Texas Civil war museum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Civil war museum?

I came across a review online of the opening a few months back of a new CW museum in Fort Worth Texas. Listed some of the items in their collection including a Richmond Depot blanket, tan with end stripes. Also Richmond jacket among other things. Has anyone had a chance to visit there and look over their collection? Jim Hensley
    [FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT][FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Jim Hensley[/FONT]
    Order of Heptasophs 1852

Re: Texas Civil war museum?

I, too, would be interested in hearing what kind of experiences researchers have had with this new facility. According to its website:

The Texas Civil War Museum is a rare partnership in that it contains private collections and a collection in public trust.

I'd be curious to hear how they handle the examination requests for artifacts that might be part of one of the private collections.

Eric
    Eric J. Mink
    Co. A, 4th Va Inf
    Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

I am a volunteer there. What would you like to know.

Joe Walker

Comment

I came across a listing of some items in the collection. I would be interested in any info on the "trousers worn by Sgt. John Tew 51st NC co. K" , what pattern & any details on their construction. "Richmond depot jacket & matching trousers Pvt. James Meade 18th Miss.", "Dark blue blanket with darker blue end stripes" is it possibly a british import?, any of the haversacks that may have AOT documentation. Any details would be appreciated. Jim Hensley
        [FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT][FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Jim Hensley[/FONT]
        Order of Heptasophs 1852

Comment

Mr. Hensley,

I have a scheduled meeting with the owner on Weds. I will get details for you. I have looked at the items you mentioned many times. The Miss jacket is a very early war jacket, with hard rubber buttons but it is close to the RD I pattern but made from what we would call dark British B/G kersey. This combination brings up obvious questions. One of the haversacks looks like a 2-2 twill (cassimere) weave which I thought interesting. This muesum is a gem. Many ID'd items, six shell jackets most with matching trousers. My favorite is the jacket/pants worn by boy in Virginia artillery unit mortally wounded at Gburg. There is an NC jacket with NC buttons made from the classic NC jean (i.e. Tucker jacket) that so many NC's are made of. The museum shares with the Texas UDC their nice flag collection they have. The owner purcased the 4th Tenn flag and many Stuart items last December in Nashville. Also there is the last 9th Texas flag from Moble and one of Morton's flags.

Joe Walker

Comment

I'm on vacation and will be there on Thursday, looking forward to being there.

John Feagin
            John Feagin
            Member of the "currently out of the hobby but somehow can't keep away from it" mess
            Carroll Valley, PA
            Good Samaritan Lodge #336 F.&A.M. Gettysburg, PA

Comment

John,

I will tell them to look for you. They have some nice ID'd US items as well.

Joe Walker

Comment

I too have been there. I think it is worth going to,if you are in the DFW MetroPlex. It is very easy to get to.
                [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

Just some examples of the outstanding stuff in this museum. The provenance on the BG kersey imported overcoat and Mississippi jacket and trousers follows what the McCrae papers have been leading us to - imported uniforms and cloth coming in much earlier than the conventional wisdom. This is the overcoat Chris Daley and Charlie Childs make from the Childs pattern. See the example on http://www.cjdaley.com/csovercoat.htm
                  Attached Files
                  Soli Deo Gloria
                  Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Definately worth seeing. My wife and I were on a weekend trip to Fort Worth and just happened to pass it on the way to the hotel. Its a great way to spend an afternoon.
                    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Jason Huether[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
                    Lazy Skinner's Society

[I]If the Republic goes down in blood and ruin, let its obituary be written thus: "Died of West Point."[/I]
                    Brig Gen James A Garfield, 1862

Comment

More pics...went there on way to BGR. Served with Doug - had a great time!
                      Attached Files
                      Rex Porter
                      Iron Rooster Mess
                      Utah Territories

Comment

The Museum has as about as many items not on display as they have out now. The collection will be rotated to some degree in the near future. Mr Hensley, the Mississippi early BG type "I" Richmond Miss. jacket and trousers are satinette, not British kersey and the Tews trousers a dark brownish grey heavy wool in a "civilian" style cut with side sean pockets and top stitching is by power machine. One haversack is ID'd to Virginia and I will check into the other two next time I work there.

In regards to the comments about the collection, I will say that one item not displayed is the nicest Type II Richmond depot jacket out of BG kersey I have ever seen. The owner intends to rotate it out on display in the near future.

Joe Walker
                        (I am a volunteer staffer there)

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Walker View Post
                          The Museum has as about as many items not on display as they have out now. The collection will be rotated to some degree in the near future. Mr Hensley, the Mississippi early BG type "I" Richmond Miss. jacket and trousers are satinette, not British kersey and the Tews trousers a dark brownish grey heavy wool in a "civilian" style cut with side sean pockets and top stitching is by power machine. One haversack is ID'd to Virginia and I will check into the other two next time I work there.

In regards to the comments about the collection, I will say that one item not displayed is the nicest Type II Richmond depot jacket out of BG kersey I have ever seen. The owner intends to rotate it out on display in the near future.

Joe Walker
                          (I am a volunteer staffer there)
                          Joe - The 18th Mississippi uniform does look like it could be satinet now that you mention it - What I originally assumed must be lining fabric showing through is instead cotton weft fabric. It shows best in the trousers photo with a close up of an arm of the jacket. I just noted that the sign apparently says he wore it at 1st Manassas and then was mustered out in 1861?

As for the RD 2 out of BG kersey, many of us are waiting with baited breath to hear about that one. Niell Rose has brought to light two more of these jackets with South Carolina provenance just in the past year. It will be interesting to hear where this one comes from. Of note, the imported English overcoat makes at least two that are known to exist.

Sounds like you have a part time dream job!
                          Soli Deo Gloria
                          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Well I visited and all I can say was that it was the highlight of my trip along with visiting Pea Ridge. The movie was great. Great displays that allow you to really get close to the artifacts and uniforms. Wonderful flag collection as well as personal items and shirts, etc. My wife, lucky for me, loves history as well but she really liked the Victorian Dress collection from the 1860s to the 1890s as did I. I liked the Texas homefront collections as well for the civilians, coverlets, quilts, childrens clothes... I have to say that it was way better than the collection on the Gettysburg NMP musuem IMHO. A lot more accessable and less crowded. Definately recommended and even worth making a layover of a few hours to a day if you are traveling through DFW. It is about 30 to 40 minutes away. Wow, I'm tired as I just got back home. I got some great pictures... will post tomorrow going to bed now...

Thanks,
                            John Feagin
                            John Feagin
                            Member of the "currently out of the hobby but somehow can't keep away from it" mess
                            Carroll Valley, PA
                            Good Samaritan Lodge #336 F.&A.M. Gettysburg, PA

Comment

Working...
                            X