"For the Glory", any fans ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "For the Glory", any fans ?

I had the opportunity to see this musical while in Gettysburg last year and enjoyed, unfortunately I've been told it will not return.

Dennis Neal
    Last edited by boreguard; 04-25-2007, 05:43 AM.
    Dennis Neal
    "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
    David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
    Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
    [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
    J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Re: "For the Glory", any fans ?

I saw the play in the winter at a college right by me. I agree with you 100%. It was a great production. I was unaware that it was not returning. It's unfortunate that its not coming back. It was a play that everyone would like even without a strong Civil War knowledge.
    Doug Ranson

Button Hat Boys
    Jaunty Bunch
    Cumberland River Legion
    3rd Batt USV

Comment

Back in 2001 (or was it 2002?) I was a member of the first community theatre west of the Big Muddy to put on "The Civil War" musical -- much of which morphed years later into "For the Glory."

Yes, it had value for the community, it was entertaining for cast and audience and -- this was what I enjoyed -- provided an opportunity for the players to discuss the impact of the WBTS on us as a people, regardless/especially because of race and/or gender.

Won't pretend it was a rivoting summation of history, but the performance stirred some passions, nonetheless.

Maybe they'll take the show on tour -- gotta be opera houses at, say, Vicksburg, Memphis, Nashville, Richmond, Atlanta, etc that might consider it for a short run tied in with a battle anniversary or two.

Regards,
      Paul Hadley
      Act, React and Reenact Rangers
      Paul Hadley

Comment

Here's the text of an email I got back on April 6th from Heather Miller of the Majestic theater in Gettysburg.

"Thanks for contacting us about this. We received official word from the producers of For the Glory that they were not able to raise the funds to support another run at the Majestic Theater this summer. For the Glory actually rented the theater from us last summer. We are all disappointed that they won’t be returning. Keep posted to our website for future events.

-Heather Miller
        Administrative Assistant
        Majestic Theater "
        Dennis Neal
        "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
        J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

A local theater company staged a multimedia concert version in Rome, Georgia a couple of years ago. I was asked to advise and to help with uniforms, etc.

The multimedia aspect was outstanding. They used a three screen rear projection Powerpoint presentation on the scrim to project video from authentic events (all amateur video, but remastered). The "book" was also revised to emphasize the western theater and the climatic final scene was implied to be at Frankin.

The production was so succesful that that they presented again the next year and have been asked to turn it into an annual thing.
          Marlin Teat
          [I]“The initial or easy tendency in looking at history is to see it through hindsight. In doing that, we remove the fact that living historical actors at that time…didn’t yet know what was going to happen. We cannot understand the decisions they made unless we understand how they perceived the world they were living in and the choices they were facing.”[/I]-Christopher Browning

Comment

Marlin let me know when you get a date on that, I'd like to see it.
            thanks
            Dennis Neal
            J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Originally posted by boreguard View Post
              Marlin let me know when you get a date on that, I'd like to see it.
              thanks
              I think it will be sometime around the third weekend in October and will be part of Rome's annual "Heritage Holidays" celebration.
              Marlin Teat
              [I]“The initial or easy tendency in looking at history is to see it through hindsight. In doing that, we remove the fact that living historical actors at that time…didn’t yet know what was going to happen. We cannot understand the decisions they made unless we understand how they perceived the world they were living in and the choices they were facing.”[/I]-Christopher Browning

Comment

Working...
              X