Why did the Confederacy choose Gray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did the Confederacy choose Gray?

Is there anyone that can provide an answer to this question?

Why the confederacy chose Gray? I was asked this question at a living history... Aside from pre war militia units in the Southern states I have been unable to obtain any tangible documentaion as to why the Southern States
    chose Gray as there primary uniform color. Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sincerely,

Frank J. Aube
    Frank Aube

Re: Why did the Confederacy choose Gray?

This is supposition on my part, but:

1. Wasn't grey the color of the uniforms of cadets at VMI?
    2. Many other military acadamy's were using grey as their cadet uniforms. Certainly the fact that so many grey uniforms existed played into the decision?
    3. Since the regular federal army was blue, they certainly couldn't pick that . . . Brits's were red, Frogs were sky-blue . . . a goverment wanting to be of their own needs a unique army . . .

As I said, just supposition without any citations . . . but then again, this is the Sinks.
    Bill Kane
    Tar Heel Mess
    [url]http://www.tarheelmess.org[/url]

Comment

i believe that the Confederate uniform was based on the Austrian uniforms???
      [SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][B]Howard Davis[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
      [I]Retired[/I]

Comment

I know we covered this topic on the old board...I thought someone had provided some insight to the use of grey material being used because of the simplicity and cost factor (dye being less complicated)?

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
        23rd VA Regt.
        Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
        (Loblolly Mess)
        [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Originally posted by wmkane View Post
          This is supposition on my part, but:

1. Wasn't grey the color of the uniforms of cadets at VMI?

As were the uniforms at The Citadel and West Point. The grey uniform at the time was the traditional cadet's uniform.

As to why the Confederacy chose it??? Not sure.
          Robert Collett
          8th FL / 13th IN
          Armory Guards
          WIG

Comment

One of the main reasons were the Militia, most states specifically South Carolina, Viginia, Alabama and Lousiana had gray militia uniforrms. This was the basis for gray after the calamities at 1st Bull Run/Manasas of having blue on both sides and not being able to tell friend from foe. Since a good percentage of militia had gray it was a natural transition for other units to follow suit.

for research look up pre-war southern states militia uniforms...

Yours Truly
            Eric Maggard
            [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Eric T Maggard[/FONT]

[SIZE="1"][url]http://www.19thalabama.org/[/url]
            [url]http://www.9thkyus.org/[/url]
            [url]http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/[/url][/SIZE]

[I]"Follow me boys, I'm almost home," [/I]

[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="1"]Captain Tod Carter at the Battle of Franklin mortally wounded in his yard and died 2 days later in his boyhood home[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Wasn't gray considered to be the colour of Volunteers?
              Ian Smith
              55th Virginia

"We think from the movments that there is something out [there] but we can tell what!" Thomas Hooper, Diary for
              27th December 1862@ Murfreesboro - Enlisted 1861, wounded at Perryville, Murfreesboro and Missionary Ridge, killed at Franklin.

Comment

Several theories abound:

1. Yankees got first choice when the rebs lost the coin flip
                2. Gray is Rob Hodge's favorite color
                3. Nobody could decide what color "butternut" really is (back then, as well as today)
                4. "The Blue and the Pink" made for a bad mini-series title
                5. Anticipating the rugged individualist spirit of future Confederate reenactors, gray was picked to allow the greatest variety, while ensuring we all remain poor trying to keep our closets up with the latest research...

:D

Seriously, blue was the color of the US Army, and volunteers were eventually clothed in that color uniform once mustering for Federal service. The Confederate States adopted the other predominate color of military uniforms (based on militia/cadets), gray, simply as a practical means of differentiating themselves on the battelfield. Echoes of Glory has a good discussion on the subject. The style eventually adopted by the uniform board was based on a proposed design of that worn by Austrian Army jaegers - a short gray tunic, but I imagine that gray was settled on before the style was finalized. The prevalence of gray dye, gray cloth etc, may have had some influence, but it appears to me like it was simply related to the fact that gray was the only other standard uniform color of the day and blue was already taken. It took the confusion and friendly fire of the early battles to cement the decision however as a few new units mustering in still had blue uniforms as late as Shiloh.

Two of my favorite quotes on the wearing of the gray:

"When I get my gray coat, I intend to sell the blue one and be done with everything that looks the least Yankee-ish." Capt James M Williams, 21st Alabama, after learning that comrades in blue had been fired on by Confederates at Shiloh.

"You wrote to me sometimes since to know whether I wanted a coat or a jacket this winter, & also expressed the belief that you would have to have my suit dyed black or brown...I see clothes in the army dyed a light color which resembles grey at a distance. I wish that you could get it dyed that color. Any other color is preferable to brown or black as neither resembles grey."
                Letters & Recollections of a Confederate Soldier, by Robert David Jamison, Co. D, 45th Tenn. Inf., p. 102
                Soli Deo Gloria
                Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I remember reading that between 60-70 percent of prewar militia companies in the south wore grey. The second most common color being blue. These roles were reversed in the North. Thats just my 2 cents.

John Slade
                  27 Va G
                  Wheeling's own Shriver Greys

Comment

Hello ya'll-

I have a German AmCiv/Napoleonics reenactor friend of mine that said the Confederacy heavily borrowed their uniforms off of the Austro-Hungarian Empire- especially the "chicken guts" on the officer's sleeves as well as color/styles. He oughta know- he's a German history teacher/Bundeswehr Reserve officer and has studied the Napoleonic and American Civil Wars pretty darn thoroughly.

I'd go with that explanation along with the "majority grey/majority blue" as described above.

On that note:

PS- NEVER tell Marines or fellow Army officers that their dress blue pants were based off of French design and colors from the army of Louis Napoleon... the truth just doesn't sit well with them. ;)
                    Johnny Lloyd
                    John "Johnny" Lloyd
                    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                    SCAR
                    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox View Post
                      I know we covered this topic on the old board...I thought someone had provided some insight to the use of grey material being used because of the simplicity and cost factor (dye being less complicated)?

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                      23rd VA Regt.
                      thats what I thought, doesn't wool yarns turn a greyish after being spun before they are woven?
                      Very Respectfully,
                      Robert Young

Comment

Originally posted by bluebellybugleboy View Post
                        thats what I thought, doesn't wool yarns turn a greyish after being spun before they are woven?
                        Ummmm, I would say No-----unless the spinners hands were very very very dirty, and stayed that way throughout the process. Pretty well what you see is what you get when spinning wool.
                        Terre Hood Biederman
                        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who commented on this thread and provided direction.

All of the comments have given me some real tangible answers to the question, they are all much appreciated.

Also, someone mentioned but not on this forum that Sky Blue and Gray are 2 of the hardest colors to see on a smoke filled battlefield.

Thanks Again

Sincereley

Frank J. Aube
                          Frank Aube

Comment

Working...
                          X