Looking for information on this cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for information on this cap

I found this cap years ago in a military antiques store and they really couldn't tell me anything about it. I liked it anyway and the price was right, so I bought it. I never have been able to find any information on the maker. Pantke-Harpke Co. of Milwaukee, "Exclusive Hatters since 1860". So, I ask for your opinions on what I may have here. It is old judging by the crazing on the visor, the chin strap is a newer replacement. Gold leaf makers mark is on the sweatband. Any ideas?
    Attached Files
    Jeff Lawson
    2nd Vermont, Co. E

Re: Looking for information on this cap

Jeff,

For starters, see if you can find any makers marks on the backs of the buttons that hold the chin strap in place. If you have a makers mark, it may give you some insight. There are several reference books that will provide that info, Binder's, etc. Realize after the Civil War, many already made buttons were around and used up post war. So a back mark won't be perfect for dating, only helpful.
    Matt Woodburn
    Retired Big Bug
    WIG/GHTI
    Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
    "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

The one button reads "Superior Quality" "Made in England". The other plain button just says "Superior Quality".
      Jeff Lawson
      2nd Vermont, Co. E

Comment

To date the buttons every bit of back mark information including stars, number of stars, presence of stars, back design etc needs to be considered. Steele & Johnson used the Superior / Quality bm which was copied from the British. One of the buttons may be English. The other may have been made by Steele & Johnson. Are the fronts exactly alike? This info can be found on page 43 of the Tice button book.
        Jim Mayo
        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

The phrase "Made in England" points to a button made after the adoption of the McKinley Tarriff, which would date that one particular button to VERY late in the 19th century.
          The font on the label, and its design does not bespeak 1860 style.
          My opinion indeed.
          Steve Sullivan
          CWPT
          Co. Mil. Hist.

Comment

Might this be a GAR veterans cap? How long after the war were those made?
            Jeff Lawson
            2nd Vermont, Co. E

Comment

The term "trade mark" alone would likely date it after the 1881 law, wouldn't it?
              Marc A. Hermann
              Liberty Rifles.
              MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
              Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

I agree with "Made in England" (or any country) generally indicating an origin after the McKinley protection act.

Consider also the phrase "Exclusive hatters since 1860." Can you picture a business today advertising "Exclusive hatters since 2005" unless it was meant as a parody--which it could be, I suppose. But generally, a business waits a suitable length of time before advertising their age.

Hank Trent
                hanktrent@voyager.net
                Hank Trent

Comment

Working...
                X