Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9-button Federal shell jacket

To all:

Now my main impression is Confederate, as I'm from South Carolina... but I have a blue coat so I can galvanize at those in-state events so I can still have fun. I must confess, I don't know as much about Union uniforms as Confederate ones.

I'm looking to tighten-down my kit in the Yankee realm. I have a 9-button, wool shell jacket (more like a blouse- it falls a bit below the waist) that is lined with black linen. It is dark blue and has federal "I" eagle infantry buttons. No other ornamentation is on it.

Can anyone tell me who or what regiment could have worn this? I was told by someone it is "early war" federal. Anyone seen one like it, because I haven't... yet.

I hope this coat doesn't reek of farbaciousness.

Any help?
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Re: 9-button Federal shell jacket

Alright, I will bite and try to help out a CofC Alum.

I cannot be certain exactly what type of blouse or jacket you are describing. For all I know you could be describing a jacket based on the one pictured on page 150 (Union EOG) ID to the 90th Pennsylvania. However, since you said it was a plain 9 button front, it more likely is what is commonly known in reenacting circles as "state jacket" or "Ohio jacket", which has a 9 button front, plain dark blue wool kersey, and epaulettes.

i.e. http://www.cjdaley.com/statejackets.htm

Also if you can find pictures of the Federals from the Rich Mountain event last summer, a good deal of guys are wearing this style of jacket.

Perhaps you can find a photo of the original it is based off of, or a photo of a repro like it so we can tell for sure what type of jacket/coat that it is, thus we could better help you determine how many, to whom, and when they were issued.

But with all of that said, no matter what type of jacket/coat it is based off of, if it is not of proper pattern, materials, and construction techniques, it should not be carried into the field no matter what scenario or unit you are portraying.
    Dane Utter
    Washington Guard

Comment

NY-

I looked at CJ Daley's pic you sent the link on and sure 'nuff it looks like that one in the picture, but with no epaulettes. It's wool rich with a black linen lining, leading me to believe that it is early war.
      For the record, it isn't "farb-looking" but more like an early war jacket. I just have had no base-of-reference or original picture to put it into. Thanks for the help. I'll try to put a picture of it on here for your examinations.

I'm buying a nice CJ Daley sack coat from a fellow pard on here.

PLHA? Good group of men. You know Neill and Ed...? We've probably met at an in-state event before. I haven't done an event in awhile due to being in a real war/living in Germany.

;) -Johnny "the Reb"
      Johnny Lloyd
      John "Johnny" Lloyd
      SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Any chance it could be someone's attempt at a Schuylkill Arsenal jacket?

It has too few buttons, but your description sounds similar in form. Where did you pick the jacket up? The seller didn't tell you what it was?
        Yours in The Cause,
        Will Tatum
        Lil' Bastid Mess

Esse Quam Videri

Comment

If it has "I" eagle buttons its probally a private purchase or officers coat.
          Breandan Mackie

Comment

Not necessarily. There are a few surviving state examples with "I" Eagle buttons.
            Your shell jacket could range anywhere from state issue to private purchase. If you are doing late war, it would suffice as a private purchase. If not, then maybe a state jacket (from any number of (mostly midwestern) states).
            The thing about shell jackets that are not Schuylkill Arsenal (infantry) pattern, is that they are all very unique, depending on the contractor or seller.
            I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
            Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
            Hard Head Mess
            Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
            Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Hi-
              To clarify- the Buttons on said jacket are Federal Eagle buttons with a small block "I" on the shield in the talons of the eagle. No piping rank or any decoration, but with an inner jacket pocket

Again, I'm pretty sure it is an attempt at a State Jacket without the epaulettes. For all I know, they could have come off or someone ripped them off. I bought it in a pile of other assorted secondhand wares (one of which was an early repro attempt at a Richmond Depot Type II jacket- an excellent buy for 50 bucks- doesn't even look like a repro compared to the originals!) when I wanted to start myself in the hobby about 10 years ago. So, unfortunately, no maker... :(

Thanks for the help.. Johnny
              Johnny Lloyd
              John "Johnny" Lloyd
              SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Hi-
                To clarify- the Buttons on said jacket are Federal Eagle buttons with a small block "I" on the shield in the talons of the eagle. No piping rank or any decoration, but with an inner jacket pocket

Again, I'm pretty sure it is an attempt at a State Jacket without the epaulettes. For all I know, they could have come off or someone ripped them off. I bought it in a pile of other assorted secondhand wares (one of which was an early repro attempt at a Richmond Depot Type II jacket- an excellent buy for 50 bucks- doesn't even look like a repro compared to the originals!) when I wanted to start myself in the hobby about 10 years ago. So, unfortunately, no maker... :(

Thanks for the help.. Johnny
                Johnny Lloyd
                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Are the cuffs functional and, if so, how many buttons on each cuff?
                  Ian Macoy
                  Blue Ridge, VA

Comment

Does it look like this?
                    Last edited by GrumpyDave; 06-18-2007, 05:47 AM. Reason: too many links
                    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                    Past President Potomac Legion
                    Long time member Columbia Rifles
                    Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Yep... it looks like the above, but it has no epaulettes. No buttons anywhere on the sleeves... Johnny
                      Johnny Lloyd
                      John "Johnny" Lloyd
                      SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
                      X