Guide to Richmond battlefields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide to Richmond battlefields

I will be in Chesterfield County, VA this weekend and the beginning of next week. While I'm there I want to check out some of the sites, particularly those associated with Bushrod Johnson's Brigade and the Bermuda Hundred Campaign. I did an undergraduate research project on the 63rd Tennessee Infantry and I want to see where exactly they fought, camped, etc. during 1864-1865. Can anyone recommend some publications that pinpoint exactly where these actions took place between Richmond and Petersburg? I know that the area is the site of rapid development and a lot of it is probably gone. It would still be cool to see, for instance, exactly where the Dunlop house was located at Swift Creek on May 9, 1864 and so on. Any help is appreciated.

Nicholas Roland

Re: Guide to Richmond battlefields

Mr. Roland,

You may wish to check out William Glenn Robertson's Back Door to Richmond. It does have some maps (not so much modern day maps to help guide) but it may be of some assistance to you.

You may want to contact George Fickett for assistance in navigating the battlefields of the Bermuda Hundred Campaign. He has dedicated himself for years in preserving what can be saved of the historic sites in Chesterfield County related to the Civil War. He can be reached at fickettg@chesterfield.gov or (804)-751-4664.
    Sincerely,
    Emmanuel Dabney
    Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
    http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

Re: Guide to Richmond battlefields

Nicholas,

Here is a site worth looking at:

Chesterfield County Civil War Sites

I also suggest stopping by the Richmond NBP headquarters, on Chimborazo Hill on East Broad Street in Richmond, and ask the historian on duty to help you locate some of the more specific and out of the way sites.

Eric
      Last edited by Dignann; 05-24-2007, 02:18 PM.
      Eric J. Mink
      Co. A, 4th Va Inf
      Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Working...
      X