US Still Paying Civil War Veteran Pensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Still Paying Civil War Veteran Pensions

I was reading my wife’s Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War newsletter (General Orders #3, April 2007) the other day and was surprised to find that the Federal Government is still paying Civil War veteran pensions to children of Civil War veterans, according to an article written by Sarah C. Anderson, Chairwoman of the “REAL” Daughters Committee. Apparently, the “REAL” Daughters Committee actively searches for living women who are actual daughters of Civil War soldiers. It seems that many very young women married very old Civil War soldiers for either love or their pension (or both) and these virile veterans fathered many children, some of whom are still living. According to the article, “we have located one ‘REAL’ daughter who is still receiving a pension from the Federal government on her father’s service during the Civil War. I have been informed that five Civil War children are still receiving benefits and hope to make contact with each of them soon.”

For example, the newsletter went on to highlight several “REAL” daughters, one of them being Kathleen Scantlin Graham. Mrs. Graham’s father was Robert J. Scantlin who was born around 1846, enlisted as a private with the 50th Missouri Volunteer Infantry on October 5, 1864, and was mustered out on August 11, 1865. Robert Scantlin married Ollie Clark Goad on 1910 when Ollie was about twenty eight and Robert was sixty four. The article does not note whether Mrs. Graham receives a pension.
    Steve Johsz

Re: US Still Paying Civil War Veteran Pensions

I will be interviewing two Real Daughters of Union Veterans in Nebraska this summer -- one is in her 80s, the other in her 90s. I'll not try to delve into personal finances but will politely ask about veterans' pensions.
    Ever forward,
    Paul Hadley, PDC, Nebraska, SUVCW
    Paul Hadley

Comment

As we should be as these guys fought for their country!!

Comment

The point was not whether these women deserve pensions, but rather that the Federal Government is STILL paying these pensions. After all, the Civil War ended 142 years ago!
        Steve Johsz

Comment

What a great kindness! Its good to know that the US Government provides additional aid for these folks--many of them born at a time, and in an economy that that made them eligible for only minimum social security benefits.

In much the same manner, the United Daughters of the Confederacy continues to provide support, through private gifts, for those True Daughters who are in need.
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Originally posted by SJohsz View Post
            The point was not whether these women deserve pensions, but rather that the Federal Government is STILL paying these pensions. After all, the Civil War ended 142 years ago!
            This isn’t too unusual… even after 142 years.

I currently work for the Department of Veterans Affairs (Veterans Benefits Administration) as GS-11 Veterans Service Representative.

Since being with the VA I've had at least half dozen files of dependent children of CW veterans come across my desk. Granted these children had passed away some 10 years earlier and we were retiring the files to the NARA. A coworker who works in our file room lets me review them prior to retirement.

Just in the last three months I've had two surviving spouses of WWI veterans applying for death pension benefits for the very first time!

Below is taken from Title 38--Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief CHAPTER I--DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS PART 3--ADJUDICATION Sec. 3.57 Child.

Sec. 3.57 Child.

(a) General. (1) Except as provided in paragraphs (a)(2) and (3) of
            this section, the term child of the veteran means an unmarried person
            who is a legitimate child
            , a child legally adopted before the age of 18
            years, a stepchild who acquired that status before the age of 18 years
            and who is a member of the veteran's household or was a member of the
            veteran's household at the time of the veteran's death, or an
            illegitimate child; and
            (i) Who is under the age of 18 years; or
            (ii) Who, before reaching the age of 18 years, became permanently
            incapable of self-support;
            or
            (iii) Who, after reaching the age of 18 years and until completion
            of education or training (but not after reaching the age of 23 years) is
            pursuing a course of instruction at an approved educational institution.
            For the purposes of this section and Sec. 3.667, the term ``educational
            institution'' means a permanent organization that offers courses of
            instruction to a group of students who meet its enrollment criteria. The
            term includes schools, colleges, academies, seminaries, technical
            institutes, and universities, but does not include home-school programs.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 101(4)(A), 104(a))

(2) For the purposes of determining entitlement of benefits based on
            a child's school attendance, the term child of the veteran also includes
            the following unmarried persons:
            (i) A person who was adopted by the veteran between the ages of 18
            and 23 years.
            (ii) A person who became a stepchild of the veteran between the ages
            of 18

TITLE 38--PENSIONS, BONUSES, AND VETERANS' RELIEF

CHAPTER I--DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS

PART 3_ADJUDICATION--Table of Contents

Subpart A_Pension, Compensation, and Dependency and Indemnity
            Compensation

Sec. 3.950 Helpless children; Spanish-American and prior wars.

Marriage is not a bar to the payment of pension or compensation to a
            helpless child under an award approved prior to April 1, 1944. The
            presumption, arising from the fact of marriage, that

[[Page 345]]

helplessness has ceased may be overcome by positive proof of continuing
            helplessness. As to awards approved on or after April 1, 1944, pension
            or compensation may not be paid to a helpless child who has married.

[26 FR 1608, Feb. 24, 1961]
            Last edited by Hoosier Yank; 06-24-2007, 09:40 AM.
            Bill Young
            WIG/GHTI and a Hoosier by the grace of God
            Jubilee Lodge #746 F&AM Whiteland, IN

[URL=http://ghti.authentic-campaigner.com/]G.H. Thomas' Invincibles[/URL]

[URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]

Comment

I have really enjoyed reading this thread, please keep it coming.

Comment

Working...
              X