Looking for 1858 Uniform Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 1858 Uniform Photo

I've been asked to help locate a photo illustrating the standard 1858-9 Infantry uniform (Frock Coat, Dress hat, '55 rifle or rifle musket) to use in a museum display. The best photo I've seen so far is of the 3rd US Artillery at American Camp, San Juan Island in 1859 but the online quality is poor.

If anyone has a higher quality copy of this photo, knows its source, or can suggest another photo, drawing, etc that might help illustrate the uniform of this era I would appreciate the help.
    Last edited by AZReenactor; 06-26-2007, 03:13 PM.
    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Re: Looking for 1858 Uniform Photo

One good source is Bluecoats, The U.S. Army in the west 1848-1897, by John P. Langellier. Stackpole Books, Pennsylvania, ISBN 1-85367-221-1. The book has both photos and drawings. I hope this helps.

Rehards Glenn L Meek

Comment

How about the photo below from this site: http://narademo.umiacs.umd.edu/cgi-b...l?object=66356
      Last edited by roundshot; 01-20-2008, 04:34 PM.
      Bob Williams
      26th North Carolina Troops
      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll pass them along.
        Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
        1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
        Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

You might want to try the Sykes Regulars website. They might be able to point you in the right direction. Cheers!!
          Morgan B. Tittle

The Drunken Lullaby Mess

"... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language ... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
          Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Comment

Working...
          X