Brunswick, GA Area Battlefields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brunswick, GA Area Battlefields

I will be attending training in July at GLYNCO in Brunswick GA. I was wanting to know if there were any battlefields nearby that I could visit over the weekend I'm there. Something within a couple hours drive would be great.

Battlefields near Brunswick, GA

I apologize I forgot to sign my name on the first thread. As I said before, I will be in Brunswick, GA for two weeks in training and was inquiring about any battlefields in the vicinity that I could visit in my spare time. Thank you for your replies.

Rob Rankin
    Formerly of the 20th Maine
    Currently inactive in Montana.

Comment

Re: Battlefields near Brunswick, GA

Drive down to just inside Florida border and visit Fort Clinch. This weekend is Federal garrison there. Also near Bruswick I believe is Fort Morris Park? an 1812 fort site and museum. In Savannah is Fort McAllister, Fort Pulaski, and Fort ? name escapes me now but it is a brick fort and dates to 1812.
      JIM HENSLEY
      [FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT][FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Jim Hensley[/FONT]
      Order of Heptasophs 1852

Comment

Thank you sir. As I won't be in GA until July I will miss the federal garrisonin Florida. As for the other information iw defineatly check them out, as I do not have to pay for the gas in the rental car I will surely drive and see everything I can.

Rob Rankin
        Fomerly of the 20th Maine Co. F
        Innactive in Montana

Comment

Re: Brunswick, GA in July

You might want to take a look at the following link:

Brunswick is in Glynn County which is a couple counties south of Fort McAllister and Fort Pulaski.

Here's a map.

Unforunately I've never been to the area but lucky for you, God gave me google.

Please do sign your full name to your posts.
          Paul Calloway
          Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
          Proud Member of the GHTI
          Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
          Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

That's old Fort Jackson, the 1812 era masonry fort and I highly suggest Ft McAllister while in Savannah.
            Ross L. Lamoreaux
            rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Re: Brunswick, GA Area Battlefields

Ross,

I'm disapointed you didn't mention Olustee between Jacksonville and Lake City. There is also Camp Milton on the Jacksonville's west side and Ft. Marion / Castillo de San Marco in St Augustine.

Built by the Spanish in St. Augustine to defend Florida and the Atlantic trade route, Castillo de San Marcos National Monument preserves the oldest masonry fortification in the continental United States and interprets more than 450 years of cultural intersections.

Robert Collett
              8th FL / 13th IN
              Armory Guards
              WIG

Comment

While not a battlefield, I'm really surprised no one has mentioned Camp Sumter( Andersonville). Besides the prison there is also a national cemetery, and the POW museum is also on the grounds. Definitely a humbling place.
                Last edited by HighPrvt; 05-29-2007, 07:19 PM. Reason: can't speel
                [SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][B]Howard Davis[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
                [I]Retired[/I]

Comment

I thought about that (Andersonville), but it would be a bit of a drive from Brunswick.
                  Robert Collett
                  8th FL / 13th IN
                  Armory Guards
                  WIG

Comment

Rob,

I work at Glynco, my extension is 4799. Call when you get in town and I will show you around. There are some things worth seeing here in Brunswick.

Rick Atwood
                    Rick Atwood
                    23rd Reg't
                    Va. Vol. Infy

Comment

Working...
                    X