" In Obedience To Law"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• " In Obedience To Law"

Anyone have that quote handy ? It goes something like, When nation called we answered....we now sleep here in obedience to law..." I know its on a marker at the Resaca Confed. cemetary. Anyone have the entire quote, who it was from and date ?

Thanks.
    Jerry Holmes
    28th GA. Inf
    65th GA. Inf (GGG-Grandfather)

Re: " In Obedience To Law"

Hi Jerry, I believe it is "We sleep here in obedience to law. When duty called- we came, when country called - we died." I have no idea who wrote it. It is in the Georgia section of the cemetery. I hope to get a copy of Mary Greens' journal in a couple of weeks or so, maybe that will give us a clue.

Tony Patton
    Blue Ridge Mess
    Tony Patton

Comment

That's a rough paraphrase of the epitaph of the Spartans at Thermopylae. "Tell them in Laecadaemon, passer-by, that here, obedient to our word, we lie." Classical literature was still part of a good education at that time, and classical allusions are common.
      Rob Weaver
      Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
      "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
      [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

I wondered about that, it sounded like a paraphrase of Herodotus...'Stranger, go tell the Spartans that here we are buried, obedient to their orders.' Translations vary slightly but that is almost certainly the inspiration for the engraving in the Resaca CS cemetary.
        Last edited by Craig L Barry; 06-11-2007, 06:01 PM.
        Craig L Barry
        Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
        Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
        Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
        Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

It is on every Georgia monument with the upright monolith. Vicksburg, Gburg, Sharpsburg, etc. In my oppinion, it speaks for every Confederate who served faithfully or gave the ultimate for his country- Not unlike the Viet Nam soldier, who answered his country's call.

Joe Walker

Comment

Jerry,

Follow this link to Resaca Confederate Cemetery (page 3): www.civilwaralbum.com/misc/resaca_cem.3b.htm ,at which, the headstone in question is pictured. Click the thumbnail image for "Georgia Confederate Soldiers" to see a readable size close-up,
            "GEORGIA
            CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS
            We sleep here in obedience to law.
            When duty called we came.
            When country called we died
            ."

There are also many other noteable headstones & cenotaphs pictured.

Regards,
            [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
            [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
            16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
            22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
            &
            [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
            4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

Working...
            X