Deja vu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deja vu

I was reading a history of the 2nd Vermont recently and it contained a brief account of a reconnaissance to Lewinsville VA in the latter part of 1861. I immediately had a sense of Deja vu. It hit me that I had read another account of that excursion in another book

Quick browsing of my copy of Nolan's Iron Brigade history I found mention again of this since the 19th Indiana had also participated in the mission. This reminded me a bit of Shelby Foote's novel Shiloh.

Maybe I am weird I just found it kind of neat. Ok I am weird but not necessarily for this reason.

Brings up another question. When I was a kid I remember reading a novel about a Union drummer who was an orphan. A man in his unit (Mr. Putnam was his name I think) adopts him and looks after him. Has anyone else ever read this book?

I would love to read it with my son since he is really starting to get interested in the civil war.

Jason Hamby

In memory of Thomas Jefferson Humberson, Private, Wall's Texas Legion
    Jason Hamby

In memory of Thomas Jefferson Humberson, private, Waul's Texas Legion

Life is hard, even harder when you're stupid

"Don't give the pr&ck the satisfaction"

Re: Deja vu

Can't say that I have ever heard or read the book, but it does sound interesting. I wouldn't mind checking it out also. Hopefully someone chimes in and lets us know what the name of the book is.
    - David Cortez
    Independent

"The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters."
    - Genghis Khan

Comment

Howdy!
      I have an old book in my collection from my childhood titled "We Were There at The Battle of Gettysburg", about a young boy who runs off his grandfather's farm and gets caught up in the battle, volunteering as a Union drummer. Could this be the book? Best regards, Secesh
      Tom "Mingo" Machingo
      Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
      Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
      Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

I don't think so, the title was something like Drummer for the Union, or Union Drummer... I have not been able to find anything under that title on Half, ebay, Abe books or similar. To a kid it was a great book and I want to share it with my son. Wish I had had the foresight to keep it and not get rid of it. As a matter of fact I can't remember when I got rid of it, probably around the time I discovered girls.

Jason Hamby
        Jason Hamby

Comment

"Johnny Shiloh" ???

Not an eastern scenario, but you may be thinking of James A. Rhodes' Johnny Shiloh: A novel of the Civil War published in 1959, just before the Centennial. Amazon sometimes offers the book (http://www.amazon.com/Johnny-Shiloh-...03113&sr=8-2); as well as a VHS version of the 1963 "Wonderful World of Disney" TV production (http://www.amazon.com/Johnny-Shiloh-...903113&sr=8-1).

While the Disney story is "spiced up" a good bit, Rhodes' book is a good retelling of the adventures of John Clem (or Klem), the "drummer boy of Chickamauga" in a novelized format.
          Tom Ezell

Comment

That is not the book but the one I am talking about does have a similar narrative trajectory to the Johnny Clem story. Again, the soldier who "adopts" the young drummer is named Mr. Putnam (about 97% sure of that).

I seem to remember some pretty cool sub stories to the main story such as uniform issue and first combat experiences. I will definitely check out the johnny shiloh book as well since that would still be a story that would catch his interest.

thanks for all of the responses

Jason Hamby

In memory of Thomas Jefferson Humberson, Private, Wall's Texas Legion
            Jason Hamby

Comment

Working...
            X