John "Johnny" Lloyd
        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
        SCAR
        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

That was the writing style of the time. One of the hardest parts of researching older documents is reading their handwriting and abbreviations. It can prove very confusing.

Hints to reading Victorian-era handwriting:
          Watch the double "S's." The first "S" in a pair was often written to look like a lower case "F." Double letters were often written as single letter with a line or tilde above them.

Name abbreviations usually consist of the first three or four letters plus the last letter as a superscript, as you point out. Colonial and Victorian writers were not creating records in anticipation of providing clarity to future generations. They sought only to make things understood to each other.

First letters were not always capitalized. Initials were often used as the "given name".

Depending on the script, a stroke, flourish, curl, swirl, or loop changed the appearance of the letter or word. Extra fancy additions to lettering and free use of abbreviations was perhaps a bit of one-upmanship in a world where not everybody could read. Literacy is something we now tend to take for granted.

Or it could just be personal expression. Why do people use different fonts for their word processing now? To individualize it, or give the document some "flair" for the intended reader. There is little doubt some of our jargon and abbreviations will prove confusing to researchers of our material culture in 150 years, if there is anything left of it to study.
          Last edited by Craig L Barry; 04-21-2007, 08:35 PM.
          Craig L Barry
          Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
          Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
          Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
          Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Another question along these lines: Why did people use an underscore under their names with ... (think "John Hancock" or any other seemingly superfluous scrollwork under people's names. I know about Hancock wanting the British to see his name, but other than that legend you get the idea.). By our modern standards, it is useless, but to them... it was a matter of pride. I guess people before the 20th Century just took time to make stuff look pretty- especially penmanship.
            I suppose it was, as our Pennsylvania Deitsch bretheren might say, "chust for nice". My own normal, very 21st century signature has a very pronounced embellishment.

Ron Myzie

Comment

Please, no more Hancock wanting to make his signature visable stories.
              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
              [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Justin-

Yeah, I know the Hancock wanting the British to see his name thing is about a credible as the Washington throwing a silver dollar across the Rappahannock River or chopping down a cherry tree and not telling a lie. No mistaking history here- it's annoying when people uneducated about our American history/hertiage confuse that stuff with reality.

We're all here to better understand our REAL heritage and history.

;)

Thanks- Johnny "Reb"
                Johnny Lloyd
                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                SCAR
                Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
                X