Running the Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running the Block

Has anybody ever encountered this term on any records and what does it mean?
    Thanks,
    Andrew Turner
    Co.D 27th NCT
    Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Re: Running the Block

Hallo!

Are you sure of your expression?
    And not "Running the Blockade" perhaps?

Curt
    Who used to run the block but now goes to a Rec Center
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt,
      Yes, I am sure. I saw this on the service record of a man who was apparently arrested for the act of "running the block".
      Andrew Turner
      Co.D 27th NCT
      Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Probably trying to sneak out of camp without a pass by "outflanking" the guards.
        Bob Williams
        26th North Carolina Troops
        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Andrew,
          "Running the Block" is probably just a short version for "Running the Blockade." I have came by two meanings, one deals with the traditional meaning of a ship slipping by Union ships to get into a Confederate controlled port. The other is leaving your unit without the proper paperwork. For example:

Written by Pvt. Theodore A Honour, Co. A 25th South Carolina Infantry to his Wife.

Camp Gadberry, James Island, SC
          Monday Morning March 9th 1863

.............If you expect to see me without my "running the blockade" your expectations will not be realized- there is no prospect of a furlough as long as we are threatened by the Yankee raids- We expect an attack at any moment and furloughs are out of the question, and "Blockade runnig" more so. In the event of a fight I would not be absent for all the world- I would rather go to certain death that appear to shun it. I despise a coward.
          Sometime ago Father propsed me for membership in the "Fellowship Society", and I was of course elected, and Father paid my entrance fee, (another Kindness on his part) Next Wednesday is the Anniversary of the Society, and they are going to have their usual supper, and Fred & I have made up our minds to attend it, if we have to "run the blockade" to do so. "If caught up with" we will not have to do more that two days "extra," but I think we can so arrange it as not to miss any roll calls.................
          Last edited by NY Pvt; 06-20-2007, 02:07 PM. Reason: typo
          Dane Utter
          Washington Guard

Comment

Thanks for all the quick replies! This has puzzled me for some time and now I've got some answers!
            Thanks,
            Andrew Turner
            Co.D 27th NCT
            Liberty Rifles

Comment

Its in the book on the Little Fork Rangers, Co D 4th Va Cav, as a term for a person that is AWOL.
              William L. Shifflett
              Valley Light Horse and Lord of Louisa

"We are still expecting the enemy. Why dont he come?" -JEB Stuart

In Memory of 3 Sox, 4th Va Cavalry horse, my mount, my friend. Killed in action January 9th, 2005.

Comment

Just ran across this post. I thought folks might be interested to know that the phrase "running the block" is commonly used to this day at the Virginia Military Institute. As stated above it's short for "running the blockade", and refers to leaving your quarters after Taps. I never knew it's use dated back to the War!
                Bill Reagan
                23rd Reg't
                Va. Vol. Infy.

Comment

Just to throw in an example of what Mr. Reagan was talking about, Cadet Jacqueline Beverly Stanard, known to his friends as Jack or Bev, wrote a letter to his mother while in Staunton, VA on his way to what would become the Battle of New Market.

Staunton May the 12th 1864

My Darling Mother,

No doubt a letter written from this place will take you greatly by surprise. Well to relieve your anxiety I will tell you before going further and keep you from uneasiness. On Tuesday night an order came from Gen. Breckinridge calling us immediately to Staunton. In obedience to his orders we fixed up and left on
                  Wednesday morning at half past 8, marched 28 miles by half past two, when we camped. The roads were very good but were quite dusty and then it was very warm. This morning we left camp under quite different circumstances, it having rained during the night and has continued to do so all day, the roads were awful perfect loblolly all the way and we had to wade through like hogs. We came 18 miles from 5 to 12 however and are tonight encamped one mile out of town. I have run the blockade and come to take tea with Cary Taylor, and that I might write this letter. Am I not good? I have a strong notion of staying in until 2 tonight with him so as to dry off, for I have been like a wet mouse all day [-] so disagreeable in camp. We will leave in the morning early and expect to march to Harrisonburg (down the Valley) a distance of 26 miles.

The rest of the letter and other can be found in the book:
                  Letters of a New Market Cadet
                  Author: Beverly Stanard
                  Edited by: John G. Barrett and Robert K. Turner, Jr.
                  Copyright 1961
                  University of North Carolina Press

That is not the entire letter, but it gets the point across. Cary Taylor was also a Cadet at VMI who lived in Staunton so they ran the block to his house for a while that night to get out of the rain and to have a home cooked meal. And like Mr. Reagan said the term "running the block" is still used to this day basically meaning an unauthorized absence from the grounds.
                  [FONT=Century Gothic]Very Respectfully,
                  Brian G. Holt
                  VMI CWRT
                  61st New York
                  Co. E CVG
                  [/FONT]

Comment

Mmm running the block. I did it often and never got caught, but dont try it as a Rat though, bad things come of it.

I ran across some other examples similar to Cadet Stanards in other letters and writings in the VMI Archives. I also seem to recall a letter from Petersburg in 1864 from a member of the 32nd Va Infy who intended on going AWOL, but used the term "running the blockade" to go home to Williamsburg to visit family. I'll see if I can dig it up or find a source for it.
                    Cheers,
                    [COLOR=Red]Kirby Smith[/COLOR]

Loblolly Mess

Too many ancestors who served and events on the schedule to post here...

Comment

Working...
                    X