Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CW Site in Missouri?

Hello,

I will be in southwest Missouri this June visiting family. This is my first time in the state and would like to visit some CW sites while I am there. In the research that I’ve done I found that there are the battles of Newtonia 1 & 2, Wilson’s Creek, Carthage, and Springfield in that area.

I only have about two days to see battlefields and museums so I would like to see the best that is there. Is there anyone that could offer some advise as to what is the best to see?

Thank you,
    Brian Wiswell
    Brian Wiswell

Re: CW Site in Missouri?

Probably the most bang for your buck would be the Wilson Creek NMP and Sweeney Museum outside Springfield. It can be done in a day, but if you got 2 even better! Carthage is a great site since there really isn't a lot on the field. About the only thing that has changed is where the trees are, but that makes understanding the battle a little bit difficult. If you only have limited time to invest in the great Southwest... Missouri, then IMHO go for the NP.

Jason Huether
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Jason Huether[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    Lazy Skinner's Society

[I]If the Republic goes down in blood and ruin, let its obituary be written thus: "Died of West Point."[/I]
    Brig Gen James A Garfield, 1862

Comment

I'll second that!
      When at Wilson's Creek, make certain you visit Oak Hill (Bloody Hill). Evenings are good, but after dark is best. Watch the fireflies.
      Wear your brogans.
      Mark Warren
      Co. G, 11th Iowa
      Hairy Nation Boys
      Proud descendant of John Randolph Castleman
      Co. A, 43rd VA Cav Batt. (Mosby's Rangers)
      [COLOR="Green"]Gooseberry Pie
      "The Official Dessert of the Hairy Nation Boys"[/COLOR]
      Mark Warren
      Bloomfield, Iowa

Comment

When on Bloody Hill look for my tobacco pouch. I left it there last year when we had our living history. Another battlefield that you could tour is Pea Ridge. It is a couple of hours south in Arkansas.
        Nathan Hellwig
        AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
        "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Wilson's Creek is a beautiful and very pristine battlefield. Be sure to visit the old stone spring house where Lyon's body was placed immediately after the battle. Best regards, Secesh
          Tom "Mingo" Machingo
          Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
          Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
          Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
          KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Pea Ridge, just a little farther down the road in Northwest Arkansas, is a far better use of your time.

There is VERY little to see in Newtonia and until it has been furthered developed with interpretive markers, it is a total waste of time. Also the Newtonia area is far from being a hot bed of development, so that site should remain relatively rural for many years to come.

Wilson's Creek and Pea Ridge, however, are in two rapidly developing areas and you should avail yourself of the opportunity to see them before the urban sprawl has completely enveloped both sites.

Enjoy your visit.
            Robert Wiseman

P.S. If you would like I would be happy to show you around the Pea Ridge area during your visit if you want a "tour guide". I am a volunteer at Pea Ridge and there are many CW treasures in the NW Arkansas area.
            Robert Wiseman

"I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something, than educate people and hope they were entertained." Walt Disney

Comment

I will second Rob's advice. Wilson's Creek and Pea Ridge are both excellent sites and doable in two fast days.

I've never been to Newtonia, but there is little marked at Carthage. The Carthage SHS is actually the location that Sigel's force camped the evening before and after the battle; although cannon were placed on the bluff, little if any real fighting occurred there.

Charles D. Hoskins
              Charles D. Hoskins
              [URL="http://www.holmesbrigade.freeservers.com"]http://www.holmesbrigade.freeservers.com[/URL]
              [URL="http://http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/"]http://http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/[/URL]
              Member, Company of Military Historians
              Member, CWPT
              Washington Historical Society
              Board Member, MCWRA

Comment

Robert Wiseman

Sent you a PM

Brian Wiswell
                Brian Wiswell

Comment

Thank you to all that replied! Your information helped a lot in deciding where to get the most from my time.

Jason Huether, Mark Warren, Tom Machingo, Charles D. Hoskins,

Harrison Holloway, “When on Bloody Hill look for my tobacco pouch. I left it there last year…” If I find one, it’s yours!

Robert Wiseman, Sent you a PM

If any of you are visiting Southern California, (a lot to see here but not much in the way of CW) I’ll be glad to return the favor.

Thank you again,
                  Brian Wiswell
                  Brian Wiswell

Comment

Originally posted by RobWiseman View Post
                    Pea Ridge, just a little farther down the road in Northwest Arkansas, is a far better use of your time.

I'll second that. Pea Ridge is just over the MO/AR border into northwestern Arkansas and is a jewel of a park. It's 4,000 acres and preservs pretty much the entire Pea Ridge/Elkhorn Tavern battlefield, with a darned nice driving tour.

Comment

Working...
                    X