Confederate Memorial Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Memorial Park

Some of you may know that a new museum opened in Marbury, Alabama on Saturday.

The project is 20 years in the making, and was very beautifully orchestrated by Bill Rambo. I urge anyone in Alabama of traveling up or down I-65 to take an hour and drop by. The displays provide information on the soldiers home as well as the war in general, and the war and homefront in Alabama.

Here is a link to a story in a local paper.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...=2007704290314

Link to info on the park:

http://www.preserveala.org/confederatepark.aspx?sm=g_d

Galen Wagner
    Yellowhammer Rifles
    Galen Wagner
    Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Re: Confederate Memorial Park

The first item visitors see is a woodcarving done by a veteran who was cared for at the hospital. The depiction of a young Confederate soldier facing away from an old grizzled veteran captured the theme of the museum. On the left, the veteran carved: "As we was '61-'65" and "As we are now, 1919."

Amoung all the flags and uniforms, that tiny poignant little wood carving is the most moving. Its no more than 4 inches tall. The young soldier is straight, his pack on his back, his head high, stepping forward. Beside him, the old man's back is bowed and crooked, his beard trailing, his face lined with pain and age.

The story of warriors in every generation.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Working...
    X