• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete Zouave uniform for sale on Ebay

Anyone care to comment on this auction?~Gary

Gary Dombrowski
    [url]http://garyhistart.blogspot.com/[/url]

Re: Complete Zouave uniform for sale on Ebay

Sweet! Although I would like to have some type of verification from Mr. Jensen stating that he in fact did authenticate this uniform before I would attempt to purchase it. If it is authentic it's a very nice grouping! Thanks.
    Tom "Mingo" Machingo
    Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
    Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
    Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
    KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

The funny thing was i was on ebay looking at that. I would have to say in all my years in researching uniforms and original items that has to be the most complete zouave uniform i have ever seen outside of a museum. The seller has many other items as well that i would be surprised that a museum would not want. But hey if i were a millionaire it would all be in my living room on display!!
      Matthew Fox
      Vincent's Brigade 2nd Battlion
      Iron Cross Mess
      45th Georgia

Comment

Principal Musician Chevrons

Quite a set of chevrons......embroidered gold star and all. The 10th Corps Federal Musicians picture of a Principal Musician with chevrons also has this gold star.....

146th NYSV, the 4th Onondoga Regiment.

RJ Samp
        RJ Samp
        (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
        Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Mr. Stamp,

Just for your information:
          The 149th New York is the Fourth Onondaga Regiment. The 146th was acutally mustered in Oneida County.

Regards
          Alexander Stowe

Son of New York

Gettysburg, PA

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, this is the second time they have tried to auction this uniform. Also, there sure seems to be a plethora of intact Zouave uniforms on the collectible market these days....
            Tom "Mingo" Machingo

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
            Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
            KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Personally, I am psyched about the sky blue wool/jean cover on the canteen. :D
              Soli Deo Gloria
              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

gorgeous, just gorgeous. I hope it finds a good home, and not the private museum of some collector.
                -Rob Williams
                Ft. Delaware State Park
                Independent Battery G Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery

"...as sometime happened, there was a company of cavalry out on drill, to engage in a sham fight with the battery...for while cavalry swept down on the guns at a gallop, with sabers flashing in the air, the cannoneers with guns loaded with blank cartridges, of course, stand rigid...until they are within a few rods of the battery. Then the lanyards are pulled..."
                p. 185 Hardtack and coffee

Comment

Originally posted by Secesh View Post
                  Also, there sure seems to be a plethora of intact Zouave uniforms on the collectible market these days....
                  Considering the French were still using zouave uniforms into the 20th century, your sixth sense may be buzzing for a good reason. I am reminded of a certain well known leather goods maker who has had several of his reproduction pieces purchased as originals, and then sent to him for appraisal. One of those items was less than a year old.

Talk about collectors with egg on their face....
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                  [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                    I am reminded of a certain well known leather goods maker who has had several of his reproduction pieces purchased as originals, and then sent to him for appraisal.
                    On the other hand, it's hard to imagine a greater compliment to his materials and workmanship.

The inevitable result of good scholarship and manufacturing will be that kind of mistake. Other than date-stamping things or putting a dot-com address on them, there doesn't seem to be a good way to prevent it. We'll be fine in the future as long as no one auctions those 1961 gray Texaco uniforms as 1861 originals :D
                    Becky Morgan

Comment

Are you saying my Texaco uniform isn't original???!!!
                      Tom "Mingo" Machingo

Vixi Et Didici

Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

My dad had several of those in 1961. Texaco uniforms, not zouave uniforms.
                        Silas Tackitt,
                        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Les Jensen is a member of the Company of Military Historians and the curator of the Army's museum at West Point. If he indeed verified the authenticity of the uniform, I'd say go for it (if you have the disposable capital). As for peasants like myself, I'll pass. It's a tremendous responsibility to preserve such items. Textiles are fragile, must be kept insect free and away from harmful UV that will fade the fabrics. They require temperature and humdity controlled enviroments.
                          GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
                          High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Comment

Originally posted by sustudent View Post
                            Mr. Stamp,

Just for your information:
                            The 149th New York is the Fourth Onondaga Regiment. The 146th was acutally mustered in Oneida County.

Regards
                            Thanks! I should have remembered that because a GGG uncle was in the 146th.....from Annisville, Taberg Township, Oneida County. My GGGG grandfather settled in Rome NY and worked on the Erie Canal....as a towboat mule driver.

and by the way, it's Samp, as in coarsely ground hominy.....not Stamp as in postage.
                            RJ Samp
                            (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
                            Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

The complete Zouave uniform is being sold by Heritage Auction Galleries out of Dallas, Texas. Gary Hendershott, who has been a high end dealor in Civil War antiques for years is associated with them. They also mention it being seen by Les Jensen, so everthing seems in order. It is a remarkable grouping and should go to a public museum. The only thing I question is whether any restoration has been done.

Bob Steele
                              Recruit

Comment

Working...
                              X